Tuberculosis or TB is a perilous infection that is caused by bacteria known as “Mycobacterium Tuberculosis”. It can infect any organ of your body, but mainly affects the lungs. The TB bacteria spread from one person to other, by the means of tiny droplets which are released into the air through sneezing and coughing. Being an “opportunistic infection” it flourishes when the immune system is weak. The benefit of using natural and herbal treatments for tuberculosis is that they help build a strong immune system. Being a contagious disease, it is also important to stop it from spreading further. Read on to know how to get rid of TB at home.
The symptoms of active TB are fever, weight loss, night sweats, and chronic cough with blood-tinged sputum. A few more warning signs of tuberculosis are:
- Loss of energy
- Wet cough
- Loss of appetite
- Chest pain
- Pain in the kidneys, chest or back
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme tiredness
Home Treatments to Cure TB
The allicin and ajoene antioxidants present in garlic can halt the bacterial growth of TB. It is a good source of sulfuric acid and its antibacterial properties help boost up the immune system. Garlic can be eaten raw, but this may cause bad breath, acid reflux, and human body odor. Therefore, it should be consumed with some other ingredients for increased benefits.
- Take a glass of hot milk and add 10 drops of garlic juice in it. Drink it before you sleep. Do not consume water after this.
- Peel 10 cloves of garlic and boil them in one cup of milk. Consume this daily for a few months.
- Blend ½ tsp of chopped garlic in 1 cup of milk and 4 cups of water. Boil it down to ¼ of the total volume. Drink the concoction 3 times daily.
- Mix 2 tsp of crushed walnut powder in 1 tsp of garlic paste. Then add 1 tsp of clarified butter (ghee). Combine these 3 ingredients properly and chomp this once in a day. Walnuts also aid in enhancing the immune system.
- Capsules that contain garlic extract can be used for treating TB.
1) This herb may cause bleeding, and thin your blood. So, consult a physician before taking it.
2) If you have to undergo any surgery in the upcoming days, avoid it.
Bananas help improve the immune system of TB patients as they are rich in nutrients and affluent in calcium. You can eat a raw banana.
- A glass of banana juice can also be consumed daily.
- Alternatively, you can mash a banana, and then add 1 cup coconut water, ½ cup yogurt and 1 tsp of honey to it. Blend them well and take it 2 times a day.
3. Custard Apple
The rejuvenating properties of custard apple invigorate the human body. It is a very effective treatment for tuberculosis. Usually, the pulp of custard apple is eaten. Boil 25 seedless raisins and the pulp of 2 custard apples in 1½ cups of water until one- third of the water is left. Strain this solution and add 2 tsp of powdered sugar and ¼ tsp each of cinnamon and cardamom. Let it cool down. Drink it twice a day.
Oranges have several essential minerals and compounds that help recoup energy and protect the lungs from infection. It eases the expectoration. Take one glass of fresh orange juice. Add a bit of salt and one tbsp of honey. Mix it well. Drink this 2 times a day.
5. Black Pepper
Black pepper reduces the inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory properties and also helps cleanse the lungs which, in turn, ease the chest pain associated with tuberculosis. This remedy is very simple. Just fry 8-10 black peppercorns in clarified butter. Then add asafetida powder in it. Allow the mixture to cool down. Divide the mixture into 3 equal amounts, and have 1 dosage thrice a day.
6. Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice helps dissolve the mucus and checks its formation which enables the affected person recover faster. It is considered one of the best remedies for tuberculosis. Take a glass of pineapple juice. Add some grounded pepper, a pinch of salt and honey to it. Consume it once a day for several months.
7. Nutmeg and Jaggery
Grind a nutmeg into powder form and add jaggery to it. Combine this mixture properly to form a paste. Now, make small pellets of it, each weighing 3 milligrams approximately. Consume this pellet with lukewarm water, after every half an hour. This is a very effectual remedy.
8. Bottle Gourd
Bottle gourd is affluent in water and fiber. Besides, it contains a variety of nutrients and minerals that fortify immune system. Daily consumption of bottle gourd helps the body fight tuberculosis. Boil a bottle gourd in water for a few minutes. Strain the water and wait until it cools down. Consume it on a daily basis.
Note – According to research, bottle gourd juice should not be consumed with other juices as it may yield adverse effects. Hence, it should be consumed separately.
Consume raw onion or its extract for curing tuberculosis. One can also add a bit of asafoetida to the onion juice. Take this mixture after every half an hour.
Take a glass of lukewarm water and squeeze 1 or 2 lemons into it. Drink it daily. This will strengthen your lymph gland and helps cleanse your bladder.
Grind a mango in a juicer. Add natural honey in one glass of mango juice. Consume it twice a day regularly for 2 months.
Take one part of powdered cinnamon, 2 parts of green cardamom, 4 parts of ficus religiosa, 8 parts of vanshlochan and 15 gram of sugar-candy. Make a powder of all these ingredients and lick this powder with clarified butter. Alternatively, honey can also be used instead of clarified ghee. Eat this regularly for 2-3 months.
