Are you suffering from Toenail fungus, or onychomycosis? This is a fungal infection that gets in through cuticles. There are several yeasts and fungi that affect the nail bed and causes discoloration of nails. It is contagious and hereditary as well. People with diabetes, weak immune system, and circulatory problem may generally suffer from the toenail fungus. Besides, excessive perspiration, abnormal pH level of the skin, poor hygiene, sweaty socks and shoes can also cause the problem. At an initial stage of this infection, you will see a small yellow or white spot below the tip of your nail. When the infection spreads, nails may appear thicker and oddly shaped, and may start crumbling. Moreover, inflammation and pain can also be felt. Don’t leave toenail fungus untreated as it may cause complete loss of nail. If you want to cure it naturally without making a dent in your pocket, then try some natural home remedies to get rid of toenail fungus.
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Take water and apple cider vinegar in equal proportion and mix them well. Soak your infected nail in it for half an hour on a regular basis.
- Prepare an antifungal exfoliating scrub by adding few tsp of vinegar in round rice flour. Now, apply it on the affected area and scrub it gently. Wash off with plain water.
2. Baking Soda
Take ½ cup of epsom salt, ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide, ½ cup of baking soda and mix them in 4 cups of water. Add ¼ cup of white vinegar in this mixture. Soak your nail in it and leave it for 10 minutes. Wash your nail and let it dry. Do it twice daily for several weeks to get rid of onychomycosis.
- Alternatively, prepare a paste by using water and baking soda in 1:2 ratios. Apply the paste on the infected nail using a cotton ball. Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat the process twice a day for 2 weeks in order to get complete relief from the infection.
3. Listerine Mouthwash
Take a small tub and fill it with equal amount of white vinegar and listerine. Soak the toenail in the solution for half an hour and scrub it gently. Rinse it and repeat the remedy 1-2 times daily. This treatment keeps fungi and bacteria at bay.
Take 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves and eat them daily to treat onychomycosis. Or else, mix equal proportion of white vinegar and garlic oil. Apply it on the toenail and cover it with bandage. Leave it for a few hours and repeat it daily to cure infection.
5. Lemon Juice
Squeeze a fresh lemon to extract its juice. Apply it on the affected area and wait for half an hour. Rinse the area with warm water. Repeat it a couple of times to prevent fungus from spreading.
- Take equal amount of olive oil and lemon juice and mix them. Massage gently on the infected area using this mixture. Wash off after few hours. This remedy helps control infection.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains lauric acid and medium chain triglycerides that help break the cell wall of fungi. Take few drops of oil in your hands and apply it onto the infected toe. Allow it to dry and absorb naturally. Apply it two or three times a day to prevent fungus.
7. White Vinegar
Mix white vinegar and lukewarm water in 1:2 ratios. Soak the infected part in this solution for 15 minutes. Rinse off and let it dry. Repeat it twice a day in order to restore the pH of skin.
8. Vicks Vaporub
Wash your feet using lukewarm water and let it dry. Apply Vicks Vaporub on the toenail and cover it with bandage. Wear a pair of socks. Repeat 2 times a day for 6 -10 weeks or until you see improvement.
9. Vitamin E Oil
Apply vitamin E oil on the affected area and underneath the nail. Repeat it daily to fasten the healing process.
Take an onion slice and rub it on the infected toenail for few minutes. This is one of the most effective natural cures for fungal infection.
Mix turmeric powder and water to make a paste. Spread it on the affected area and leave it for few minutes. Let it dry. Later, wash with plain water.
- Moreover, take turmeric oil and water in 1:3 ratios and prepare a diluted solution. Apply it directly on the infected nail using cotton. Repeat the process thrice daily in order to speed up the healing process.
- Instead, the extract of 300 milligrams of turmeric can be taken thrice a day.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix water and hydrogen peroxide in equal amount. Dip the affected toenail in this solution for 20 minutes and let it dry.
13. Rubbing Alcohol
You can use rubbing alcohol to cure fungal infection. Soak your feet in the solution for at least 20 minutes to remove toenail fungus.
Take a cup of cornmeal and mix it in 2 quarts of water. Leave the mixture for an hour. Now, soak your infected foot in it for 30 minutes. Do this once a week to remove fungus from toenail.
15. Sodium Borate
It is a very effective fungicide commonly termed as borax. Take baking soda and sodium borate in equal amount and add water to make a paste. Keep this aside and wet your feet. Now, spread this mixture and massage gently around the infected area. For the treatment of toenail fungus, perform this remedy two times a day for two weeks.
