Ants are the most common critters that can be found in yards, garden, and forests. They enter your house by forming colonies, in search of food and water. Sugar ants can vary from 2-15mm of size. The male ants are of black color and females are of red color. Sugar ants, as the name suggests, are attracted to sweets and feed on bread and other fatty things. They are beneficial at times too, as they feed on other insects, pests, and help recycle the organic matter. But when they intrude into your house, they become a problem and while they are not as damaging as carpenter ants, and they don’t sting like fire ants, they are a nuisance. Sugar ants can spoil many things like meat, cheese, nuts, honey, bread, etc. If you want to know how to get rid of sugar ants, then look no further. Our home remedies for sugar ants will keep them far from your home.
Mop the floor after every meal so as to remove all the leftover food. Mopping will also remove their trails which will baffle them, and they won’t come often (1).
2. Black Pepper
Another great way to get rid of sugar ants is to sprinkle black pepper on their trails or the place where they live. You can even sprinkle it around the corners of the kitchen.
Mix water and vinegar (white vinegar or apple cider vinegar) in equal proportions to make a solution. Spray the prepared solution on the window panes, floor, or on any other such entrance, to hinder the way of sugar ants (2, 3).
It may sound weird, but it is easy to catch ants by putting bait for them. Take a box and make 2-3 holes in it. Pour some maple syrup or peanut butter in it. After 2-3 hours, you’ll see many sugar ants sticking to the box and you can easily take the box out (4).
Borax is a poisonous mineral for these tiny creatures. Its a great sugar ant killer. Mix it with some sugary food item and keep it in open for some time. You will see the results after a short time. Regular use of this method will help you exterminate the whole colony of the ants (5).
6. Boric Acid
If you want to know not only how to get rid of sugar ants, but also what is best sugar ant killer, then look no further. Boric acid is the solution.
- Alternatively, sprinkle the boric acid powder on the ant-infested areas. This is the best remedy to kill sugar ants.
- Boric acid is an ant killer. Make a mixture of boric acid, water and sugar. Soap some paper towels in the mixture, put it on the dishes and use it to get rid of ants (11).
- Add boric acid to some sugar and sprinkle the mixture outside on known ant trails, or even better, near the nest. The ants will take the poisoned sugar back to the nest and kill the entire colony.
7. Whole Clove
Whole clove is one of the strongest repellents of any kind of insect. As the ants don’t like the smell of clove, keep them at all the entrances. You’ll see that the number of ants is decreasing (12).
Sugar ants, apart from eating sweets, can attack bread crumbs and other eatables. Wiping the counter and floors with bleach after cooking and consuming the meal will help erase the traces of the ants and the leftover food (13).
Sugar ants cannot digest the cornmeal and is tori to them. You can make a great sugar ant killer by adding some sugar to cornmeal, to make it attractive bait. The ants will take the mixture back to the nest and poison the colony.
10. Lemon Juice
Ants cannot stand the citrus smell of lemon juice (14).
Spraying it around the home will help you get rid of them. All you have to do is mix lemon juice and water in the ratio of 1:3 and sprinkle it on the ant-infested areas.
- You can use the leftover peels of lemon to make a spray, to combat ants. All you have to do is take the peels and boil them in the adequate amount of water for 10-15 minutes. Then sieve the prepared solution after it cools down and spray it on the infested areas.
11. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another effective remedy to get rid of sugar ants as it is lethal for them and the whole colony. It is a fantastic stage ant killer. Mix powdered sugar and baking soda in a jar and keep it open for some time. The ants will get collected in the jar. Take the jar out of the house.
13. Grounded Coffee
Take some grounded coffee and fill it in the cracks from where you suspect the ants to enter. The aroma of the coffee will compel them to change their path.
Some spices kept in your kitchen can easily help you win the war with the ants. You can make a borderline outside all the main entrances with the help of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, chalk or red chili powder, and the ants will remain outside your house (17, 18, 19).
Mix 1 tablespoon each of sugar and yeast, and 2 tablespoons of molasses. Put this bait in a covered container containing holes. The ants will get attracted to it (21).
16. Cucumber peelings
You can spray cucumber peelings where there is ant infestation. This will kill ants naturally and in a non toxic way (22).
Herbal Remedies for Sugar Ants
17. Bay Leaves
One of the best measures to repel sugar ants is to use bay leaves. They can’t resist the strong smell of the leaves. You can keep the leaves on the corners of the window and other prudent places (23).
Peppermint oil helps keep the ants away because of its strong smell. You can spray it on the floors or window panes to keep the sugar ants away. Peppermint also makes your house smell good. Planting some mint outside your home can also repel the ants (24).
19. Essential Oils
Essential oils like lemon, orange, clove, tea tree and peppermint oil are great sugar ant killers. Spray these oils around different corners of your house or in the parts where you suspect them to live. This is the best way to get rid of sugar ants (25).
- Always keep the counters, kitchen sink, and floors clean (26, 27).
- Throw away the trash bin waste regularly (28).
- Keep all the food items in the refrigerator or air-tight containers (29, 30, 31).
- Vacuum the floor mats regularly so that none of the leftover remains (32, 33).
- As trash bags get punctured easily and are attacked by ants, so use strong trash bags.
- Block openings in your home (34).
- Do not keep any food item in open.
- Do not keep the windows open for too long.