Milk strengthens the immune system as it is a great source of calcium. In case of bone tuberculosis, body requires good amount of calcium. Gradually, increase the quantity of milk you consume every day, as one needs to drink at least 4 to 5 liters of milk every day.
- Alternatively, eat 5 date palms with a glass of milk. Take it 4 times a day.
- Boil a glass of milk and add 5 pieces of long pepper and sugar to it. Boil it again for a few seconds. Strain the milk and drink it twice a day.
14. Clove Oil
Take some clove oil and add a few pieces of crystallized sugar to it. Wait for some time until it settles down. Consume this mixture several times a day.
Ginger contains an important component called gingerol which can hold back the growth of mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria, as per research. This spice has a very strong flavor. Brew a cup of tea by adding grated ginger.
Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of TB
16. Holy Basil
Take 15 holy basil leaves, and ½ teaspoon each of black cumin and salt. Combine all the three ingredients. Now add a bit of lemon extract to it. Prepare small pellets out of this mixture. Consume it 2 times a day. Follow this remedy for 45-60 days.
17. Herbal Tea
Prepare an herbal tea from licorice root. You can also add other herbs like sage and chamomile in equal amount. It soothes throat pain and provides relief from chronic coughing to the patients suffering from tuberculosis.
Barberries include berberine which contains bactericidal properties that kill the bacteria responsible for tuberculosis. Therefore, it effectually heals tuberculosis. Consume 10-15 barberry berries every day. These berries are found to be extremely effective in treating the symptoms of tuberculosis when administered along with the conventional treatment.
Drumstick leaves and pods are a good source of calcium, carotene, phosphorus and vitamin C. It also contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that eliminate those bacteria which cause tuberculosis and help reduce the inflammation caused by infection and constant coughing.
Boil some drumstick leaves in one cup of water for 5 minutes. After it cools down, strain the solution and add a dash of salt, pepper and a few drops of lime juice to give a flavor. Drink it daily, early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Alternatively, boiled drumsticks can be consumed on a daily basis, in order to get relief from the infection.
Mint can heal tuberculosis due to its antibacterial properties. It not only dissolves the mucus, but also gives nutrition to the lungs, energizes the human body, and turns aside the adverse effects of drugs taken for tuberculosis as well. Combine 1 tsp of mint juice, 2 tsp of honey, 2 tsp of pure malt vinegar, and ½ cup of carrot juice. Divide the concoction in 3 equal proportions, and drink it thrice a day.
Tuberculosis reduces the silica in the bones- a vital component that provides resistance to combat many diseases. Hence, consume a spoonful of horsetail juice regularly to replenish silica levels in the bones.
- You can also take horsetail tea. Add 2 to 3 gm of this herb in boiling water. Let it boil for 5 minutes, and filter it after 10 to 15 minutes. You can drink it multiple times a day, but not on an empty stomach.
- Mix 10 grams of crushed horsetail in 1 liter of water. Drink it.
1) Consult a doctor before taking it, as too much horsetail can decrease the potassium levels.
2) Not recommended for pregnant women.
3) People who are suffering from heart or kidney problems should not try this.
Consume 250 mg to 500 mg of the standardized astragalus extract 3 or 4 times daily. It boosts the immune system and also provides relief from cold and flu.
23. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that improve the resistance. Nutrients present in Indian gooseberry energize the human body and make it function properly. Take 3 Indian gooseberries and deseed them. Extract the juice and add 1 tbsp of honey to it. Mix it well. Take this mixture every morning on an empty stomach.
- Indian gooseberry can also be taken raw or in powdered form.
24. Green Tea
Green tea is packed with polyphenols (such as flavonoids and catechins) that act as powerful antioxidants and fight against the bacteria responsible for TB. It is produced from the leaves of camellia sinensis plant which contain several bioactive compounds that also strengthen the immune system.
- Boil a cup of water and add green tea leaves to it. Turn off the gas and put a lid on it. After a minute, strain the solution. Consume this drink 2-3 times a day.
- Alternatively, if green tea leaves are not available, you can also take its capsule.
25. American Ginseng
Ginseng, being rich in nutrients and minerals, helps increase the resistance of the body against several diseases and infections. Give this herb thrice a day to the children suffering from tuberculosis. But, consult a pediatrician before administering this remedy.
- Eat a lot of vitamin B, iron and calcium rich foods.
- Use healthy cooking oils like olive oil.
- Consume plenty of antioxidant rich foods such as basil, origanum, rosemary and turmeric. Intake fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Practice exercise.
- De-stress yourself.
- Have a proper sleep.
- Avoid white bread, puddings, pies, pickles / sauce, tinned food.
- Don’t eat red meat.
- Avoid junk foods and fried foods.
Proper medical treatment along with above home remedies can help you overcome this health problem.