Lizards are the unsolicited guests that are capable of creating hassle in your home. Although lizards feed on mosquitoes, pests, and spiders and keep the environment clean, but regardless of this fact, their presence is unsettling. This small creepy creature does not cause harm, but its single glance might make you sprint in sheer fright. They move very fast and their size may vary from 3 to 6 inches or even bigger. If you see a lizard crawling on your wall, don’t get anxious. Before you switch on to any home remedies to get rid of lizards, clean out the piles of newspaper, magazines, laundry, messy kitchen and throw out the garbage as soon as possible. The lizard repellents available in the market can be harmful to your pets and children. Here are some eco-friendly ways to drive out lizards from your home.
1. Egg Shells
Lizards will leave the place because the odor of eggs will make lizards assume that there is another organism present in the premises. Keep some egg shells around the corners of your house, doors, and windows (1).
2. Coffee Powder
This is a very effective method to get rid of lizards. Combine tobacco and coffee powder and make balls. Keep the prepared balls on every corner of the house and the places where lizards hide the most. After eating these balls, they will either die or move away from your house (2).
- Alternatively, you can place some garlic cloves in the corners and the entrances of the house or spray garlic juice in the lizard-prone areas.
4. Pepper Spray
Pepper spray irritate lizards. This remedy will make them run away. Prepare a solution by mixing crushed black pepper and water. Spray this solution all around the house, in kitchen racks, under the stove, fridge and tube light corners (4).
Onion contain sulphur compounds which are responsible for bad odour. Lizards can’t tolerate the pungent smell of onion. Hang some onions around all the doors, windows and all the other possible entrances. Or else, keep some onions in the areas encroached by the lizards. This creepy reptile will leave the place soon (5, 6).
- Alternatively, you can spray a solution made of onion juice and water to repel the lizards.
6. Naphthalene Balls
Naphthalene balls keep the lizards far away from home. Just place them in the corners, wardrobes, under the stove, water sinks and entrance of your dwelling. This is the most prevalent home remedy for lizards (7).
- You may also use moth balls in place of naphthalene balls.
Flypaper not only traps the flies, but also lizards. Paste this paper on the wall. The lizards will stick to it and then you can easily throw them away from your house (8).
8. Cold Water
Spray ice-cold water on lizard whenever you see it. This is one of the easiest and effective ways to get rid of lizards. The cold water will make them immobile for a while. You can throw it away while it is still (9).
9. Tabasco Sauce
Like black pepper spray, lizards also hate the smell of spicy Tabasco sauce too. Mix 2 teaspoons of this sauce with water and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the window panes, back of the cupboards or corners of the house, to keep the lizards away (10).
10. Peacock Feathers
Place peacock feathers at the places where you generally see the lizards. Since peacocks eat lizards, so you can scare these reptiles by putting peacock feathers at the entrance (11).
11. Phenyl Tablets
Just place the phenyl tablets at all the possible entryways of your house. The smell of phenyl repels the lizards and keeps them away from your house.
12. Cardboard Box Method
If you do not want to harm the lizard in any way, then simply trap it in a cardboard box and throw it away.
- Keep your house clean, mop the floor regularly and, specially, after every meal.
- Use metal screens to cover the window openings (12).
- Light attracts lizards, so try to keep lights off when you discover any lizard outside the home.
- You can also own a cat. It will surely help you out.
- Just keep your home insect free. If lizards do not find their prey, they will naturally leave the place.
- Place your furniture 6 inches away from the wall.
- Block small openings using sealants like foam, silicone, steel wool, etc (13, 14, 15).
- Proper sanitation help reduce lizards (16).
- Do not keep the trash cans filled for long as these attract the lizards.
- Do not keep the windows and gates open for long.
- Don’t spill food on the floor.
- Avoid hanging lot of pictures as lizards love to hang out behind them.
- Drain out the standing water.