You may suffer from headache at some point in your life. Headache makes whole day miserable. There are several types of headache – migraine, sinus, cluster and tension headache. Confusion of ideas, blurring of vision, and tightness around neck, eyes and head are some signs of headache. Strain in neck or eye, overuse of painkillers, oversleeping, excessive drinking and smoking, abnormal neuron activity, tension or stress, genetic factors, physiological changes in the head, dehydration, lack of sleep, and constriction of blood vessels are some of the leading causes of headache. If you are one of those who prefer home treatment over medicines to get rid of headache, then here are some natural remedies for you.
Home Remedies for Headache
Ginger decreases the soreness of the blood vessels in the head, thereby relieves headache. Prepare a paste by adding 2 tablespoons of water to dry ginger powder. Apply it on the forehead.
- Combine lemon juice and ginger juice in equal quantities. Drink it 1-2 times a day.
- Chew 1-2 pieces of ginger candy (crystallized).
- Boil raw ginger or powder of ginger in water for a few minutes. Inhale its steam.
2. Ice Pack
Ice lessens inflammation and eases pain. In order to soothe migraine headache, apply an ice pack on the back of your neck. Alternatively, dip a washcloth in ice-cold water. Put it on your head for 5-7 minutes. Repeat it several times.
- Or else, wrap some frozen vegetables in a bag. Use it as a cold compress on your head to get rid of pain.
Sprinkle some salt on apple slices; eat it in the morning for a week. It will balance the levels of alkali and acid in the body, thus relieves you from chronic headache.
Remove the outer covering (rind) of 2-3 lemons. Prepare a paste by crushing and chopping the rind. Apply this paste on forehead.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Fill a glass with water and add 2 teaspoons of ACV to it. Mix properly and drink. Alternatively, mix equal quantities of ACV and water. Boil it in a saucepan. Sniff the steam to cure sinus headache.
6. Caraway Seeds
Dry roast some caraway seeds and tie them in a muslin cloth or handkerchief. Inhale the smell to get rid of headache.
Take 1½ cups of milk and add 2 teaspoons of powdered cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of honey to it. Stir it properly. Drink it two times a day when you suffer from headache.
- Or else, sip water mixed with honey on an empty stomach every morning to cure chronic headache in a natural way.
Cloves act as natural painkiller and relieve tension headache. Crush some cloves and place them in a clean cloth. Whenever you feel headache, inhale the odor of crushed cloves.
- Alternatively, mix a tablespoon of carrier oil with 2 drops of clove oil. Use this mixture to massage your temples and forehead.
- Or else, mix 2 drops of clove oil, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Rub the mixture on your forehead.
9. Warm Soup
Sprinkle some pepper on warm soup and have it to clear the nasal blockage and treat headache.
The salicin in almonds acts as a pain reliever. Therefore, try having a handful of almonds whenever you feel headache.
Note – People suffering from migraines must not use this remedy.
11. Cinnamon Powder
Add water to 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder to make a paste. Rub it on temple and forehead.
12. Fish Oil
The ingredients in fish oil soothe the inflammation of blood cells, thus, reduce headache. Take a glass of cold orange juice and add a tablespoon of fish oil to it. Drink it. You can also consume fish oil capsules.
If the cause of headache is heat, drink watermelon juice. You can sweeten the juice.
Prepare a decoction of coriander and sugar; and drink it. Alternatively, make a tea using coriander seeds, ginger and cumin. Drink the tea to soothe pain.
If the cause of headache is dehydration, just drink a glass of cool water to get relief within a few minutes. Moreover, you are suggested to drink 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day, in order to keep your body hydrated.
This remedy sounds weird, but is very effective. It is believed that people subconsciously clenching jaw and teeth which exerts strain on the muscles of temples. Consequently, s/he experience headache. In order to get relief, put a pencil in between your teeth, but do not bite it. It will help relax jaw muscles.
Herbal Remedies to Cure Headache
17. Green Tea
Add a bag of green tea to 1 cup warm water. Add juice of ½ a lemon to it. Mix properly. Drink this tea for quick relief from headache.
Feverfew eases the pain by relaxing the constricted blood vessels. All you need to do is steep 1 ounce of dried or fresh feverfew flowers in boiling water (1 pint) for at least 8-10 minutes. Strain the tea. Drink it two times a day.
Rub sandalwood powder on the forehead to cure headache in summers.
Rosemary oil has rosmarinic acid which is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. Mix a few drops of rosemary oil with carrier oil (1 tablespoon) and massage it on temples and forehead.
- Or else, add 1 teaspoon each of crushed sage leaves and rosemary leaves to a cup of water. Allow the herbs steep for 8-10 minutes. Drink the tea when it cools down to room temperature. Have this tea twice or thrice a day.
Note – People suffering from high blood pressure or epilepsy should not use rosemary oil.
21. Mint Juice
Menthol in mint juice helps soothe the discomfort caused due to headache. Take a handful of mint leaves. Crush them and extract juice from them. Apply this juice on head to get rid of headache. Or else, prepare mint tea. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply on your forehead to cure the pain.
22. Peppermint Oil
The menthol present in peppermint has calming effect that helps alleviate headache. Mix peppermint essential oil (3 drops) in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, almond oil or just water. Use this mixture to massage your temples and forehead
- Alternatively, boil some water in a small pot. Add 4-5 drops of peppermint oil to it. Inhale the vapors.
The analgesic and soothing effects of basil relax the tense muscles, and treat the mild headache. Steep 3-4 basil leaves (fresh) in 1 cup of boiling water. Strain it and add some honey (optional). Sip it slowly.
- Or else, boil water in a pot and add a few drops of basil oil or 1 tablespoon of basil leaves to it. Inhale the steam.
- Alternatively, mix basil oil with a base oil. Use it to massage forehead.
- Chew fresh basil leaves on daily basis.
24. Lavender Oil
If the cause of headache is tension, just inhale the pleasant smell of lavender essential oil. Take a tissue paper and pour a few drops of lavender essential on it. Inhale it. Alternatively, boil 2 cups of water. Add 2 drops of lavender essential oil to it and inhale the vapors.
- Another option is to combine lavender essential oil (2-3 drops) with carrier oil (1 tablespoon) such as olive oil or almond oil. Use this mixture to massage your forehead.
Note: Don’t intake lavender oil orally.
25. Betel Leaves
Crush some betel leaves to prepare the paste. Apply it on the forehead. Cooling and analgesic properties of betel leaves treat the headache naturally.
26. Bishop’s Weed
Burn some Bishop’s weed seeds and smoke the fumes to pacify the headache that is caused due to migraine. You can also sniff the seeds directly.
Henna flowers are very effective in alleviating the headache resulted due to heat. Just add some vinegar to the henna flowers and rub on the head to get the desired results.
28. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus is one of the best natural remedies for the treatment of headache. Simply massage the oil to get relief.
- Get proper sleep.
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated.
- Apply cold or hot compress on your neck and forehead.
- Perform physical activities like daily walk and exercise to avert stress.
- Eat healthy food to maintain the level of blood sugar to prevent headache.
- Do not skip meals.
- Avoid cream, chocolate, cheese, fried and junk foods as it may worsen the pain.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages, peanut butter, sour creams, chocolates and other foods that trigger headache.