Asthma is the chronic disease of lungs that blocks the flow of air by narrowing the airways. It generally causes wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, chest tightness, etc. (1). It can affect a person of any age and generally starts during childhood. The inflammation of the airways makes it swell and when they react the muscle around them tightens. There can be two types of asthma, allergic and non-allergic. Allergic asthma involves the weakness of the immune system whereas, non-allergic asthma is caused due to stress, smoke, cold air, anxiety, etc (2). There are many factors that can trigger the disease like dust, waste, pollen, etc. It is vital to treat the disease as soon as it is diagnosed, as it may be life-threatening, if not treated at the time.
But, you don’t have to spend a lot of amount on the medicines, when it can be treated with easily available essential oils. There are several essential oils for an asthma attack that can do wonders for you and your kid. Have a look.
1. Lavender Oil
To use the oil for asthma, mix the oil with eucalyptus or peppermint oil and inhale it. Repeat it daily for best results.
- Alternatively, take a bowl filled with hot water and add a few drops of oil to it. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel. Inhale the steam to clear the airways.
2. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil possesses lots of medicinal qualities and is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, and antitussive (4). Therefore, it is used for several diseases like mouth thrush, respiratory infections, bronchitis, and asthma (5).
Take a bowl and fill it with hot water. Add a few drops of the oil to it and stir. Inhale the fumes after covering your head.
- Or else, just mix the oil with bergamot oil and apply it on your chest to ease the breathing.
3. Clove Oil
Clove oil is anti-inflammatory in nature and is a good source of manganese. It has been used traditionally for conditions, like arthritis, cold, cough, bronchitis, etc., including asthma (6).
To treat asthma, you can rub the oil on your chest after diluting it with carrier oil or water to get relief.
- Alternatively, place the oil in the vaporizer and diffuse the oil in the air for 20 minutes.
4. Frankincense Oil
The oil of frankincense is obtained after steam distillation of tree raisins. It is filled with a lot of qualities like anti-inflammatory, astringent, diuretic, etc., due to which it is used for numerous ailments. It is effective for the treatment of asthma and other respiratory disorders as well (7).
Just rub the oil on your chest to get rid of asthma.
- Additionally, pour the oil into the diffuser and let it spread in the air for some time.
5. Oregano Oil
The medicinal properties of the oil are attributed to the presence of vital compounds, like thymol and carvacrol. The capsules prepared from the oil are also used as a cure for asthma (8). You can use the oil at home to get cured.
For this, mix 25 drops of the oil with 25 oz of water, and inhale the steam.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of it in aroma burner and let the oil diffuse in the air.
6. Eucalyptus oil
Just add a few drops of the oil in a bowl filled with hot water and inhale the fumes to open up the congested airways.
7. Roman Chamomile Oil
Chamomile is the herb that is anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and anti-bacterial in nature. It has been used to treat many diseases, such as asthma, since long (11). You can also use the oil to get relief from asthma.
Simply mix roman chamomile oil and eucalyptus oil in equal proportions. Use this mixture to massage on your chest. Do this regularly until changes in the condition are noticed.
8. Marjoram Oil
Marjoram oil is extracted from the seeds, and studies have shown that consumption of the oil Improved the condition of asthmatic patients (12).
In order to treat asthma, consume 2 drops of the oil daily. It will not only cure the disease but will improve the functioning of lungs too.
9. Lemon Oil
The oil of lemon is also one of the best remedies for asthma. It is essential to clean the nasal passage if suffering from asthma. This oil helps clear it and also controls the symptoms of the disease (13).
For this, just put some oil in your nose with the help of a dropper to get relief.
10. Laurel Essential Oil
Laurel essential oil has been used as a remedy for respiratory diseases traditionally. It can effectively cure bronchitis and asthma, as studies reveal (14). It is also known to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, due to which, it can cure several diseases.
To use the oil for asthma, just inhale the fumes of the oil after adding a few drops of hot water. Repeat it as often as required.
11. Peppermint Oil
The oil of peppermint is anti-microbial in nature and is obtained by steam distillation of leaves. It is used to cure many diseases including asthma for long (15). The fumes of the oil can clear the stuffy nose and symptoms like coughing and wheezing.
Just take some of the oil on a cotton ball and inhale it for around 10-15 minutes to get relief. Do this whenever required.
- Alternatively, you can create a chest rub by mixing 2 drops of peppermint oil, 1 drop of lemon oil, 20 drops of carrier oil, and 8 drops of lavender oil. Massage the mixture on your chest for some time. Repeat it daily for satisfactory results.
Tips and Precautions
- Pregnant women must consult a doctor before using any of the essential oils.
- If the condition worsens, visit a doctor (16).
- Use allergy-proof bedsheets, pillow covers, and other upholstery.
- Don’t share toothbrush and toothpaste, when you have a cold (17).
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol, as it may worsen the situation.
- Do not let children ingest the oil.