Nothing irritates more than a painful shoulder. It might happen to anyone of any age. The worst thing about shoulder pain is that you are not able to concentrate on anything because of the bugging ache. One of the biggest reasons for shoulder pain is the long sitting office hours in front of computers. The lack of movement causes stiff muscles that further promote the pain in the shoulder. The other causes for shoulder pain might be an injury to soft tissues, muscles, and ligaments of shoulders, bursitis, frozen shoulder or strained muscles. You can get many shoulder pain relief balms and other medicines in the market, but they do come along with some side-effects. For minor shoulder pains, you can opt for natural remedies that aid in shoulder pain treatment. Here is a list of home remedies to get rid of shoulder pain.
Natural Remedies to Treat Shoulder Pain
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can give you relief from shoulder pain as it improves the blood circulation and release the stress not only from your shoulder but also from the whole body. Fill you bathtub with lukewarm water. Pour two cups of Epsom salt in it. Mix thoroughly so that the salt gets dissolved in water properly. Now, sit in this water with your shoulders submerged for 20-25 minutes. Repeat it thrice a week to get better results.
- Alternatively, you can soak a towel in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. Put this towel on your shoulder to treat shoulder pain.
Turmeric is an effective pain reliever, whether consumed orally or applied topically on the affected area. It is anti-inflammatory in nature, thus, can give relief from the pain and swelling. Add a tbsp of coconut oil to two tbsps of turmeric powder to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area of your shoulder. Wait for it to dry, and wash off with warm water afterwards. Do it twice daily until you get rid of the pain.
- Alternatively, add a tsp of turmeric powder in a cup of milk and stir well. Boil this milk and add honey to sweeten it. Drink it two times a day to aid the healing process.
- Or, you can also apply the paste of turmeric and olive oil to your shoulder to get relief from the pain.
Note: Don’t consume too much of turmeric, if you are taking blood thinning medicines.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is a one stop solution to treat various disorders in your body. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and alkaline agent to give relief from the pain. You can take a bath in a tub filled with warm water after adding two cups of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to it. Sit in this water for 20-30 minutes to relax your body. Do it daily for a few days to get prolonged relief.
- Or else, mix a tbsp of ACV in a glass of warm water and a little honey. Drink it, two times a day to boost the healing process.
Besides being an anti-inflammatory agent, ginger is packed with several antioxidants too. It improves the blood circulation in your body and boosts up the healing process. Add a tsp of thinly sliced ginger to two cups of simmering water for ten minutes. Strain it and add honey to sweeten the taste. Drink this decoction to treat the shoulder pain.
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil can provide relief from shoulder pain. It improves the blood circulation and reduces stiffness and swelling. Heat some olive oil for a few seconds and allow it to cool. Ask someone to massage it on your shoulder. Apply pressure and squeeze the shoulder muscles well to release the stress. Do it for ten minutes. Repeat it a few times daily to get relief from the pain.
6. Lime and Honey
If your shoulder pain is due to arthritis, then it is the best home remedy for you. Add juice of one lime to a glass of warm water. Add honey to make it sweet. Consume it daily to flush the toxins out of your body.
7. Hot Water treatment
Hot water compress can help heal the inflammation and swelling in the sore muscles of your shoulder. Fill a hot water bag and place it on the shoulder while lying down comfortably on the bed. Keep it there for 10-15 minutes. Do it few times in a day to get complete relief.
- Or, you can also take a warm water shower for 5-10 minutes daily. Stand still for this duration. Do it twice daily to get better results.
Note: Make sure that water is not too hot to burn your skin.
8. Cold Compress
A cold compress helps relieve the pain as it numbs the affected area. Thus, reduces pain and inflammation. Place some ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap it in a thin towel. Put it on the aching shoulder for 10-15 minutes. Do it 2-3 times a day to relieve the pain.
- Alternatively, use a towel soaked in cold water to relax the sore muscles. It will help treat the pain.
Note: Do not put ice cubes directly on your skin as it may cause frostbite.
9. Black Sesame Seeds
Black sesame seeds are a rich source of calcium and magnesium that enhances the bone health. Besides, the presence of minerals like copper and zinc helps reduce joint pain and swelling. Take a handful of black seeds and soak them in water overnight. Consume these seeds along with water in the morning. It should be done for a few days to get the desired results.
