In case you are suffering from symptoms like frequent and painful urination, nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating, fever and chills, white blood cells or pus in urine, burning sensation during urination, etc., then you might be suffering from kidney stones. The pH level of body drops if one drinks less water. Acid accumulates and that is conducive for the development of kidney stones. These are more common in males than in females. Certain chemicals in urine like oxalic acid, calcium, phosphorus, and uric acid are also responsible for the formation of kidney stones. Here are some home remedies to get rid of kidney stones, which are effective and have no side effects.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Kidney Stones
1. Lemon Juice
Add 2-3 tbsp of lemon juice to 2-3 tbsp of olive oil. Drink it followed by 1 glass of water. It must be repeated 2-3 times a day. Olive oil will lubricate and soothe the urethral passage while lemon juice will break down the crystals and help release the kidney stones.
Note – You are not required to continue this if stones get passed in the first attempt.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix apple cider vinegar and honey in 2:1 ratio. Take this mixture with a cup of warm water. It must be taken twice a day.
Eat one full pomegranate or have fresh juice of one pomegranate daily. Alternatively, you can mix pomegranate in your fruit salad.
Watermelon contains potassium which is essential for the well-being of kidneys. Eat watermelon regularly as it flushes out the kidney stones from the body due to its water content.
5. Citric Soda / Lemonade
Drink lemonade or citric flavored soda as it prevents calcium formation. Hence, reduces the risk of kidney stones.
6. Kidney Beans
Boil some kidney beans for around six hours and strain the water. Let it cool and drink throughout the day. It is a proven and very effective remedy for kidney stones.
7. Baking Soda
For people allergic to citric acid, try baking soda. Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda in ½ small glass of water and drink it. It will dissolve kidney stones formed due to uric acid and helps relieve pain.
Mix barley water with some cranberry juice and have it every day. It eases the problem of kidney stones.
Mix some pineapple juice with potato juice and have it regularly for a few days. This will eliminate kidney stones.
10. Bran Flakes
Eat one bowl of bran flakes daily. This provides you with enough fiber which aids in the removal of kidney stones.
11. Whole Wheat Bread
Include whole wheat bread in your breakfast. This is as useful as bran flakes and will provide you enough fiber and magnesium.
Pain due to kidney stones can greatly be reduced by chewing blueberry and blackberry. Make it a regular practice to include them in your fruit salad if you are troubled by pain due to kidney stones.
13. Citrus Fruits
Take fruits rich in citric acid like oranges, bananas, grapes, tomatoes, etc. They help break down the insoluble calcium and ease pain resulted due to kidney stones.
Herbal Remedies for Kidney Stones
Celery seeds must be regularly used as a spice or in the form of tea. For preparing tea, steep some celery seeds in a cup of boiling water. Strain it and drink.
- Alternatively, drink celery juice to prevent formation of kidney stones.
Drink 1 cup of wheatgrass juice 2-3 times a day for better digestion and treatment of kidney stones.
16. Kava Kava
This herb acts as natural calcium channel blocker which is the major cause of alleviated spasms. It aids in relaxing urethra. This is available in the form of tablets or can be taken in the form of tea.
Take approximately 2 grams of horsetail herb in the capsule form or drink 3-4 cups of horsetail tea daily. This must be done regularly for a few days to reduce the pain due to kidney stone.
18. Uva Ursi
Take 500 mg of uva ursi herb twice daily for relief from kidney stones.
Note – Consumption of more than 15 gm of this herb at a time may be toxic.
Drink dandelion tea for curing kidney stones. Or else, add dandelion greens to your salad.
20. Nettle Leaf
Steep 2 tbsp of dried nettle leaves in a cup of boiling water for about 10 minutes and then strain it. This tea must be taken 2-3 times daily for a few weeks. It acts as a natural diuretic and helps remove kidney stones.
Crush a few basil leaves. Extract the juice and mix it with some honey. Take it every morning for a few months.
- Alternatively, you can steep some basil leaves in water for 10-15 minutes. Allow it to cool and then strain it. Add a tbsp of honey to it and drink it. It enhances stone expulsion from the kidney.
Being diuretic, juniper helps remove toxic substances from the body. Juniper tea minimizes the risk of kidney stone development by reducing the amount of uric acid in the urinary tract.
23. Green Tea
Green tea breaks up the crystals of calcium oxalate very easily. Therefore, drink green tea on daily basis.
24. Marshmallow Root
This herb soothes the cell membranes of the urinary tract. Thus, makes it easy to release the kidney stones.
- Drink plenty of water and other non-caffeinated and non-alcoholic drinks/fluids like milk and fruit juices.
- Take foods rich in magnesium like broccoli, black beans, pumpkin seeds, spinach, okra, squash seeds, nuts, cereal, rice, oatmeal, yogurt, soybean, etc. Foods rich in vitamin A, B (specifically vitamin B6) such as carrots, chicken and milk aid in smooth functioning of the kidneys and prevent the future occurrence of infection.
- Exercise regularly to strengthen bones so that they become stronger and absorb calcium, thereby prevent kidney stone formation.
- Be extra vigilant if you have had kidney stones in the past.
- Avoid drinking sugar, soda and corn syrup.
- Never avoid urination as it will enhance the problem of kidney stones.
- Don’t take stress. This may worsen the situation of existing kidney stones and may lead to the formation of new stones.
- Limit consumption of salt in your diet. Salt intake must be reduced to 2 grams per day.
- Don’t eat stone-forming food such as spinach, beets, most nuts, rhubarb, etc.