Runny nose, also called Rhinorrhea in medical terms, occurs due to excessive nasal discharge resulted due to inflammation and irritation of the internal linings of sinuses and nasal passages. The most prominent causes that trigger runny nose are cold weather, dust allergy, pollens, pets, dry and hot hair and cold things. Delaying the treatment of this ailment leads to headache, earache, and other problems. There are several home remedies to get rid of runny nose fast. The advantages of using natural remedies are that they have no side-effects and inexpensive.
Home Remedies for Runny Nose
1. Salt Water
Mix ½ tbsp of salt in a cup of water. Use a dropper to pour two drops of this solution in each of your nostrils and inhale it. Now blow your nose to push out excess mucus. Repeat this 3-4 times a day or as and when required for a few days till your condition improves.
- Heat some water and add some salt to it. Use this water to gargle 2-3 times a day. This will clear the toxins and viral infection in throat.
2. Mustard Oil
Heat some mustard oil until it is warm. Pour two drops of this oil in each of your nostrils. Repeat this 2-3 times a day till the nasal passage clears.
- Alternatively, heat 2-3 tbsp of mustard oil and add 1 tbsp of caraway seeds in it. Inhale the steam. The hot and pungent aroma of mustard oil will trigger the respiratory system and open the blocked nose, thereby provide you instant relief from runny nose.
- Or else, take 2 tbsp of mustard oil, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 pinch of salt. Heat this mixture and swallow. It works best if taken just before going to bed.
Boil some water in a large bowl. Add some drops of eucalyptus or menthol oil in it. Keep your face towards the bowl and cover your head with a thick towel to trap the steam. Inhale it slowly.
Note – Keep your face off if you find steam too hot, to avoid burns.
Apply pressure on the corner of your nose, alternating between two nostrils. While applying pressure, ensure that the nostrils are closed completely. Repeat this process for 10 minutes. Similarly, apply some pressure to the area just above eyes and then release. Repeat this for 10 minutes to get relief from runny nose.
Mix 1 tbsp of turmeric powder into linseed oil and heat it until it starts giving flames. Inhale this steam for about 1-2 minutes. This must be done twice daily to cure runny nose.
- Alternatively, swallow ½-1 tbsp of turmeric powder with water. It will help loosen the stuffed mucus in your throat.
- Or else, mix ½ tbsp of turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink it before you sleep. You can even add some crushed black pepper along with turmeric in milk for faster relief.
- Drink turmeric herbal tea. Prepare it by adding turmeric powder, cinnamon, clove, ginger, honey and black pepper to water and boil. Steep and sip 2-3 times a day for reducing the inflammation in respiratory tract and quickly relieving the problem of runny nose.
Boil some garlic in water. Strain this mixture and add some sugar to it. Take this soup twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can even chew two garlic cloves daily to get rid of runny nose.
- Or else, you can even take capsules containing garlic.
Sprinkle some salt over ginger pieces and chew them throughout the day to alleviate the problem of running and blocked nose quickly.
- Alternatively, grate 1 tbsp of ginger and boil it in 1 cup of water. Strain. Add 1 tbsp of honey into this mixture and sip. Drink this tea 2-3 times a day to clear respiratory passage and get rid of runny nose.
- Or else, boil some ginger powder or grated ginger in water and inhale the steam.
Mix 1-2 tbsp of honey in warm milk and drink it two times daily.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tbsp each of honey and fresh lemon juice in a glass of warm water and drink it warm. This remedy helps cure the problem of runny nose.
- Or else, mix a pinch of cinnamon powder and some drops of lemon juice in 1 tbsp of honey. Take this mixture daily to cure runny nose.
9. Lemon Juice
Mix juice of ½ lemon in 1 cup of water along with 1 pinch of salt and drink.
Note – It works best if taken with warm water.
10. Cayenne Pepper
Include cayenne pepper in your diet. This will clear the congestion in nasal passage and treat runny nose effectively.
11. Hot Compress
Soak a towel in hot water and twist it to drain the excess water. Keep this towel over your face. It will improve your condition by loosening mucus.
12. Onion Tea
Cut slices of onion and add them to boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and then strain it. Inhale the steam and sip the tea. This will open the clogged nasal pores and alleviate the problem of runny nose.
Herbal Remedies for Runny Nose
Chew a piece of horseradish and hold it in your mouth till the flavor dissipates. Swallow it afterwards.
- Alternatively, add a piece of horseradish and onion to boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and then strain the mixture. Sip this tea 2-3 times a day to get relief from runny nose.
14. Basil Leaves
Chew some basil leaves in morning and before going to bed at night.
- Alternatively, eat 2-3 basil leaves along with some jaggery two times a day to get rid of common cold and runny nose.
- Or else, boil some basil leaves with 2 cloves in water. Strain this mixture and add some sugar to it. Drink it.
15. Eucalyptus Oil
Add 7 drops of eucalyptus oil, 4 drops of lavender oil, 4 drops of peppermint oil to a large bowl of boiling water and inhale the steam. Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Another option is to put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief and inhale the smell throughout the day. This is an effective way to treat runny nose.
Crush some dried thyme leaves and inhale it.
- Alternatively, mix some dried thyme leaves in mustard oil and heat it. Inhale the steam. This will open your clogged nasal passages and subsequently cure runny nose.
17. Herbal Tea
Add garlic, ginger, cinnamon, onion, lemon and honey in water and steep for 5 minutes. Strain this mixture and sip it 2-3 times a day. It acts as a natural remedy for runny nose and soothes the inflammation and fights against viral infection.
18. Stinging Nettle
Add fresh nettle leaves to water. Bring the water to boil and strain this mixture. Sip as tea 2 times to cure the symptoms of runny nose.
Add ¼ astragalus roots to boiling water and steep it for 5 minutes. Strain this mixture and sip this tea 2-3 times a day to treat the symptoms.
- Massage each of your earlobes for 10 seconds.
- Use filtered water to clean the nasal opening.
- Blow out the excess mucus and fluid buildup in your nose. Use soft, unscented tissues for this purpose.
- Drink lots of warm water, fruit juices and soups.
- Get adequate rest.
- Use a humidifier in dry and cold weather.
- Take steam bath to get rid of nasal congestion.
- Take hot water shower, and breathe in-out to blow out mucus.
- Have tea (black or herbal) or coffee to soothe sore throat.
- Sleep with head in an elevated position.
- If you have pets in your house, consider staying away from them for a few days.
- Do not go near dust mites, foods and plants that cause allergy.
- Avoid smoking.
- Refrain from spicy and oil-rich foods.