Beautiful nails are an add-on to your charm. Many of us are really fond of styling nails by nail-art or other means. But, what if your nails are not strong enough to grow properly? Brittle nails are even worse. There can be many reasons for weak or brittle nails such as long-term use of nail polish, over-exposure to water, aging, hyper or hypothyroidism, psoriasis, lung conditions, eczema, anaemia, fungal infection, etc. Whatever the reason may be, brittle nails always cause discomfort as they get cracked and chipped easily. The good news is that you can treat weak and brittle nails right at home. Here is a list of natural remedies for strengthening brittle nails.
1. Vitamin E Oil
Nails often get weakened due to the lack of moisturizer. To keep nails hydrated and moisturized, vitamin E oil is really helpful. It nourishes and strengthens your nails. Extract the oil from vitamin E capsule. Apply it to your nails. Massage it gently to increase the blood circulation. Repeat it daily for two to three weeks to see the results.
- Or, you can take vitamin E capsules orally.
Note – For better results, use this remedy before going to sleep.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for nail strengthening. It contains saturated fat which moisturizes your nails and keeps nail infection at bay. You can apply lukewarm coconut oil directly to your nails and massage in a gentle manner for 5 minutes. It improves blood circulation in the nail bed. Do it twice or thrice a day.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of lemon juice to one-quarter cup of warm coconut oil. Soak your nails in it for 10 mins before going to bed. Wear gloves overnight. Do it regularly until you get stronger and healthier nails.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is another effective remedy among all the natural remedies for weak nails. It contains many nutrients such as iron, calcium, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, etc. It also has acetic acid and malic acid which help prevent nail infections. Mix raw and unfiltered ACV with water in equal amounts. Soak your nails in it for a few minutes. Gently push the cuticles back immediately after it. Do this once daily for a few days to get stronger nails.
4. Sea Salt
Sea salt is really helpful to treat brittle nails. It adds shine to your nails and makes them stronger. Take warm water in a small bowl. Add 2 tbsps of sea salt to it. Pour 2 drops each of frankincense, wheat germ oil, lemon, and myrrh essential oils into it. Put your nails in it for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off using warm water. Apply moisturizer after patting dry. Do it twice or thrice a week to notice the effects.
Beer is among the best remedies to grow strong nails. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add 1/4 cup of ACV and 1/2 cup of beer to it. Soak your nails in it for 10-15 minutes. Do it once or twice a week.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice helps strengthen your nails and brightens them as well. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to one tbsp of lemon juice. Heat this mixture until it is warm to touch. Use a cotton ball to apply it to your nails and wear your gloves overnight to cure the brittle nails.
- Alternatively, mix fresh lemon juice and argan oil in equal quantities. Place your nails in it and soak for 20 minutes. Practice both of these remedies daily for 2-3 weeks.
7. Olive Oil
Hot oils can improve your nail quality and texture. Add equal parts of jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil. Heat this mixture until it is warm to touch. Soak small cotton swabs in this mixture and place these balls on your nails. Leave them for ten minutes. It allows the oil to penetrate the nails and nourish them.
8. Egg Yolk
If your nails get weak due to dryness, this is the best home remedy for you. Mix egg yolk with milk to prepare a mixture. Massage it onto your nails for a few minutes. Rinse it off with fresh water. It would provide the needed moisture to your nails.
9. Vegetable Oil
This remedy is effective if your nails are over-exposed to water. Take any vegetable oil and apply it to your nails using a cotton ball. Massage it gently for five minutes. Do it 3-4 times, daily to get healthier nails.
10. Orange Juice
Orange juice contains folic acid which is essential for the growth of nails. Extract fresh orange juice. Soak your nails in it for 10 minutes. Rinse it off using warm water. Apply moisturizer after patting dry. Do it daily for stronger nails.
Tomatoes are rich in biotin which helps make the nails thicker and stronger. Take a bowl and mix two tbsps of olive oil with half a cup of tomato juice. Put your nails in it for 10 minutes. Do it daily to get the desired results.
12. Shea Butter
Shea butter is a wonderful moisturizer. Rub natural shea butter to your nail bed and cuticles for 20 minutes. It helps nourish them and keeps them strong. It also heals damaged nail beds and cuticles.
