Most people have some body odor. Sweaty underarms with a strong and bad odor is much worse. It will be very embarrassing for you to go on the date with your loved one or attend a party at your friend’s house with unbearable smelly underarm. Intake of caffeinated beverages, consumption of certain drugs, eating spicy food, wearing tight clothes, dehydration, stress and tension, alcohol consumption, poor diet, hormonal changes, puberty, hot weather, strenuous exercises, etc., are the reasons that lead to this awkward condition. Sometimes, even after using strong deodorants, foul smell does not go off easily. Deodorants are temporary solutions for this problem. Several home remedies are available to get rid of underarm odor. Have a look!
Home Remedies to Deal with Underarm Odor
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar is considered as a wonder remedy. It is one of the best replacements for deodorant. The anti-bacterial properties fight off against the bacterial growth. Pour some apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Dip a cotton ball in it and wipe your underarms. This will reduce the pH of the skin, thereby eradicate the armpit odor.
- Alternatively, make a spray by filling water and apple cider vinegar equally in a spray bottle. Or else, rinse your underarms with ACV while bathing.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an effective remedy to cure underarm odor. Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix well and apply it on the armpits. Let it rest for some time. Rinse off with clean water.
- Another option is to mix a little amount of cornstarch with baking soda and apply it under your arms to absorb excess sweat.
- Or else, prepare baking soda paste by adding a little water to it. Apply it under armpits after shower. To get pleasant fragrance, add a few drops of tea tree oil.
Alcohol is another useful remedy to remove armpits odor. To stop underarm perspiration odor, gently rub some alcohol. Application of alcohol on the skin helps close the pores. It evaporates easily and reduces the smell. You can also add some alcohol in a mug of water and use it to rinse your armpits.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
Underarm odor is very embarrassing and should be treated immediately to prevent further infection. To do away with dirty smell of armpits, hydrogen peroxide is an effective remedy. Prepare a solution by adding one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in a cup of water. Stir the solution well. Now, take a clean washcloth and dip it in this solution. Apply it under your arms for some time. This will help kill the bacteria, creating odor.
- Or else, you can directly rub hydrogen peroxide under your arms to prevent dirty odor.
The acidic properties of lemon help kill smell creating bacteria. Lemon is also known for changing the pH levels of the skin. Slice a lemon and rub it gently on your armpits.
- Or else, squeeze out some juice from 1-2 fresh lemons. Apply it directly under your arms to remove bad smell and darkness.
- Alternatively, pour some lemon juice on a clean towel and rub it gently on your armpits after taking bath.
- Add some lemon juice in a cup of water. Use it as a natural spray or deodorant under your arms.
6. Turnip Juice
Grate a turnip. Squeeze out the juice from the grated turnip. Apply this fresh juice under your arms. This will reduce the odor for maximum 10 hours.
7. Rose Water
Rose water is a very soothing remedy to remove underarm odor. Apply some rose water under your arms which will deodorize the affected area.
- You can also add a few drops of rosewater in your bathtub for a long-lasting freshness.
How to treat underarms odor with radish? Just extract juice of two dozens of radish. Add some glycerin to it. After mixing well, fill it in a spray bottle. Store it in the refrigerator. Shake it well before use. It will act as a natural deodorant.
9. Crystal Rock
Crystal rock is also suitable for removing underarm odor. Crystal rock, made from mineral salt, effectively blocks the sweat glands. It acts as a natural antiperspirant. Use it as a deodorant under your arms to reduce the amount of perspiration.
10. Tomato Pulp
Extract pulp from a tomato and apply it directly on your armpits. Leave it for 15 minutes. Clean it and experience the after effects. To get effective results, practice this remedy for a few weeks.
Alum can also be used as a natural deodorant. Pour some water on a piece of alum. Rub it gently on your armpits for some time. It will get dry by itself.
Note: Use only blunt side of the piece of alum to rub on the armpits.
12. Baby Powder
The mild fragrance of baby powder helps eliminate underarm odor. Apply some baby powder under your armpits to lessen the bad smell.
13. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood powder is known for its soothing aroma. It is helpful in removing foul underarm smell. Prepare a paste by adding sufficient amount of water in some sandalwood powder. Mix it well and apply it on your armpits. Leave it until it gets dried. Wash with clean water.
