Are you suffering from fatigue or dizziness? Are you facing difficulty in concentrating and breathing? If you answered positively to these questions, then you might be suffering from low blood pressure. Hypotension or low blood pressure is a common health concern which lots of individuals suffer. Due to low blood pressure, your blood fails to supply sufficient oxygen and vital nutrients to the brain, kidneys, heart, and other organs. Generally, hypotension results due to stress, anxiety, dehydration, heart issues, serious infections, prolonged bed rest, substantial reduction in your blood volume, pregnancy, allergies, neurological and endocrine disorders, and nutritional deficiencies. Fatigue, dizziness, difficult breathing, nausea, blurred vision, thirst, pale skin, cold, palpitations, light-headedness, and depression are some of the common symptoms that you may experience when your blood pressure is low. However, by following certain home remedies to cure blood pressure, you can enjoy a healthy life.
Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
1. Salt Water
Increasing the salt intake is highly effective in treating low blood pressure. All you need to do is add more salt to your regular diet than usual.
- Alternatively, dissolve some salt in the water, and drink it to balance your blood pressure.
- Drink salted water only until you get relief from hypotension. Make sure you stop drinking salt water once your blood pressure is back to normal.
- During pregnancy, avoid adding a lot of salt to your diet.
Anti-clotting, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger promote blood circulation in the body. Also, antioxidants and chemicals, such as gingerol, shogaol, and zingerone in the ginger regulate the fluctuations in your blood pressure, substantially. All you need to do is put some grated ginger in a vessel, pour boiling water over it, cover the vessel and allow the mixture to steep for about fifteen minutes. Strain the ginger tea, and drink it twice every day.
Drinking a lot of water is one of the simplest and effective home remedies for low blood pressure during pregnancy. All you need to do is drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids, such as fresh fruit juices, vegetable soups, and nutritious teas, and eat foods containing high water content.
4. Caffeinated Drinks
Caffeine is highly effective in raising your blood pressure and treating hypotension. Just have two to three cups of coffee daily to get rid of symptoms of low blood pressure.
- Alternatively, you can also drink other caffeinated drinks, such as chocolate milk, hot cocoa, tea, soda, and energy drinks, to cure hypotension.
Note: Excess intake of caffeine can cause hazardous health issues. So, make sure you don’t consume more than 400 mg of caffeine. Also, ensure you don’t exceed drinking four cups of coffee and two shots of energy drinks.
Mixing the paste of almonds in warm milk and drinking it can help stabilize your blood pressure levels. Soak a few almonds in water overnight. Make the paste of the soaked almonds using a blender, in the next morning. Add the almond paste to a glass of milk, boil the milk for a few minutes, and drink it.
Regular intake of raisins is one of the most effective natural remedies for low BP. Soak some raisins overnight and eat them the next morning on an empty stomach. Drink the raisins soaked water after you eat them. Follow this for about a month to get relief.
7. Carrot Juice
Extract a glass of fresh carrot juice. Add two tablespoons of honey to it and stir. Drink it twice everyday on an empty stomach to treat low blood pressure. This healthy juice improves the circulation of your blood.
8. Lemon Juice
Fresh lemon juice is an effectual remedy for hypotension, particularly when it results due to dehydration. It also promotes the smooth functioning of the liver, aids in digestion, cures dehydration. Squeeze about three tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a glass full of water, add some salt and sugar to it, stir it and drink it once every day.
- Alternatively, extract fresh sugarcane juice, squeeze one teaspoon of lemon in it. Add a little salt to it and stir. Drink it regularly to cure hypotension.
Eat fresh pomegranate to lower down the raised BP. You can either eat the seeds of the fruit as it is or add it to your salad.
- Alternatively, you can extract fresh pomegranate juice and drink it regularly.
Honey instantly helps treat the dizziness resulting due to hypotension. Add two tablespoons of honey and a little salt to a glass of water, stir it well, and drink it.
Consumption of beetroot increases the blood pressure significantly. Extract a cup of fresh beetroot juice and drink it twice daily, for about a week.
12. Uncooked Cottage Cheese
Add uncooked cottage cheese to your regular diet to treat hypotension.
Increase the intake of garlic to combat the low-pressure problems. Eat two raw garlic cloves an hour before retiring to the bed at night.
- Alternatively, add garlic to your regular diet.
14. Eat a Healthy Diet
Make sure you eat a balanced, nutritious diet since deficiency of nutrients can make you prone to hypotension problems. Add whole grains, vegetables, fresh fruits, chicken, fish, and other nutritious foods to your regular diet.
