The small air-filled sacs present within bones of the face and skull are referred as sinuses. They help keep the nasal track clean by producing mucus. Fungus, virus and bacteria are the major causes of sinus infection. However, it may be also be caused by chemicals and allergies. Facial swelling, cough, sore throat, nasal stuffiness, cloudy discolored drainage, fever, pain or pressure in the sinuses, facial tenderness, and sinus headache are some of the symptoms associated with the sinus infection. If not treated on time, it may result in other complications such as orbital cellulitis, osteomyelitis, brain abscess, and meningitis. So, how to get rid of a sinus infection at home? Here are some remedies for sinusitis that will help you reduce this health problem to a great extent.
Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
Garlic is a very powerful ingredient for killing the viruses and other infections causing agents. Boil some water in a pot and add a few cloves of crushed garlic to it. Once water is hot enough, remove the pot off gas. Now place your face over the pot and breathe in the steam with your head covering with a towel. Do this whenever you feel that the nasal passage is blocked. It will help thin the mucus, thus, provide instant relief.
- Alternatively, make some decoction by boiling some cloves of garlic in a pot of water. Once the water starts boiling, add turmeric powder and mix well. Drink 4-5 cups of it in a day.
- Adding garlic to your food can provide relief from sinus as well.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
The anti-inflammatory properties of fenugreek seeds are helpful in curing sinus. To make a cup of fenugreek tea, boil some fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Drink this tea at least 3 times in a day.
Note – Fenugreek can cause some side effects, therefore, one must consult a doctor before using this home remedy.
Since turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory properties, it helps reduce swelling inside the nasal cavity and is the best sinus infection cure. It also contains curcumin – a substance that speeds up the healing process. Add turmeric to your food while cooking it, or add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of warm water and drink it every night before you hit the sack.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV makes the mucus thin and helps clear your stuffy nose. Heat half a cup of water and add an equal amount of apple cider vinegar to it. When the water boils, remove the vessel from the heat and inhale the steam. Keep your eyes and mouth closed.
- Or else, mix ¼ cup of ACV and 16 oz of water in a glass. Drink this water during the day to get relief from sinus.
- Make some ACV tea by adding 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey to a cup of boiling water. Strain it and drink. Have about 3 cups in a day for better results.
5. Carom Seeds
Carom seeds dilute the mucus so that you can breathe easily. Simply crush the carom seeds and add them to a cup of boiling water. Once the water is hot enough, remove it from the heat. Now inhale the steam.
- Alternatively, you can wrap some carom seeds in a cloth. Tie it to form a small bag and hang it around your neck. Do this just before going to bed so that your nose does not get clogged up at night.
6. Tomato Soup
Tomatoes are full of fiber and vitamin C. They also have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling in the nasal cavity, especially in the mucous membrane. To make a healthy tomato soup, simply boil a cup of tomato juice in a pan and add 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it. Mix the ingredients and bring to a boil. Drink at least two bowls of this hot soup every day.
The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger make it an excellent cure for sinus infection and cold. Add ginger to your food, or prepare ginger tea and sip it.
8. Saline Solution
Saline solution is one of the excellent sinus infection remedies. Take ½ a glass of warm water and add ½ teaspoon of salt and an equal amount of baking soda to it. Mix well and add another ½ glass of normal water. Make sure the water is not too hot. Now pour the saline solution in a neti pot. Stand over a sink and tilt your head sideways. Now pour the saline solution using the neti pot into the upper nostril so that it can come out of the lower nostril. Do this 3 times in each nostril.
Note: Do not perform this before going to bed as it may cause an ear infection.
Onions have anti-bacterial properties which assist in sinus infection treatment. Include it in your diet as a salad. Alternatively, add the chopped onion to a pot of water. When the water is hot and you see steam coming out of it, remove the pot from the heat and inhale the steam. Cover your head with a towel while inhaling steam. Make sure to keep your eyes closed; otherwise, it may cause tingling in your eyes.
10. Hot Compress
Dip a small washcloth in some hot water, squeeze and remove the excess water. Now place it on the forehead. Do this several times in a day to get relief from the facial pain caused by sinus.
Acupressure is a good treatment for sinus infection relief. You can either get a professional to help you with this or do it on your own. Using your fingertips, apply pressure on the sides of the nose at the point where the eyebrows meet.
12. Carrot Juice
Drink a glass of carrot juice everyday in the morning as it contains vitamin A which is very helpful in the treatment of sinus.
Herbal Remedies for Sinus
13. Oregano Oil
Oregano is one of the ideal natural remedies for sinus infection due to its healing properties. Just pour a few drops of this oil in the boiling water. When it gets boiled properly, remove it from the heat and inhale the steam twice a day.
14. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint gives your body a cooling sensation. Add about a teaspoon of peppermint leaves into a kettle of hot water and allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Sieve into a cup and drink the tea.
15. Basil Leaves
Basil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that make it a superb natural remedy for sinus infection. It drains out the mucus. Simply add washed basil leaves into a kettle of hot water and allow it to steep for a while. Sieve the liquid into a cup and sip it.
16. Green Tea
Green tea has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that will help cure your sinus infection. Drink at least two cups of green tea daily.
Horseradish is spicy by nature, therefore, opens up the blocked nasal cavity. Wash and grate a small piece of horseradish. Now place a few pieces of the grated horseradish in your mouth and suck the juice. When the flavor fades away, swallow the radish. This will help you get rid of the mucus in the throat as well as the nose.
18. Lemon Balm
You can make a lemon balm solution and gargle with it to cure your sinus infection. Simply boil some water and add a handful of dried lemon balm leaves to it. Continue boiling for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat. Allow the water to cool down and then strain the mixture. Pour it in a glass and gargle with it twice a day.
19. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil helps clear the infection and makes the respiratory system strong. It is a quick fix for treating your sinus.
20. Grapefruit Seed
The pulp of the grapefruit is citric in nature and has antibiotic properties which aid in the treatment of sinus infection. Take 5 drops of the grapefruit seed extract and add it to 6 ounces of water. Mix the ingredients together and drink it two times a day.
Note – Some people are allergic to grapefruit, therefore, seek medical advice before you try this remedy.
- Eat a balanced diet and include onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper and chilies to your food as they improve the flow of mucus.
- Consume sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, mangoes and tomatoes to increase the intake of vitamin A.
- Drink plenty of water and other liquids to keep your body hydrated.
- Implement good personal hygiene such as washing your hands frequently so that you can prevent any bacteria from entering your body.
- Treat cold as soon as possible.
- Keep your head elevated when you sleep.
- Do regular exercise and yoga.
- Rest as much as possible and get enough sleep.
- Open the windows of your house for fresh air.
- Take cod liver oil capsules as they help make your immune system stronger. But consult your doctor before taking it.
- Take a hot shower in the morning and before going to bed.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, caffeinated and carbonated drinks.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not consume dairy products such as ice-cream and milk.
- If you are allergic to any food, refrain from them as it can increase the problem.
- Avoid fried and oily foods.
- Keep away from air pollutants and chemicals.
Always consult your doctor and find out what to take for sinus infection, apart from the above remedies.