Black eye (also known as periorbital hematoma) as the name suggests is blackening of the area surrounding the eye. Black eye may cause embarrassment and is the consequence of bruising around the eye, which is light earlier and darkens as the days pass. Sometimes allergic reactions, insect bites and cellulitis may also result in the black eye. Swelling, black coloring around the eye, blurred vision, and difficulty in opening the eye are the most common symptoms one can experience. At times, in very serious cases, loss of vision, pain while moving the eye, blood coming out of the eye, headache, nausea or unconsciousness might occur. Therefore, to get rid of black eye, here are some “must try” home remedies.
Home Remedies for Black Eye
1. Cold Compress
Ice is foolproof and most trusted remedy to cure black eye as it constricts the blood vessels, thus reducing the swelling. It even makes the area numb and reduces the pain to a very great extent. Wrap some ice cubes in a muslin cloth and apply it regularly on the affected area.
- One of the easiest ways to cure black eye is to refrigerate a metal spoon and apply it. It will inhibit the inflammation and irritation.
Note: Do not apply the ice or cold objects directly to the affected area as it may worsen the condition.
2. Tea Bags
Tea bags can turn out to be very helpful in fading the bruise in a few days and accelerate the recovery process. Boil tea bags in some amount of water and then apply the prepared solution with the help of a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can even put the warm tea bag on the eye.
3. Warm Compress
This process should be tried after 2 days of the injury. A warm compress will accelerate the blood circulation to the affected area. Take a towel and immerse it in the warm water. Apply it on the eye. Repeat the same process for 10-15 minutes every alternate hour.
Note: Do not directly wash your eye with warm water.
Potato is an excellent cure to combat the pain and swelling. Cut the potato into thick slices and let them cool in the refrigerator. Keep the chilled slice on the eye until it turns warm. It will reduce the pain instantly. Repeat the process till the black eye gets completely cured.
- Alternatively, you can grate a potato and apply it on the eye for about 15-20 minutes a day.
5. Boiled Egg
Boiled egg has been used for several years to treat bruises. All you require is a boiled and peeled egg. Apply it on the eye when warm. Roll it on the affected area till it cools down. Boil the egg again and repeat the process 2-3 times a day.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a proven remedy to treat the black eye. Mix cayenne pepper (1 tablespoon) in Vaseline (5 tablespoons) and apply the resulting mixture on the eye, twice a day.
Note: Take extra care so that it doesn’t enter the eye and if it does, then wash immediately.
Cucumber is a cooling agent and has anti-inflammatory properties. Cut the cucumber into slices and let it cool down for a while in the refrigerator. After that, apply the slice on the eye till it turns warm. Repeat this process at regular intervals, daily.
8. Pineapple and Papaya
Pineapple and papaya help speed up the healing process and are natural antioxidants. They put a stop to the growth of infection. Take the pulp of both the fruits and apply on the affected area, or you can even drink their juice so as to make the skin healthier.
Soak some oatmeal in warm water and apply the paste so formed on the eye, to soothe the skin and reduce the swelling. Repeat it for about 5-6 days.
10. Vitamin C and K
In order to repair the broken veins and recover fast, add a lot of vitamin C fruits and vegetables in your diet. Fruits like Indian gooseberry, lemon, orange, bell peppers, mango, kiwi, pineapple, and guava will do the work for you.
- Being an excellent antioxidant, vitamin K helps heal the damaged blood vessels and capillaries. Thus, include prunes, cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, dark leafy veggies, Brussels sprouts, and other vitamin K-rich food in your diet.
Herbal Remedies to Cure Black Eye
Calendula helps alleviate the inflammation around the area and reduces the swelling. Take calendula petals and boil them in a cup of water. Apply the resultant solution with the help of a washcloth or towel, twice a day.
12. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has been used by American-Indians for treating many ailments like bruises, sores, and swelling. Dilute the witch hazel extract (about 10 drops in 100 ml of water) and apply on the affected area with a cotton ball.
13. Olive Oil
Olive oil is yet another simple and effective remedy to get rid of black eye easily. Just take some olive oil and massage on the affected area with light hands for 5-10 minutes, 2-3 times a day, until the results are achieved.
14. Bloodroot Paste
Bloodroot herb has been extensively used since ages to treat skin diseases, and is one of the natural remedies for the black eye. Dissolve bloodroot powder in the adequate amount of water and apply the paste on the affected area for a week.
- Do not use bloodroot on the skin for a long time.
- Pregnant women should avoid this remedy.
It is yet another best remedy for the black eye. Arnica not only helps remove the swelling but also rebuilds the ruptured tissues and muscles. It should be applied as early as possible before the bruise turns worse. Take arnica oil and massage it 3-4 times a day without applying much force.
16. Comfrey Root
Comfrey root is another trusted remedy which helps rejuvenate the skin cells. Make a paste of comfrey root herb (1 teaspoon) and water (1/2 teaspoon). Apply it on the eye for 5-10 minutes daily.
- Alternatively, you can boil the herb in the adequate amount of water and apply the prepared solution (when warm) on the eye with the help of a cloth.
- Keep your head elevated all the time to reduce swelling.
- Regularly massage the area with natural oil.
- Wear glasses every time you step out, to protect your eyes from dust, dirt, and pollution.
- Drink lots of water to keep your body well-hydrated.
- Take a lot of rest and sleep on time.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes; otherwise, it will cause more pain.
- Avoid using makeup when the portion is still swelled as it’ll make it more itchy and swollen.
- Do not use warm compress before 2 days as it’ll make the bruise darker.