Spider veins are tiny purple, red, and blue swollen vessels that appear similar to a web of twisted and thin jagged lines. They are easily noticeable through the skin and are often visible on the ankles, legs, thighs and face. It is believed that 30% – 60% of adults suffer from spider veins. There are a wide number of factors that predispose a person to spider veins. Some of them are- heredity, history of blood clots, obesity, use of birth control pills, occupations that involve a lot of standing, such as that of hair stylists, nurses, teachers, and factory workers; hormonal changes during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause; or conditions that cause increased pressure in the abdomen, including tumors, constipation, and externally worn garments, such as girdles. The common symptoms of spider veins include cramping, restlessness, tiredness, throbbing pain, burning sensation, heaviness or tingling in the legs. Symptoms may be worse in women, particularly during menstrual cycle or during pregnancy days. Patients even develop ulcers (deep sores), swelling, and dark or pigmented skin, mainly in the ankle region. How to get rid of spider veins? Well, it’s pretty simple. Use the following natural remedies.
Home Remedies to Cure Spider Veins
The presence of vitamin C in oranges makes them a superb treatment for the spider veins. Vitamin C improves the circulation of blood and strengthens the blood vessels. It works as an excellent antioxidant that aids in protecting the tissues from damage. So, eat plenty of oranges on a regular basis.
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil contains stimulating as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It increases the flow of blood to the blood starved tissues. In addition, it also stops the blood from clotting in the veins, thus, reduces the swelling. Take some castor oil and massage the affected areas twice a day.
Intake of guavas on a daily basis can help recover from spider veins. Guava has large quantities of vitamin C and vitamin K, which strengthen the blood vessels and accelerate the blood flow to the tissues. Eat a lot of guavas to make your capillaries and veins stronger, and to improve the blood circulation.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most common remedies for spider veins. Take a clean cloth and soak it in apple cider vinegar. Squeeze and apply it on the spider veins. Leave the cloth for about half an hour. Repeat the same process twice a day, until the veins get back to their normal state.
- Or else, mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it twice a day. If you have undiluted apple cider vinegar, mix it with lotion in equal ratios and rub it to your spider veins, gently stroking upwards towards the heart, two times a day.
5. Mustard Oil
This essential oil is useful in strengthening the veins and stimulating the blood circulation. Rub the affected area with mustard oil twice a day.
6. Fuller’s Earth Pack
It has been used for curing a number of skin related issues for ages. Take 1-3 or more tablespoons (depending on the affected area) of fuller’s earth and add water to prepare a smooth paste. Apply this paste and leave it overnight. Next morning, rinse it off.
Herbal Remedies to Cure Spider Veins
7. Cabbage Poultice
Cabbage is loaded with a number of nutritious components, such as vitamin A, B1, B2, C, E, K, magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, copper, and fiber. Take some cabbage leaves and wash them thoroughly. Chop them finely by adding water, to make a paste. Apply this on the spider veins and wrap up with a clean cloth. Allow it to stand for 2 hours and then wash it off. Repeat the process 2 to 3 times a day.
- Or else, rinse a large cabbage leaf thoroughly and remove the rigid midrib from it. Straighten the leaf and place it over the affected area. Leave it on, till it gets completely dried. Repeat the procedure, until you get relief.
8. Marigold (Calendula officinalis)
Marigold is enriched with flavonoids and triterpenes that are helpful in treating spider veins. Take a handful of marigold flower petals and wash them thoroughly. Crush these petals to prepare a fine paste. Apply this paste on your veins and leave it on for the night. Next morning, rinse it off. Repeat the process, until your spider veins totally disappear.
- Or else, finely chop 2 double handfuls of marigold leaves, flowers and stems. Take 500 gm lard and heat it in a pan. Add marigold to it, and mix well such that the entire herb is soaked properly in the heated lard. Take the pan away from the stove and cover it with a lid. Allow it to stand for next 24 hours. On the following day, warm the mixture and strain with cheesecloth. Empty the ready ointment in liquid state in a jar. As soon as it cools down, its consistency will become similar to an ointment. Apply this 2 to 3 times a day.
9. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is considered as the best essential oil to heal spider veins. Although expensive, it has proved out to be an effective remedy. Pour 2-4 drops of this oil directly on your affected skin, and massage with it.
- Mix a drop of helichrysum essential oil, 3-4 drops of basil oil, 1 drop each of cypress oil and wintergreen oil. Rub stroking softly towards the heart, and continue massaging until the oil is completely absorbed by the skin. Repeat the process daily.
10. Essential Oils Compress
Mix together 3 drops each of chamomile oil, carrot seed oil, and lavender oil, 1 teaspoon of St. John’s wort tincture and 1 cup of water. Take a soft cloth and soak it in this mixture. Wring out the surplus solution. Apply it on the spider veins, and leave it for 2-3 hours. Do it every day to get relief. You may also make use of various other essential oils like cypress oil, lemon oil, geranium oil, grapefruit oil, juniper berry oil, orange oil, and rosemary oil, to cure the problem.
11. Gotu Kola
This herb has been used by modern herbal medicine for reducing fatigue, pain, swelling, sensation of heaviness, and also fluid leakage from veins. Drinking gotu kola tea is a useful remedy for spider veins. To prepare the tea, add 1 teaspoon of gotu kola leaves to 1 cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain and add 1 teaspoon of honey (optional). Drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day.