15. Mild Exercises
Performing some mild workouts is one of the effective low blood pressure treatments. Practice mild exercises, such as yoga, cycling, walking, and swimming, daily to improve your blood pressure.
Note: Avoid performing strenuous, high-intensity exercises.
Herbal Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
Licorice is a highly effective herbal remedy for low blood pressure problems. Glycyrrhizin, a sweet-tasting natural compound in licorice retains sodium and aids in increasing your blood pressure. Put some licorice in a vessel containing boiling water. Let it steep for some minutes. Strain the tea, and drink it.
Note: Licorice retains sodium and reduces potassium, so individuals suffering from heart problems and diabetes should consult the doctor before using the herb.
Rosemary herb improves the blood circulation considerably and cures low blood pressure issues. Massage your body with rosemary oil for some minutes daily to get relief.
- Alternatively, you can have about 10ml of rosemary tincture daily to increase your BP.
- Also, you can use some rosemary essential oil in your diffuser.
Basil is rich in magnesium, vitamin C, and pantothenic acid, so it helps you regulate your blood pressure levels. Take some fresh, washed basil leaves, crush them and extract juice. Pour it in water, stir it, and drink.
- Alternatively, place some basil leaves in a juicer, add some water and honey to it, mix it, and drink the fresh juice on an empty stomach in the morning every day.
- Also, you can chew some fresh, washed basil leaves on an empty stomach in the morning.
Hawthorn comprises quercetin and oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) that help cure hypotension problems effectively. Put some hawthorn berries in a vessel containing boiling water. Let it steep for fifteen minutes. Strain it and drink.
- Alternatively, you can also make tea using hawthorn flowers and leaves and drink it regularly to obtain relief.
20. Indian Spikenard
Indian spikenard is a great herb to stabilize your blood pressure. Take Indian spikenard powder, cinnamon powder and just a pinch of camphor in a small vessel. Prepare a fine paste and eat it to raise the low BP.
- Alternatively, place some leaves of Indian spikenard in a vessel containing boiling water. Let it steep, strain it, and drink regularly to obtain relief.
21. Rose Geranium
Antiseptic, antidepressant, and astringent properties of this herb regulate your blood pressure considerably. Sniff rose geranium plant twice every day. Just inhaling its fragrance helps you a lot.
- Alternatively, pour some drops of rose geranium oil in your bath water. Stir it. Have a bath with this water every day.
Aniseed is one of the best herbal remedies to cure hypotension symptoms. This herb is rich in zinc, calcium, manganese, potassium, copper, iron, and magnesium. Also, aniseed is a good source of vitamins that are essential to maintain blood pressure levels. Simply add some aniseed to your regular meals.
- Alternatively, add a few aniseeds while preparing cookies and bread.
- Or else, put one teaspoon of aniseed in boiling water, prepare aniseed tea, and drink it once every day.
- You can also simply chew a few aniseeds after your meals.
Another significant herb to treat low blood pressure is motherwort. It comprises of flavonoids, caffeic acid, alkaloids, and other natural compounds. Simply add one tablespoon of motherwort herb to a vessel containing boiling water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes. Strain the tea and drink it every day to minimize the low BP issues.
Ginseng is popular among the Chinese to treat hypotension problems. Just add three tbsp of sliced ginseng roots to a pot containing boiling water. Allow the herb to steep, strain it, and drink the herbal tea regularly.
25. Scotch Broom
Scotch broom is a wonder herb that contains tyramine chemical, which plays a vital role in increasing your blood pressure. Simply add one tsp of dried scotch broom to one cup of boiling water to prepare tea. Drink this herbal tea.
- Have plenty of rest.
- Lie or sit down when you feel nausea.
- Wear compression stockings to improve the blood circulation and prevent blood pooling in your legs.
- Stand up or sit up from a lying position slowly, as sudden actions may make you feel dizzy.
- Sleep on your bed with your head in an elevated position.
- If you are obese, make an effort to lose excess of weight.
- Don’t drink alcohol and other drinks containing alcohol to prevent the risk of dehydration and hypotension.
- Don’t stand or sit for long spans as it may hamper the circulation of blood in your feet and increase your fatigue level.
- Neither lift heavy weights, nor perform vigorous exercises as it may strain your body.
- Do not eat an excess of carbohydrate-rich foods, such as potatoes, rice, bread, and pasta.
Did you try any easy, effective home remedies to treat low blood pressure problems? Which home remedies worked the best for you? Share your invaluable experience and knowledge with others by leaving a comment below.