Most of us don’t mind trying every single remedy told by our friends or relatives to get perfect hair. Our annoyance knows no bound if we don’t get the desired results even after putting so much effort. Dry scalp is one such problem that can result in itchiness, flakiness, dandruff, and hair fall. The underlying causes of the dry scalp are – hot water, chemical-laden hair products, improper diet, pollution, cold weather or other environmental factors, stress, etc. Before this problem becomes an embarrassment for you, get rid of it using some natural ways. Here, we have included the best home remedies for dry scalp. Try them!
Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Heat 3 cups of water in a saucepan with some rosemary. Bring the mixture to a boil and then let it cool. Add half a cup of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of essential oil to it. Store the mixture in a jar. Use it regularly after shampooing your hair.
2. Coconut Oil
The hydrating properties of coconut oil moisturize the scalp and reduce the flakiness. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which fights off the fungus and microbes present on the scalp. Combine the coconut oil with any of the essential oils and massage it.
- Alternatively, take a tablespoon of crushed camphor. Add it to 5 tablespoons of warm coconut oil. Massage in a circular motion and let it remain overnight. Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Or else, heat coconut oil (3 tbsp) on low flame. Turn off the flame. Add grape juice (1 tbsp) and lemon juice (1 tbsp) to it. Apply it on the scalp and rub it for 15 minutes. Tie a towel around your head and keep it for 15 minutes. Use shampoo to wash your hair afterward.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants which keep the scalp skin healthier. Vitamin A and other nutrients protect the hair from the damage caused by harsh shampoos. The polyphenols in the oil clean the scalp. Take 5 tablespoons of sugar and add it to a sufficient quantity of olive oil. Then apply the oil to your head and massage gently for 10 minutes. Wash your hair with a regular shampoo.
- Put 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add 2 tablespoons each of honey and glycerine in a bowl. Mix them well. Use this mixture as a conditioner after washing your hair. This will moisturize your scalp and provide a glossy look to the locks.
- Take an avocado and mash it in a grinder to make a fine paste. Then, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of honey. Apply this mixture on your scalp for 30 minutes. Wash it with warm water. In the end, rinse off with shampoo to get shinier and healthier hair.
- Take 5 tablespoons of olive oil and add an equal quantity of broccoli puree to it. Apply the mixture on your hair and let it stay for an hour. Wash it off with a mild shampoo to remove the itchiness of the scalp.
4. Sesame Oil
Olive oil opens up the clogged pores to release the natural oil, thus hydrating the scalp and keeping it nourished and moisturized. It also acts as a natural sunscreen for the hair. Fatty acids such as omega-6 and omega-9 in it promote the hair growth. Massage your head with sesame oil for 10 minutes in a circular motion. Let it stay overnight and then wash it off with shampoo.
- Apply ample amount of sesame oil on your head. Then, dip a towel in hot water and squeeze. Wrap the towel around your head for 30 minutes and then wash it off with shampoo.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of sesame oil and ginger juice with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your scalp. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then rinse off with shampoo.
Honey is a natural moisturizer which locks the moisture in the scalp and provides a break from the dry and flaky head. Take a medium-sized ripe banana. Mash it and add 25ml of warm honey to it. Apply this paste on your head and leave the mixture for 45 minutes. Wash the hair with water first and then with shampoo.
- Alternatively, add 20ml honey to a bowl of curd. Curd will provide the needed moisturizer to the hair and keep them nourished and healthy. Apply the mixture on the scalp and let it rest for 30-40 minutes. Remove it with water and then use a regular shampoo to wash it thoroughly.
- Spread diluted honey on the scalp and massage it for 5 minutes. Leave it for 3 hours and then wash it off. The itchiness and skin lesions will disappear in a week’s time.
Have you ever thought that mayonnaise can do wonders for your scalp and hair? Mayonnaise contains egg and oils which provide deep nourishment to the hair. It also contains vinegar which removes bacterial and fungal infections. All you need to do is take one cup of mayonnaise and add one beaten egg to it. You can also add 2 teaspoons of coffee powder so that it smells good. Apply the mask on your head for 2 hours and then wash it off with shampoo.
7. Baking Soda
You would be surprised to know that a common ingredient from the kitchen can save you from the torture of an itchy and dry scalp. Baking soda sheds the dead skin cells off the head. Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and scrub it on the scalp to remove the flakiness. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off.
Note: Wash your hair with plain water without the application of shampoo. Initially, you may experience dry hair, but they will eventually get softer with the production of natural oil in the scalp.
8. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an effective remedy for dry scalp. It contains ricinoleic acid which kills the bacteria that causes dry and flaky skin. Apply warm castor oil on your scalp and massage it for a while. Keep it for 20 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
Beat an egg and apply it on the dry scalp. The deep conditioning properties of an egg will nourish your hair, making them glossy. Later on, wash off with shampoo and lukewarm water.
Note – This remedy works better when used on washed and clean hair.
10. Mustard Oil
You may not like the pungent aroma of mustard oil, but the goodness of this oil for your scalp can’t be denied. All you need to do is massage your scalp with warm mustard oil before going to sleep. In the morning, rinse off with lukewarm water.
Use this remedy if you want an instant relief from the dry scalp. Soak 3 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water for the whole night. In the morning, blend them in a mixer and apply it to the scalp. Rinse off when it dries.