16. Probiotic Food
You can increase consumption of probiotic food in your daily diet to get rid of toenail fungus. Kefir and yogurt are best to cure this kind of infection. However, added sugar or any artificial filler may feed the fungus, so better avoid it to maintain the effectiveness of pro-biotics.
Herbal Remedies for Toenail Fungus
17. Tea Tree Oil
There are many essential oils for toenail fungus that you can try. Tea tree oil is one of the best.
Take a few drops of tea tree oil and mix it with one tsp of coconut or olive oil. Apply it onto the infected area using a cotton ball and leave it for ten minutes. Gently scrub the toenail with a toothbrush. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
18. Oregano Oil
The antifungal properties of oregano ward off the skin infection. Take 1 tsp of olive oil and add a few drops of oregano oil in it. Mix them well and apply it onto the toenail. Leave it for half an hour. Afterwards, rinse it off. Follow this remedy 2 times a day for 3 weeks.
19. Lavender Oil
Mix 5 drops each of tea tree and lavender oil. Apply this solution onto the affected part and surrounding area using cotton. Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse it off afterwards. Repeat it 1-3 times a day to prevent the irritation.
20. Orange Oil
You can apply orange oil on the infected toes using a dropper and leave it for half an hour. Repeat it 2-3 times a day for 2-3 months.
Note: This oil may cause allergic reactions. So try it on a small area before using this remedy.
21. Lemongrass Oil
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of lemongrass oil protect your toenail from further infection and reduce the symptoms like crumbling, fragility and distortion of toenail. This is very effective home remedies to fight against the infection. You can use this oil in any of the following ways:
- Mix 12 drops of lemongrass oil and 1 ounce of coconut/grapeseed oil. Apply this mixture onto the infected areas.
- Moreover, drink 1 cup of lemongrass tea thrice a day in order to heal the toenail fungus internally.
- Or else, use teabags to clear the fungus faster. Compress it on the infected part.
22. Manuka Oil
Manuka oil provides the best treatment for toenail fungus. Take few drops of this herbal oil and apply it directly onto the infected area. Cover the feet with cotton socks or any cotton fabric. Leave it for half an hour.
- Alternatively, take two quarts of lukewarm water and pour ten drops of manuka oil in it. Soak your feet in this solution for 15 minutes daily in order to prevent further growth of fungal infection.
23. Castor Oil
Soak a cotton cloth in the castor oil and wrap it around the affected area of feet all night.
24. Thyme Oil
Apply thyme oil two times a day to prevent fungal infection.
Boil a cup of water and add six tsp of powdered licorice. Simmer the solution for 20 minutes on a medium heat. Strain it afterwards and apply it on the toenail using a cotton ball. Do this thrice a day to fasten the recovery process.
26. Pau D’Arco Tea
Take 1-2 tsp of this herb in dried form and boil it in 1 cup of water for at least twenty minutes. Allow it to cool down. Soak your feet in this solution to get rid of toenail fungus.
27. Black Walnut Salve
Prepare a mixture by adding 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 8 drops of tea tree oil, 1 box of sea salt and black walnut hulls. Mix them well and soak your feet in this solution for at least 30 minutes to improve the condition.
Pour some warm water in a tub and add hydrogen peroxide in it. Now dip your feet for sometime in this water. Thereafter, apply sea salt on your toe nail and leave it for a couple of minutes. Now, add a cup of sea salt into the tub and dip your feet again in it. Leave it for 30 minutes. Pat your feet dry and apply one or two drops vinegar to your toenail. Try this saltwater soak daily to heal the infected toe completely. This treatment will kill the bacteria causing infection.
29. Iodine Tincture
This is one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. You can apply iodine onto the infected nail to strengthen the weak nails. First of all clean your nail and trim it short. Let it dry thoroughly and apply iodine on top and underneath the nail. Apply it before you go to bed and repeat it daily for a week.
Note: Don’t use hydrogen peroxide on nail that has been treated using iodine.
30. Indian Lilac Oil
Massage your nail using this herbal oil as the antifungal properties of this oil moisturize and nourish the infected toenail.
- Keep your feet dry.
- Trim your infected nail frequently.
- Put on moisture absorbing shoes and socks.
- Wash your feet after coming back from the public places such as spas, locker rooms, showers and swimming pools to avoid infection.
- Use flip flops or sandals.
- Have diet rich in nutrients so as to boost up the immune system.
- Wear rubber gloves that absorb water from fingers and open shoes.
- Use antifungal powder.
- Avoid walking barefoot in damp places.
- Don’t share shoes or socks with other people.
- Avoid excessive intake of sugary foods like pies and cakes, hydrogenated fats and pasteurized milk.
- Avoid using artificial nails and nail polish.
- Avoid sharing linen with infected person.
- Don’t wear tight footwear.