- Alternatively, roast black sesame seeds and sprinkle them on salad, soups or yogurt.
Garlic is an ultimate anti-inflammatory agent. Take 3-4 cloves of garlic and mash them after removing the skin. Heat it in quarter a cup of mustard oil. Apply this oil on your shoulder and massage gently. It will help alleviate the pain.
- Or, you can also use plain garlic oil to massage affected areas of your shoulder.
Exercises for Shoulder Pain
Most of the times, the shoulder pain is caused by stiffness of muscles. It is due to incorrect sitting or standing position for a long time. To treat it, you should try stretches for shoulder pain. Below are some exercises that can help reduce the shoulder pain.
11. Chest Expansion
To perform this exercise, you can use an exercise band, rope or strap. Put this rope behind your back and hold it from both of your hands. Lift your chin up while drawing the shoulder blades towards each other. Breathe and release deeply for 10-15 seconds. Repeat it 3-5 times.
12. Arm-Across-Chest Stretch
It is a simple exercise that can relax your muscles easily. Put your right arm in front of you, near your waist. With your left hand, hold the elbow of the outstretched hand and keep pulling it inwards, until you feel stress in your shoulder. Keep it there for 30-40 seconds and then, relax. Repeat the same with your left arm. Do it 3-5 times.
13. Seated Twist
Sit straight on a chair with your knees touching each other. Move your torso to right while placing your left hand on the outside of your right thigh. Look towards your right and relax your shoulders while gently pushing the right thigh. Take a deep breath for 10-15 seconds and release. Repeat it with your left arm. Do it 3-5 times.
14. Neck Release
Sometimes, the pain in the shoulder is actually due to the stress in your neck. Neck release exercise relieves the stress in your neck, and in turn, soothes the shoulder pain. Sit straight up in a chair and move your chin slowly towards your chest until you feel a stretch at the back of your neck. Lean your head to the right to stretch the left shoulder and vice-versa. Hold each stretch for up to one minute. Breathe deeply to relax. Repeat it 3-5 times.
15. 90, 90 Shoulder Twist
You need to stand in a doorway to do this exercise. Hold your arms up so that your elbow makes a 90 degree angle and your arm is at 90 degree angle with your body. Put each of your hand on each side of the doorframe. Place one foot forward while standing straight with your neck aligning with the spine. Lean forward to brace yourself against the doorframe. Hold the position for 20-30 seconds. Do it 2-3 times.
Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of Shoulder Pain
16. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil can help relax the tired muscles and relieve the pain and inflammation. Fill the bathtub with warm water. Add a few drops of lavender oil to it. Sit in the bath tub and soak your shoulders in this water for about half an hour. Do it once a day to get relief from shoulder pain.
- Alternatively, mix a few drops of lavender oil in 2 tbsp of warm olive oil. Massage it on your shoulder for ten minutes to relieve the pain and stress. Do it twice a day for a few days.
Alfalfa is a useful herb to cure pain and swelling. It improves the blood circulation and thus, reduces the inflammation. Steep a few alfafa leaves in hot water for five minutes. Strain this tea and drink one or two cups daily to get the desired results.
Mint acts as a cooling agent and reduces the burning sensation in the aching shoulder. Take a few mint leaves and crush them. Add some water to make a paste. Apply it on the affected area of your shoulder to soothe the pain.
Do’s and Don’ts
1) Put a pillow below your neck while sleeping to elevate the affected areas of shoulder and to prevent further pain and swelling.
2) Sit and stand in a correct posture to heal the pain quickly.
3) You can also opt for acupressure to treat the pain but take professional help.
4) Apply pain relief gel containing 0.0125% of capsaicin.
5) Drink warm lemon water once or twice a day to prevent mineral deposits in your joints.
6) Take appropriate rest.
7) Keep you elbow by your side to give rest to your shoulder.
8) Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
9) Consult a doctor if the problem persists.
1) Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol as they slow down the healing process.
2) Avoid intense exercise regime, if you have an injury on your shoulder.
3) Avoid sitting in the same posture for long hours. Keep stretching in between.