Tinnitus or hyperacusis is characterized by constant unpleasant and intermittent sound in the ears. They may hurt the patient’s sleep and concentration. One of the possible reasons for this ailment is defect in auditory system, like pressure differences and lesions in cavities of inner ear and nerve endings, nervous imbalance of spine or jaw, circulatory or inflammatory tension of muscles, jaw and teeth imbalance, aging-related damage to auditory nerve, imbalance of cervical vertebrae, attack of inner ear by external particle, etc. Tinnitus is very difficult to treat, so care must be taken to avoid it in the first place or try out something that may not worsen the symptoms. Significant symptoms may include weakness or numbness on one side of the face, loss of coordination, and hissing, buzzing, roaring sounds in the ears. Tinnitus may continue for more than a week. If not treated on time, the symptoms become so severe that result in hearing loss. Here are some tried and tested home remedies to get rid of tinnitus.
Home Remedies for Tinnitus
1. Skull Thumping Trick
- Cover your ears with your palms in such a way that your fingers point backwards, supporting your skull.
- Your middle fingers must touch each other.
- Make your index fingers rest on your middle fingers.
- Flip your index fingers onto the backside of the skull (down off your middle fingers), so that it produces thumping or beating noise.
- Repeat this motion 40-50 times until you find that ringing has subsided.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey in a glass of water. Drink this solution 2-3 times daily, until you feel relief in ringing sensation of ears.
Crush two garlic cloves and heat them with sesame oil. Strain this mixture and put 2-3 drops of this oil in each ear. It must be done daily before going to bed, for a week.
Grate some onions and extract their juice. Heat it for 30 seconds and then allow it to cool. Put 2-3 drops of this juice in each ear. Leave it for 5 minutes and then turn your head sideways to drain off the extra juice. It must be repeated daily for a week.
Prepare ginger tea by steeping 1½ tbsp of freshly grated ginger in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and add a little honey to it. Sip this tea 2-3 times daily for several days to ease the symptoms of tinnitus.
- Alternatively, chew some pieces of raw ginger to get rid of the pain in the ears.
6. Saline Solution
Mix 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp of glycerin in 2 cups of warm water. Fill it in a nasal spray bottle and pour it in each nostril. This remedy must be repeated 2-3 times a day, until the nasal passage is completely cleared.
Pumpkin fulfills the deficiency of vitamin A in the body that is essential for proper functioning of the cochlea (inner ear) and handles transmission and reception of sounds.
8. Mustard Oil
Slightly warm some mustard oil and put a few drops in your ear. Let it sit there for 10 minutes and then tilt your head sideways so that the excess oil comes out of the ear. Repeat this once daily, for a week.
Include pineapple in your diet as it helps reduce inflammation in the body due to the presence of an enzyme known as bromelain. It can also be taken in the form of juice.
10. Dry Fruits
Munch dry fruits, such as raisins, date, and apricots to enhance the flow of blood in the surrounding areas of ears and thus will relieve inflammation and pain. It will ease the discomfort resulted due to tinnitus.
11. Sesame Oil
Calming and soothing properties of sesame oil give fast relief from the symptoms associated with sesame oil. You just need to warm 5-10 drops of sesame oil. Lie down and pour the oil, one by one in each ear, with a gap of 5-6 minutes. While doing this, breathe deeply.
12. Foot Bath
First soak your feet in hot water and afterwards, in cold water. This alternative foot bath will minimize the ringing, hissing or buzzing sound in the ears.
13. Fenugreek Seed Tea
Crush some fenugreek seeds (1 teaspoon) in a cup of boiled water, now heat this mix on simmer for 6-7 minutes. Drink it daily twice for atleast 10 days in a row, to alleviate tinnitus. Do not add milk to this tea.
Note – Expecting women should not use this remedy.
14. Coconut Oil
Slightly warm the coconut oil. Put it in each ear to reduce ringing and buzzing.
15. Castor Oil
Pour a few drops of castor oil in your ears and plug them with a cotton swab. This process must be done daily to get relief from ringing and pain in ears.
