Stretch marks steal the beauty from a flawless skin. A sudden contraction or expansion of the skin, stretches the connective tissues ahead of its normal ability. This stretching weakens the collagen that results in tearing of elastic fibers. Thus, leads to formation of stretch marks on the middle layer of skin. The main reason behind these stubborn marks is pregnancy. Besides, sudden weight loss or gain, stress, heredity factor, genetic disorders, muscle building, hormonal changes, puberty, adrenal gland diseases like cushing syndrome, ehler’s danlos syndrome, etc., leads to these ugly blemishes. Stretch marks look like wrinkles or lines, which vary from white to red in color. The affected area becomes soft. These lines are mainly visible on abdominal wall; however, it also occurs on thighs, breasts, buttocks and upper arms. Although many creams and ointments have emerged in market that promises to fade these marks fast but they may have certain side effects. Try out these incredible home remedies to get rid of stretch marks.
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
1. Egg White
Take an egg and separate the yolk from the egg white. Whip it a little. Apply it over the stretch marks 2-3 times a day using a make-up brush. Wash off after 15 minutes. The protein and vitamins contained in egg white fades the stretch marks enormously.
2. Raw Potato
Cut potato into thick slices and rub it over your stretch marks. Allow the juice to dry and then wash it off with lukewarm water. It is a natural bleaching agent that promotes restoration of skin cells; thus, aids in lightening of the stretch marks.
Mix sugar, almond oil and lemon juice in equal quantities. Apply it on stretch marks and scrub gently for 10 minutes. It is a natural exfoliant that works wonders for removing stretch marks.
4. Lemon Juice
The acidic nature and vitamin C content of lemon juice helps eradicate stretch marks. It is a natural bleaching agent, which works wonders in preventing new stretch marks from occurring. Apply some lemon juice over these stubborn marks regularly. Or else, rub a lemon wedge on the affected skin.
- Alternatively, take lemon juice and cucumber juice in equal amount and spread it on the skin to get rid of them.
Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day. It will keep your skin hydrated and helps reduce stretch marks to a great extent.
6. Cocoa Butter
Apply creams rich in cocoa butter at least twice a day. It is a great hydrating agent that helps get rid of the stretch marks.
- Alternatively, take ½ cup of cocoa powder, 1 tbsp of wheat germ oil, 2 tbsp of grated bees wax, 1 tbsp of apricot kernel oil and few drops of vitamin E oil. Heat this mixture until the beeswax melts and then apply it to the affected area after it cools, three times a day.
Grind some apricots along with some water. Apply this paste directly onto the affected area. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. This process must be followed for about one month to obtain the effective results.
8. Glycerine and Lemon
Pour two drops of glycerine on a lemon slice and rub it on the affected skin. It will moisturize your skin and reduce the stretch marks.
9. Vitamin E, K, C and Folic Acid
Have vegetables rich in vitamin K like cabbage, spring onions, picked cucumber, green leafy vegetables etc.
- Alternatively you can consume guava, papaya, black pepper, broccoli, gooseberry, orange, kale, spinach, olive oil, kiwi and wheat too.
Grind some oats and make a paste along with water or milk. Apply it to the affected area regularly for reducing the effect of stretch marks.
Apply Vaseline over stretch marks. You can start using Vaseline during pregnancy as well.
Grind some coffee beans and add warm water to make a fine paste. Later, add aloe vera gel and mix all the ingredients properly. Now, spread it on the affected skin and massage it for a couple of minutes. After 20 minutes, clean the skin warm wet cloth and rinse with water. Apply olive oil to moisturize your skin. Perform this remedy for a month.
Herbal Remedies for Stretch Marks
13. Aloe Vera
Take an aloe vera leaf and squeeze out its gel. Apply it over the stretch marks and leave it for 2 hours. Later, wash it off with warm water. This method will repair your skin naturally.
14. Alfalfa Powder
Mix some alfalfa powder with some essential oil (chamomile oil) and then apply this paste on the affected area at least 2-3 times a day. The amino acid and protein in alfalfa nourishes the overall skin.
15. White Sandal Wood
The cooling effects of sandalwood prevent skin marks and make it smooth. Take some powdered sandal wood and add water to make a paste. Apply it on the stretched skin.
- Alternatively, you can add milk cream, aloe vera, rose water, almond oil, mashed papaya and lavender oil in it.
- Moreover, you can use sandalwood essential oil to get rid of stretch marks.
16. Holy Basil
Take a handful of basil leaves. Add some water to make paste. Apply it on the affected skin to prevent stretch marks.
17. Lavender and Chamomile Oil
Mix 2 tbsp of almond oil, ½ tbsp of lavender oil and ½ tbsp of chamomile oil. Apply it on the stretch marks regularly.
- Moreover, you can replace almond oil with jojoba oil or avocado oil.
18. Olive Oil
Apply some extra virgin olive oil onto the affected skin. Leave it for half an hour and wash it off if required. This will hydrate the skin, and make it smooth by providing necessary vitamin E which will reduce the stretch marks to a great extent.
19. Pure Coconut Oil
Massage using pure coconut oil thrice a day to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
20. Castor Oil
Take some castor oil and massage on the affected area gently in circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes. Wrap it with a thin cotton cloth and apply some heat to it for at least 30 minutes. You can use heating pad or hot water bottle. This process must be done regularly for at least 1 month. You will surely notice positive results.
21. Tea Tree Oil
The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil provide relief from all the skin troubles. Simply pour few drops on your palm and massage gently.
22. Indian Lilac Oil
The non toxic oil of this plant proved to be helpful in treating several skin ailments.
23. Wheat Germ Oil and Calendula Oil
Take one tbsp each of calendula and wheat germ oil. Apply it on the stretch marks to get rid of them.
- Do exercises and yoga regularly.
- Keep your skin moisturized.
- Use retinoic acid cream to reduce stretch marks.
- Use glycolic acid (alpha – hydroxyl acid) as it increases collagen production and makes your skin more elastic. It is safe to use glycolic acid during pregnancy and while nursing.
- Use egg oil right from first trimester of your pregnancy.
- Liposuction, breasts uplifts and tummy tuck treatments are effective remedy for stretch marks. Commonly known as ‘mommy makeover’.
- Pulsed dye laser / vascular laser are effective for new stretch marks.
- Consume foods rich in protein, zinc, folic acid and vitamin C.
- Always consult doctor before taking medicines that contain Retinoic acid like renova, tazorac, differin etc.
- Use bio oil, it is an effective remedy for fading stretch marks.
- Shed extra pounds.
- Pregnant women must not use any kind of creams to remove stretch marks.
- Do not scratch stretch marks.
- Do not use any products that contain retinoic acid while pregnancy or while nursing. Besides, products that contain thuja occidentalis are also not recommended.
- If you are using Retin-A then avoid exposure to sun.
- Avoid consumption of tea, coffee and any other beverage that leads to dehydration.