Yogurt is of great help in removing the dryness of the scalp. Apply yogurt to your scalp and keep it for 30 minutes. For effective results, you can add egg white to it. This remedy provides the needed moisturizer to the scalp.
13. Shea Butter
Shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties that help cure the dry and irritated scalp. Add 1 tsp vitamin E oil and 1 cup olive oil to some shea butter. Boil the ingredients in a double boiler. Once it cools down, apply gently on the scalp. Wash out after 30-45 minutes.
Steam treatment helps in better absorption of oil by opening up the pores of the scalp. Heat some water in a vessel. Immerse a thin towel in the hot water. Twist it to drain out the excess water. Open the towel and wrap it around the head. Steam your hair for 10-15 minutes and then shampoo as usual.
Milk, being rich in vitamin D, soothes the scalp. Honey works as a natural moisturizer. Mix 1/4 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of milk. Add a few drops of olive oil to it. Apply it on the scalp. Wash it away after 2 hours.
Add 3 teaspoons of glycerine to filtered water. Apply the solution to the scalp and wrap a towel soaked in hot water for 5-10 minutes. This is one of the effective remedies to treat dry scalp.
- Alternatively, mix glycerine and conditioner in a 1:3 ratio.
17. Lemon Juice
Rub lemon juice on your scalp and rinse off after 10 minutes. For best results, mix it with yogurt, egg white or warm oil.
Note – Don’t let lemon juice stay on your scalp for a longer duration as it may dry out your scalp.
Mash the pulp of an avocado and rub it on your scalp. Leave it for 25-30 minutes and then wash it out. This remedy hydrates your scalp naturally. Use it at least once a week.
Onions are rich in sulfur, thus, help combat the hair problems including the dry scalp. Peel 2 onions and blend them. Put the pureed onions in cheesecloth and squeeze it to extract the juice. If you can’t tolerate the odor, add a few drops of essential oil to the juice. Massage it on the scalp with your fingertips. Rise off later.
Herbal Remedies for Dry Scalp Treatment
20. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-fungal properties that kill the bacteria that cause white flakes in the head.
- Add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil in little water and use this to rinse your head after you are done with the shampooing. You can add a few drops of peppermint oil to add some fragrance.
- Alternatively, you can add a little amount of tea tree oil in jojoba or coconut oil and massage your scalp. Let it remain on your head for few hours and then wash your hair with shampoo.
21. Aloe Vera
Apply aloe vera juice on your scalp. Keep it for 30 minutes. Then, use shampoo to wash it off. This remedy cleans the hair pores, prevents hair loss, and adds shine to your locks.
Note – Aloe vera juice must not contain sugar.
Lemongrass oil is an effective treatment for curing dry scalp. It soothes the hair and softens them by providing a greasy effect. Just massage warm lemongrass oil to the scalp. Wash off with a mild conditioner after half an hour.
23. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil fights against the microbes and opens up the pores, thereby reducing the chances of itchiness and irritation. Mix 3 tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil, and 2 cups of water to make a mixture. Apply it on your scalp and hair for some time. Then, wash as usual.
24. Lavender Oil
It is an active ingredient in shampoos because of its aromatic smell. The toning, cleansing, and moisturizing properties make lavender oil an excellent agent for curing dry scalp. Massage warm lavender oil onto the scalp for effective results.
Rosemary is effective in treating scalp irritation. It contains antioxidants that prevent drying of the scalp. They add lustre to the hair along with making scalp clean. Boil rosemary leaves in some water. When the solution cools down, apply it on hair with a cotton ball.
- Alternatively, massage your scalp with warm olive oil. Then wrap your head with a towel dipped in hot water. After half an hour, rinse off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
Thyme is beneficial for dry, flaky scalp. Put some thyme leaves in a saucepan containing water. Let it boil. Apply the mixture on the scalp, once it cools down.
27. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac has multi-benefits and is applied on the scalp in order to get rid of itchiness and irritation. Apply Indian lilac oil on the head and do gentle massage. Wash it later using shampoo.
- Alternatively, blend leaves of the tree to make 1 cup paste. Add a little amount of water and apply on your scalp for an hour. Wash it with shampoo.
- Or else, boil some leaves of Indian lilac in a saucepan for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair with the concentrated medicated water after shampooing.
Sage leaves have the capability of relieving you from the dry scalp. Boil a cup of sage leaves in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes on low flame. On cooling, apply the solution on your head with a cotton ball. Use an herbal shampoo to wash your hair.
29. Basil and Lawsonia Leaves
Basil leaves have antibacterial and antiviral properties and are extensively used in Ayurveda. Lawsonia leaves are used for coloring and are antifungal in nature. Grind 1 cup each of Lawsonia leaves, basil leaves, and Indian lilac leaves to form a fine powder. Add 5 cups coconut oil and a few drops of lemon juice to it. Boil the mixture. Strain when it cools down and store in a jar. Apply it twice a week before shampooing your hair.
- Wear a scarf to protect your hair from the sun and other harsh weather conditions.
- Brush your hair regularly as it increases blood circulation and distributes natural oil in the scalp.
- Take balanced diet.
- Do not use hot water as it makes your hair drier.
- Avoid using too much shampoo and chemical hair treatments as it destroys the natural hair quality.
- Don’t over style your hair by the use of curlers and straighteners as heat can result in damaged hair.
- Do not use alcohol-based shampoo since they dry the hair.
- Do not tie wet hair.