Tinnitus can be effectively treated with the help of acupressure. Acupressure points for tinnitus can be found in all parts of your body like head, feet, abdomen, wrist, back, etc. Consult your physician for acupressure points to get relief from pain.
Herbal Remedies for Tinnitus
17. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba has anti-bacterial and antifungal properties that treat all sorts of infection and improve blood circulation in ears; thus reducing ringing sensation. Take around 120 – 240 mg of Ginkgo biloba extract, 3-4 times daily.
Note – This remedy is not recommended for children.
Grind some basil leaves in a blender. Strain the juice. Warm this juice slightly and use a dropper to put a few drops in your ear. It must be done twice daily for 3-4 days.
19. Chamomile, Cinnamon, and Comfrey
Mix chamomile, cinnamon, and comfrey, and store the mixture in the air/waterproof container. Steep this mixture (1 teaspoon) in warm water (1 cup) for at least 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink it thrice a day to get rid of tinnitus.
20. Green Tea
Boil 1 tbsp of green tea in a cup of water and steep it for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and sip it 2-3 times a day. This tea is rich in antioxidants; hence, prevent ringing of the ears.
21. Mistletoe Tea
Add 3 tablespoons of mistletoe in 3 cups of water. Steep it. Strain the mixture and sip it in the morning. Drink this tea three times a day to get relief from the problem of tinnitus.
Oregano has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiviral properties. Boil around 1 tbsp of dried oregano in 100 ml of water for 10-15 minutes. Take this mixture once every day to ease the pain resulted due to tinnitus.
23. Sunflower Seeds
Consume sunflower seeds directly or make a tea and sip it 1-2 times a day to ease earache.
24. Passion Flower
Mix 1 tbsp of dried passion flower in a cup of water and steep it for 15 minutes. Then strain this mixture. Sip this tea before you go to the bed to get rid of the pain in ears.
Crush some plantain leaves. Mix 2 tablespoons of it in a cup of water. Drink it thrice a day for eight weeks to see the results. Or else, use the plantain water to overcome the problem. All you need to do is soak a cotton ball in water and put it in the affected ear. Dispose of the cotton after 5-6 minutes.
This herb contains many antioxidants that restore the blood flow to the ears; thus help treat tinnitus effectively.
27. Essential Oils
Mix 15 drops each of Lavender essential oil, juniper berry essential oil, cypress essential oil, 5 drops of Helichrysum essential oil and 30 drops of career oil (like coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil or castor oil). Store it in a dark colored bottle in a dark place. Massage this oil on the bone behind the ear, on the ear lobe, and on the neck.
- Or else, you can use these essential oils separately. Dip a cotton ball in any of your favorite essential oils. Insert it in the affected ear and keep it overnight. In the morning, remove the cotton ball and cleanse the ear.
Note – Do not use essential oils directly on the ears.
- Avoid eating fats as it increases the cholesterol and enhances the problem of ringing ears. Replace the saturated fats in your diet with unsaturated fats like omega-6, linoleic acid, etc.
- To relieve pressure and pain in ears, make use of warm compress or heating pad.
- Reduce your stress through meditation, exercise and massage therapy.
- Reduce salt intake as it reduces the blood circulation and may cause high blood pressure.
- Improve your lifestyle, have proper sleep and healthy diet, and exercise regularly to boost your immune system and fight infections and diseases.
- If you cannot avoid loud noises, wear protective earplugs and earmuffs.
- Make use of stereo headphones with care.
- Divert your attention to other things, if the pain in ears increases.
- Avoid eating foods, like avocado, chocolate, milk, cheese, ripe banana, soybeans and citrus fruits as they cause allergy and may aggravate the problem of tinnitus.
- Keep away from stimulants, like tea, coffee, alcohol and cigarettes, as they dilate the blood vessels by increasing the pressure on them, thereby stimulating the problem of ringing in ears.
- Limit the use of aspirin and other painkillers containing acetylsalicylic acid.
- Evade places which may cause damage to cochleae, like swimming pool, construction sites, heavy traffic, airplanes, gunshots, fireworks and discs.