- You can also prepare a mixture by adding white vinegar with some sandalwood powder or oil. After taking bath, apply this mixture on your armpits. The mixture acts as a natural deodorant.
Herbal Remedies for Underarm Odor
14. Herbal Mixture
To prepare an herbal mixture, you need witch hazel leaves, oak bark, tormentil root, eucalyptus leaves, and walnut leaves. Mix all the ingredients and put 5 tablespoons of the mixture in 2 liter water. Let the mixture boil for five minutes. When the mixture cools down, add 1 liter water to it and take a bath with it to overcome smelly feet and underarms.
15. Walnut Leaves
Walnut leaves are also effective in reducing underarm odor. You are required to make a paste by crushing the leaves of ground walnut and eucalyptus. Apply this smooth paste under your arms.
Lettuce is one of the excellent herbal remedies for preventing underarms odor. Crush some lettuce leaves to extract the juice. Rub it directly on your armpits. For the best results, apply it after taking bath. You can store the lettuce juice in the refrigerator.
Being an anti-bacterial herb, rosemary is helpful in removing the underarm odor. Apply some rosemary oil directly on your armpits. Alternatively, put 8-10 drops of rosemary oil in a cup of water. Stir well and apply it under your arms to get the effective results.
The anti-odor properties of parsley help remove underarms odor. Chop some fresh parsley leaves. Add one teaspoon of chopped parsley to a cup of boiling water for five minutes. Strain it and let it cool down naturally. Drink this solution. You can also simply chew some fresh parsley or green leafy vegetable to neutralize the odor.
19. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is an essential oil used for various skin problems. It is very beneficial in removing underarms odor. You just have to rub a few drops of lavender oil under your arms.
- You can also prepare a spray with natural lavender oil. Pour some water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of lavender oil to it. Shake it and spray it on your armpits to remove odor.
Note – Some people are allergic to lavender oil. Therefore, test it under a small area of underarms before using it.
20. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel acts as a natural sterilizer. One of the simplest ways to get rid of odor is to wipe the underarms with witch hazel.
21. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is very effective against armpit smell. Its anti-bacterial properties ward off the harmful bacteria. All you need to do is add two drops of tea tree oil in one cup of water. Fill it in a spray bottle after mixing well. Use it as a regular deodorant to prevent odor. You can also apply tea tree oil directly in your armpits.
22. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint essential oil is known to fight against odor-creating bacteria. To eliminate underarms odor, take a few drops of peppermint oil in your palm and rub it gently under your arms.
- Alternatively, prepare a spray by adding a few drops of lavender essential oil in a cup of water. Fill the solution in a spray bottle. Use it as a natural deodorant.
Sage is a beneficial herbal remedy for treating underarms odor. Sage works actively on the overactive sweat gland present in the armpits, thus prevents excessive sweating. It helps remove the underarm odor temporarily. Prepare sage tea. Soak a cotton ball in it and rub it under your arms. After some time, when the area gets dried, repeat the process. Finally, rinse the area with clean water. You can also use diluted sage oil or sage tincture for preventing underarm odor.
24. Wheatgrass Juice
The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass helps fight against foul smell. You just need to soak some wheatgrass in water and drink the solution every morning.
- You can also take wheatgrass juice. At the beginning, add two tablespoons of wheatgrass juice in ¾ cup of water. Stir it well and drink it. With the passage of time, increase the quantity of juice.
Note: It possesses very strong taste due to which the person may feel nauseated while taking it for the first time.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Maintain a healthy balanced diet, including green leafy vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Consume chlorophyll-rich food.
- Bathe regularly with an anti-bacterial soap.
- Use strong deodorants to reduce bad smell.
- Wear sweat absorbing clothes made up of natural fibers.
- Change and wash your clothes regularly.
- Practice some relaxation exercises.
- Shave your armpits regularly.
- Store your clothes in airy wardrobes.
- Apply extra virgin coconut oil on your armpits.
- Apply hand sanitizer under your arms.
- Try to stay in air-conditioned environment.
- Avoid certain foods, like garlic, hot pepper, fish, onion, red meat, etc.
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
- Refrain from stress.
- Avoid smoking.