It is your hairdo which makes you look fascinating. Who doesn’t want to try different styles of braids and buns every day? But some of you may have to resort to same hairstyle because you have parted ways with lustrous and healthy hair. The frequent use of dryer, straightener, and other hair styling products may ruin the quality of your hair and steals their natural shine and strength resulting in frizzy strands and split ends. Split ends, also known as Trichoptilosis schizotrichia, may also be caused due to excessive exposure to heat, UV rays, dust and pollution, excessive use of gels, serums, dryers and sprays, washing with hot water, not using conditioners, not massaging in hair oil, recurrent use of color and dyes, and swimming in the chlorinated water. Here, we present some of the home remedies to get rid of split ends in a natural and effective manner.
Home Remedies for Split Ends
Mix egg white with 2 tbsp each of olive oil, honey, and almond oil. Apply it as hair mask and wash off after 30-45 minutes. The moisture present in the egg helps fix the problem of split ends.
- Alternatively, beat some egg with 2 spoons of water and apply it as shampoo.
- You can even add egg white with ripe banana and orange juice. Apply this prepared mask. Keep it for 30-40 minutes. Finally, wash off with warm water.
- Whisk one egg white with olive oil / almond oil and apply it as a mask on hair. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes before washing off with a mild shampoo.
- Blend one egg with 1 tbsp of honey and ½ cup of milk. Apply it as hair pack for 30 minutes, and then wash off with a mild shampoo and cold water. The smell of egg will go away once hair dries.
2. Castor Oil
Blend some castor oil with olive oil and mustard oil. Use the mixture to massage your scalp. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo after 1 hour for frizz-free hair and to get rid of split ends fast.
Combine ½ cup each of ripe papaya and yogurt. Blend it and apply on hair for 30 minutes. Then wash off with the help of shampoo and cold water. It must be applied 2-3 times a month or at least once a week. This pack will give a natural shine along with strengthening to your hair.
Combine some honey and curd. Give your hair a massage with this mixture. Let it stay for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. This remedy will relieve you from the problem of split ends and will restore the original luster to your strands.
- Alternatively, mix 3 tbsp each of honey and olive oil. Apply the resultant mixture on your hair and then wash off after 20 minutes. This remedy effectively treats the split ends.
- Make your own hair mask by mixing 1 egg yolk in 3 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of honey. Spread it on your hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse off using warm water and mild shampoo. This will rejuvenate your hair giving them new life and shine.
- Mix 2-3 tbsp of honey in ½ cup of water. Use it as a rinse after shampooing your hair. Let it stay for 2-3 minutes and then wash off with warm water for the best results. This will alleviate split ends and make your hair bouncy and manageable.
Mix 1 tbsp of cream with half cup of milk and apply it as hair pack. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off. Your hair will become smooth, soft and less susceptible to split ends.
6. Hot Oil Treatment
Massage your hair with warm olive oil / coconut oil / argan oil; and wrap your hair with a towel soaked in hot water. This is one of the simplest and best split ends treatment.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tbsp each of olive oil, coconut oil, argan oil, castor oil and almond oil. Heat the mixture and apply it on your scalp and split ends.
Mash an avocado and massage it in your hair, covering up the split ends.
- Alternatively, mix some olive oil with avocado pulp; and smear it on your strands. Rinse after 30 minutes for thick, split ends free hair. You can even add some coconut oil for the better results.
8. Shea Butter
Apply some shea butter after washing them. It acts as a conditioning agent and helps get rid of dull and dry hair.
9. Clarified Butter
Massage your hair with melted clarified butter and keep it overnight. Rinse it off in the morning.
10. Jojoba Oil
Massage your hair with jojoba oil. You can even mix jojoba oil with your shampoo or conditioner for smooth, shiny, split end free hair.
11. Black Lentil and Fenugreek Seeds
Soak some black lentils and fenugreek seeds overnight. Grind them in the morning. Mix a cup of yogurt into this mixture and apply this pack on your hair. Rinse with a mild shampoo after 1 hour.
Apply some mayonnaise all over the strands and keep it for 20 minutes. Wash your hair afterwards with a mild shampoo for smooth, shiny and manageable hair.
Mix one ripe banana, egg white, 2 tbsp each of honey and milk; and make an even paste out of it. Apply this paste over your hair and let it stay for 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
14. Lemon Juice
Alternatively, blend one ripe banana, fresh lemon juice, 2 tbsp each of yogurt and rosewater. Apply this pack for 1 hour and then wash off with mild shampoo and water.
15. Vitamin E
Dissolve some vitamin E capsules in lukewarm water and massage it over your strands. It will help you get rid of split ends fast.
Wash your hair with beer for 2-3 minutes and then wash off with warm water. This remedy is a quick fix for split ends.
17. Cocoa Butter
Massage some cocoa butter on your damp hair. Allow it to dry naturally. Wash off after an hour. It acts as a very effective conditioner which helps cure the split ends.
18. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil easily penetrates in the roots of hair. Extra virgin coconut oil is rich in fats and helps moisturize, strengthen and repair the strands. Just apply this oil in your hair before shampooing.
Herbal Remedies for Split Ends
19. Aloe Vera
Massage some aloe vera gel directly onto your hair and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then, rinse it off with cold water.
- Alternatively, combine fresh aloe vera juice / pulp with lemon juice. Add some castor oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil to this mixture. (You can even use any one of these oils).
- An herbal shampoo containing aloe vera can also be used as a quick fix for split ends.
20. Chamomile Tea
Boil two chamomile tea bags in water and strain this mixture. Rinse your hair with this water. It will make your hair manageable and shiny.
- Cover your hair with a scarf while you go out.
- Utilize a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- Oil your hair frequently. If you don’t, then at least do it before shampooing.
- Trim your hair every two months (6-8 weeks). ¼ to 1 inch of hair must be trimmed at a time.
- Make use of hair brush with nylon bristles.
- Apply conditioner two-three times a week, after shampooing your hair.
- Include vitamin A, C, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids in your diet.
- Make a bun if you have long and thick hair.
- Use sunscreen conditioner.
- Never wash your strands with hot water.
- Avoid brushing wet hair.
- Do not use excessive hair styling products like curlers, rollers, dryers, gels, sprays, etc., as they tend to make hair dry and dull.
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated water as it may aggravate the problem of split ends. Wear a cap, and apply oil if going for swimming.
- Avoid backcombing your hair.
- Shun use of shampoo containing harmful chemicals.