Note – If you are suffering from any liver disease, consult your doctor before taking the herb.
12. Pine Bark
The presence of oligomeric proanthocyanidins makes it one of the best herbs for spider veins. It repairs tissues in your body and improves blood circulation. Take a fresh pine tree bark, if possible, from a maritime pine tree. Wash and let it stay wet. Take 8 cups of water in a pot and allow it to boil. Add pine bark and cover the pot. Boil it, until it reduces half of its initial quantity. Strain the hot liquid using cheesecloth. Store the liquid in a separate bowl and leave the bark in the pot. Add 4 cups of water to the used pine bark. Boil it down once again to half of its quantity. Strain with cheesecloth, and mix the strained liquid with the previously stored liquid. Boil the whole solution again. Simmer until it remains ¼ cup only. Let this liquid cool down. And then, store it in a bottle. Apply on the affected areas, 2-3 times a day.
Note – If you are using pine tree extract in the form of supplements, then have 45-360 mg daily or 50-100 mg thrice a day.
13. Grape Seed Oil
Mix 3 teaspoons, each of grape seed oil and jojoba oil, with 8 drops of lemon/ geranium/peppermint or any other essential oil of your choice. Take a small amount of this mixture in your palms and rub to warm it up. Now, smoothly massage your ankles, legs, or any other area affected by spider veins using upward strokes, i.e., from feet to the top of your legs.
- Alternatively, you can also take grape seed supplements that are easily available in the form of tablets, capsules, and liquid extracts. Take a dose of 150 mg a day or 50 mg thrice a day. It reduces the burning, pain, swelling and tingling associated with the spider veins.
- Or else, chew some grape seeds, or you can also make a powder of these seeds and add it in your soups. It may taste bitter, but works wonders.
Note – Do not give this herb to pregnant or breastfeeding women, children and those taking blood thinners.
14. Horse Chestnut
This herb works as a fine tonic for improving the blood circulation. The extracts obtained from the horse chestnut seeds are believed to be an effective cure for the spider veins. Since it contains a toxic substance called esculin, it must not be consumed in raw form, or in the form of tea. You may take extracts of horse chestnut, which are poison-free. Eat 300 mg of horse chestnut seed extract two times a day.
Note – This herb may cause some side-effects such as nausea, itching, or gastrointestinal upset. If you are suffering from any liver or kidney disease or have some bleeding disorders, or if you take anti-platelet, blood-thinning drugs or anticoagulants, or if you are pregnant or feeding mothers, then avoid this herb.
15. Butcher’s Broom
Extracts of this herb aids in getting rid of spider veins by strengthening and constricting the veins. Take 300 mg of butcher’s broom supplements, at least three times a day. Alternatively, you can also prepare tea using this herb and drink 1 to 2 cups of it daily to cure the disease. To prepare the tea, brew 1 teaspoon of chopped broom root in a cup of boiling water. Simmer it for some time. Now strain it and drink.
16. Ginkgo Biloba
The extracts of this herb increases the blood circulation and tissue oxygenation. Consume 40 milligrams of ginkgo biloba extracts thrice a day. Or else, you may also take it in the form of pills. An adult must consume 120 mg of this herb in a day.
Note – If you have problems related to high blood pressure, then avoid using this herb.
Bilberry extract helps strengthen the capillary walls and stimulate the formation of new capillaries. Consume 20 to 40 mg of bilberry thrice a day.
18. Witch Hazel
This herb can be directly applied over spider veins with the help of a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel extract. Alternatively, combine 1 teaspoon each of witch hazel and horsetail extract. Apply the mixture on the affected area. Massage some drops of emu oil above the applied mixture. Or else, you may also prepare tea from witch hazel for effective treatment of spider veins.
The extract of hawthorn contains bioflavonoids, vitamin C, sulfur, and zinc that are helpful for alleviating the spider veins. It is recommended to take 200 milligrams of this herb three times a day. This herb is also available in the form of tincture and pill. Or else, you can also drink one or two cups of tea prepared from this herb. You can prepare tea by adding 1 teaspoon of hawthorn flowers in ½ cup of boiling water.
20. Chamomile Tea
Both chamomile oil and tea are effective treatments for the spider veins. To make tea, put 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup and pour hot water in it. Let it stand for 3 minutes, so that all the ingredients mix well. Strain in another cup with the help of a tea strainer. You may add some honey or lemon, as per your taste.
This is an effective herb for treating spider veins, as it is loaded with antioxidants that assist in reducing the inflammation. Extracts of this herb purifies the blood, as well as increases the blood flow.
- Exercise regularly. Include strength training and cardiovascular exercises in your daily workout regime.
- Keep your legs in an elevated manner, even when you lie down or sleep.
- Overweight is a major cause of spider veins. So, shed those extra pounds.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, leafy vegetables and whole wheat products, like groundnuts and pulses.
- Avoid sitting crossed legs or with crossed ankles.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
- Do not sit or stand for a longer interval of time. In case your work demands this, then take short breaks in every 30 minutes. Walk a little, change your position, stretch, or stand for a while.
- If you are sitting for a longer period, then keep your legs in an elevated position by using a chair or a stool.
- Don’t wear tight clothes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may worsen the condition.
- Quit smoking.