Typhoid is a bacterial disease, which is caused as a result of salmonella typhi bacteria. It is contracted through contaminated water, food or by coming in contact with the infected person. It affects liver, lymph nodes, spleen, gallbladder, and other parts of the body. The main symptoms of typhoid are – fever, diarrhea, skin rashes, weakness, bleeding nose, chills, headache, loss of appetite, sore throat, delirium, blood in stool, lethargy, constipation, and abdominal pain. Typhoid fever can be life-threatening if not cured timely. The course of antibiotics is very important to be completed by the patient. In addition to medication, some natural remedies for typhoid can also be helpful. They are listed below. Have a look.
Home Remedies for the Treatment of Typhoid
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV helps reduce the high body temperature. It is very energizing and replenishes the minerals that are lost due to diarrhea. Add a little honey to ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Drink it before having your meal.
- In addition, mix one part of apple cider vinegar with two parts of cold water. Soak a cloth in it and put it on your forehead and stomach. Soak the cloth again, when it gets warm.
2. Homemade ORS
Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) is helpful in replenishing the fluids in your body. It reduces the intensity of typhoid symptoms. You can get ORS solution from any medical store, or it can be made at home. Add 6 spoons of sugar and ½ spoon of salt in 4 cups of water. Drink it several times until you recovery completely.
- Or else, mix one teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and heat it. Drink it once a day, for three days.
Note: Don’t drink too much of water.
Banana can treat diarrhea effectively. It also has pectin that helps absorb liquid in the intestine. They are also rich in potassium, which balances the loss of electrolytes during fever and diarrhea. You can either eat ripe bananas or add them to yogurt.
- Or else, you can also mix the pulp of one banana with a cup of buttermilk, to bring down the fever.
Buttermilk is easy to digest and prevents dehydration. Drink a few glasses of buttermilk for faster recovery. You may also add fresh coriander juice to buttermilk, to increase its effectiveness.
The essential oils in cloves are loaded with antibacterial properties. Thus, helps ward off the bacteria that cause typhoid. Cloves also reduce the symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting. Boil 5-6 clove buds in 8 cups of water until it is reduced to half. Cover it and allow it to cool. Strain and drink it several times a day, for at least one week.
Garlic improves the immune system. Its antimicrobial properties fight off the typhoid-causing bacteria. Eat 2 garlic cloves daily for a week, to get relief.
- Or else, add ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic to a cup of milk and 4 cups of water. Boil it until it reduces to one-fourth of the original amount. Drink it three times a day.
Note: It is not recommended for pregnant women and kids.
The anti-parasitic properties of cranberries help avoid diarrhea and treat typhoid fever. Besides, it also boosts the immune system.
Note: Avoid in case you are pregnant or allergic to cranberries.
Being a natural disinfectant, lemon helps alkalize your gastrointestinal tract. Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water (hot/cold) and add honey to it. Drink it for a week, even after recovery.
Being the healthiest fruit, pomegranate has incredible benefits. Drink a glass of fresh pomegranate juice to energize your body. In addition, it also prevents dehydration. You may also add honey and black pepper to it.
It is rich in antioxidants and improves the immune system, thereby curing diarrhea and typhoid fever.
Just add a tablespoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it many times a day, to energize your body. It also regulates the digestion process.
Oranges have a cooling effect. They give relief from restlessness caused by typhoid. It can be eaten several times a day. Keep eating them for a week, even after recovery.
- Alternatively, add lime juice in a glass of orange juice. Drink it thrice daily to boost your immune system.
13. Apple Juice
Apple is packed with powerful antioxidants, dietary fiber, and flavanoids that help prevent various diseases, including typhoid. Hence, one should drink apple juice regularly.
14. Sweet Lime
Sweet lime juice is also effective in typhoid. It improves the immune system and reduces the symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
15. Raisins and Dry Plum
Take 2-3 pieces of dry plum and 8-10 raisins. Soak them in 2 glasses of water for the whole night. Blend them in the morning and drink on an empty stomach. It gives relief from the high fever.
One tablespoon of ginger juice mixed with the apple juice is very effective in the treatment of typhoid.
17. Cold Compress
The cold compress is one of the most effective treatments for typhoid fever. Soak a clean washcloth in cool water and squeeze the excess water. Place it on the temple for a couple of minutes. Repeat the same procedure frequently.
- In addition, place the damp cloth on your hands, legs, groin, and armpits, to control the high fever.
Blueberry contains potassium and vitamin A & C. It helps kill the typhoid-causing bacteria. Therefore, have a handful of blueberries daily.
19. Rice Gruel
It is packed with ample nutrients and can be digested easily; hence, considered the best for alleviating the typhoid fever.
Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of Typhoid
20. Basil Leaves and Black Pepper
Grind 4 basil leaves, 7 strands of saffron and 7 black peppers, to make a paste. Prepare small tablets of this paste, and take them 2-3 times a day.
- Or else, boil a cup of water; add 20 basil leaves and a tsp of crushed ginger to it. Simmer it until the quantity of water reduces to half. You may add honey. Drink this decoction, twice a day.
- Extract a tbsp of juice from the fresh basil leaves. Add a dash of powdered black pepper to it. Have it thrice a day, to get rid of thyroid.
21. Psyllium Seeds
Psyllium seeds greatly improve the bowel movement. You may add some psyllium seeds in a glass of milk. Drink it once a day to avoid the problem of constipation.
22. Mint Leaves
It is very effective in healing the typhoid fever. Blend 4-5 mint leaves in a ½ cup of coconut water. Take 2-3 tablespoons of it, 2-3 times a day.
Boil lemongrass in ½ cup of water for 3-4 minutes. Allow it to cool down. Then add one cup pineapple juice to it. Drink it daily.
Echinacea enhances your immunity and strengthens the tissues of the body. Boil a teaspoon of Echinacea roots (you can also use the powder prepared by crushing the dried flowers of this herb) in a glass of water, for 8-10 minutes. Filter the solution, and drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Use cold compressors in the case of high fever.
- Increase the fluid intake to stay hydrated.
- Drink vegetable soup.
- Eat high-nutrition foods which are rich in protein, carbohydrate, iron, potassium, fiber, and sodium.
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Take bed rest as typhoid weakens your body.
- Drink boiled water.
- Avoid milk and dairy products.
- Do not consume white sugar and bakery products.
- Don’t eat fried and spicy food.
- Avoid ice creams, caffeinated drinks, tea, carbonated drinks, and alcohol.