Note – It is better to use this remedy before doing any nail maintenance.
Flaxseeds contain micronutrients like vitamin B, magnesium, and potassium along with omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential for nail health. You can rub flaxseed oil directly on your nails. Massage it gently for a few minutes. Do it before going to bed and wear gloves overnight.
- Or, you can also include flaxseeds in your daily diet. Add 2 tbsps of flaxseeds to your smoothies or cereal.
14. Castor Oil
Castor oil not only strengthens your nails but also acts against fungal infections. Mix a few drops of peppermint oil with castor oil. Add Epsom salt to it. Soak your fingers in this mixture for 10 minutes. Wash your hands with normal water.
Herbal Remedies for Weak Nails
15. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can cure brittle nails caused by fungal infection. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to 1/2 tsp of vitamin E oil. Rub it to your nails and massage for a few minutes. Wait for about half an hour. Apply moisturizer after rinsing it off with lukewarm water and patting dry. Perform it twice a day regularly for a month.
Horsetail is rich in silica which is an essential mineral for strong nails. It also helps get rid of white spots on your nails. Take a cup of hot water and add 2 tsps of dried horsetail herb to it. Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes. Wait till it cools down. Soak your nails in it for 20 minutes. Rub olive oil on your nails after patting them dry. Wear gloves for overnight. Do it 3-4 times a week.
17. Chamomile and Peppermint
This herbal tea mixture nourishes your nails and gives them a fragrance. Add a tsp each of chamomile and peppermint tea to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 2 hours and strain after that. Now, add a tsp of olive oil and 2 tbsps of wheat flour to this mixture. Blend all the ingredients well and apply the paste on the nails. Wait for an hour. Rinse it off with normal water. Do it once or twice a week for the best results.
18. Green Tea
Green tea has antioxidants which make your nails strong and healthy. Take a cup of water. Add a few green tea leaves to it and brew for some time. Let it cool down. Soak your nails in this tea for 10-15 minutes. Do it twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix 2 tsps of green tea with a few drops of wheat germ oil and a pinch of salt. Soak your nails in it for 5 minutes. Wipe it off using a dry cloth. Repeat it two times a week.
- Another option is, add a few drops of green tea essential oil to coconut oil or aloe vera gel. Massage your nails with it for once or twice a week.
19. Nettle Tea
It prevents brittle nails due to the presence of silica. Take a cup of hot water and add 2-3 tsps of dried nettle leaves to it. Cover it and let it steep for 10 minutes. Add some honey to it after straining. Consume it orally. Do it daily for a few days.
20. Grape Seed Oil
It moisturizes your weak nails and heals the cracked ones. Rub grape seed oil to your nail beds and cuticles. It will cure your chapped nails. Do it twice a day for a few weeks to see the results.
- Intake foods rich in biotin such as whole grains, eggs, tomatoes, almonds, cauliflower, lentils, strawberries, soybeans, milk, etc. Or, you can also consume biotin supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Eat protein rich food like fish, poultry products, beef, pork, seeds, nuts, spinach, and other green vegetables. You can also drink protein shakes for this purpose.
- Massage your nails with petroleum jelly regularly. It will keep them moisturized.
- Do regular exercise to maintain a better blood circulation. It will help your nails remain healthy and grow faster.
- Keep your nails short to reduce the surface area so that it absorbs less water or chemicals.
- Opt for a good brand of nail polish.
- Keep your nails exposed to sunlight daily for a few minutes, so that they get vitamin D.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Push cuticles back to avoid infection instead of cutting them away.
- Use cuticle cream to keep them moisturized.
- File your nails regularly to avoid chipping and peeling.
- Wear gloves while working with water or chemicals.
- Avoid over-exposure to water or chemicals.
- Don’t use nail polishes that contain harsh chemicals like acetone and formaldehyde.
- Avoid using artificial nails as they can cause fungal infection.
- Don’t use hand sanitizers containing alcohol as they can leave your nails dry.
- Don’t bite your nails or pick the hangnails. Also, don’t scratch your nails as it can make them weak.
- Avoid using too much of nail polish remover.