Do you want to get rid of black lips and wish to have natural rosy, beautiful, and luscious lips? Lips get darkened by smoking, sucking on lips, drinking caffeinated beverages like tea, coffee, alcohol, chlorinated water, exposure to the sun, and humid temperature. Other causes of dark lips are an imbalance of hormones, poor lifestyle, and vitamin deficiency. We don’t mind using expensive cosmetic lip products to overcome this problem. If you are looking for natural treatment, go for the following home remedies to get rid of dark lips.
Remedies to Lighten Dark Lips at Home
Lemon juice is the best home remedy for lightening the skin. It has a bleaching property which helps lighten the lips as well. Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice on the affected area before going to sleep and rinse with water in the morning. Use this simple remedy for 1 month or until the results are visible.
- Take a fresh lemon slice and sprinkle sugar on it. Rub the affected area with the sugar coated lemon. Use this remedy daily.
- Take a ½ teaspoon each of lemon juice, honey and glycerin. Mix them in a bowl and apply on the affected area before going to sleep. Rinse with water in the morning.
Note – Application of the lemon juice on the chapped and dry lips may cause irritation and pain.
Sugar works as a natural scrub. All you need to do is mix granulated sugar (3 tbsp) and butter (2 tbsp). Gently exfoliate your lips with this scrub. Use this remedy once in a week.
- Alternatively, make a mixture of granulated sugar (1 tbsp), honey (1 tbsp), and almond oil (½ tbsp). Scrub this mixture on your lips. This makes your lips softer and lighter.
- Or else, use granulated sugar with cold cream. Scrub with it to get pink lips.
Honey is an amazing natural remedy for lips. It has many beauty ingredients which moisten your lips and make them light. Apply pure honey on your lips before going to sleep. Rinse it off with the lukewarm water in the morning.
- Mix honey and almond oil (1 tablespoon each) and rub it on your lips. Rinse it off after half an hour. Repeat this remedy thrice a day.
4. Gram Flour
Make a mixture by combining ½ tbsp each of gram flour, honey and yogurt. Apply this mixture on your lips and wash it off with warm water after half an hour. Practice this on a regular basis to get the desired results.
Beetroot has natural bleaching properties. Take a piece of beetroot and scrub it on your lips for 5 minutes. Leave until your skin soaks all the juice.
- Or else, mix equal amount of beetroot juice and carrot juice or tomato juice. Apply it on the lips. Rinse it off with the lukewarm water after 10-15 minutes.
Rose has soothing and moisturizing properties, which help make your lips pink. Take some rosewater and honey. Mix them and apply on your lips. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Use this remedy twice or thrice a day.
- Take 1 tablespoon of rose petals and 1 teaspoon each of butter, honey, and milk cream. Make a paste (add some water if needed) and scrub your lips with it. Let it stay for at least 5 minutes. Follow this remedy two times a week.
- Take a few rose petals and soak them in the raw milk for 1 hour. Grind them to make a paste. You can also add one-half tablespoon of honey and a pinch of saffron to it. Apply this paste on your lips and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
7. Olive Oil
Natural oils such as olive oil make your lips soft and pink. Take some extra virgin olive oil and apply it on your lips before hitting the hay. You can also add some sugar to the oil to prepare a scrub.
8. Almond Oil
Almond oil is a good source of vitamin E. Application of this oil nourishes your lips and helps retain their original color. Take some extra virgin almond oil and mix it with some lemon juice. Apply this on your lips at night and rinse with water in the morning.
Pomegranate helps lips to restore their natural color as well as hydrates and nourishes them. Take 1 tablespoon of crushed pomegranate seeds, little milk cream, and rosewater. Mix all the ingredients. Apply this on your lips and gently scrub for 5-10 minutes. Repeat this remedy once a day.
- Mix pomegranate juice, carrot juice, and beetroot juice (1 tablespoon each). Apply this mixture on your lips every day.
Take a slice of fresh cucumber and rub on your lips for 2-3 minutes. Let your lips soak the cucumber juice.
- A mix of coconut water, cucumber juice, and lemon juice is also an excellent home remedy to lighten the dark lips naturally.
11. Turmeric Powder
Take some turmeric powder and mix it with milk cream, to make a paste. Massage your lips with this paste.
- Or else, mix turmeric powder with gram flour and rub it on your lips.
Note: Gram flour dries out the lips making it a poor option for those whose lips are already dry. If you use this, be sure to use a good moisturizer after removing the paste.
12. Castor Oil
Take crushed rose petals, glycerin and castor oil. Mix them and massage your dark lips with it, daily. Castor oil and almond oil mixture is also a great natural remedy for lightening the dark lips.
Take 5-6 strawberries and crush them. Mix them with 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Apply this paste before going to bed and leave it overnight. Rinse with water the next morning.
- Apply strawberry juice on the lips using a cotton ball and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. Use this remedy daily to have pinkish pouts.
- Mix 1 tablespoon strawberry juice with 2 tablespoons petroleum jelly. Apply it on the lips to make them soft and pink.
Ginger juice and egg white mix is a great cure for pale lips. Use this remedy on the regular basis for the desired results.
Grind almonds and milk cream together and apply on your lips to make them pink naturally. Use this home remedy until you feel the difference.
16. Homemade Lip Balm
Use homemade lip balm to nourish your lips. All you need to do is melt beeswax (2½ tablespoons) in a double boiler. Add 12-15 drops of rose essential oil, 2 tbsp almond oil, 4 tbsp coconut oil, and 1 tbsp rosewater. Use a dropper to pour the liquid into a storage jar. Once dry, it will look like commercial lip balm. Apply it daily.
17. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth helps exfoliate the dead skin cells and opens the pores. Take fuller’s earth and mix it with honey. Mix them in a bowl to make a paste. Apply this paste on your pout and massage for 2-3 minutes. Let it dry for 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water. Use this remedy regularly.
- Alternatively, mix fuller’s earth with rosewater and apply on the lips.
18. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is a great source of vitamin E and easily available at everyone’s home. Apply mustard oil in your navel. This helps make your lips pinkish. Use this remedy daily for the best results.
- Or else, mix mustard oil with coconut oil. Apply this with the help of a cotton ball. Massage for 2-3 minutes.
Take a potato and extract its juice. Apply it on your lips to reduce the blackness.
20. Ice Cubes
Rub ice cubes on your lips. It will heal the chapped lips by keeping them hydrated.
Glycerin is one of the best remedies to restore the natural color of the lips. Apply 2-3 drops of it on your lips, regularly.
22. Orange Peel
Rubbing the orange peel on your lips will make them not only soft but also pink.
Butter acts as a natural moisturizer for your lips. So, apply it every day.
Take equal quantities of papaya and pineapple pulp. Combine it and rub on your lips.
25. Curd and Saffron
Take some curd and add a few strands of saffron to it. Let it stay for 12-15 minutes. Then, apply it gently on the lips.
Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of Black Lips
26. Aloe Vera
You can make a paste by mixing 1-2 raspberries with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1-2 teaspoons of aloe vera juice or gel. Gently massage your lips with this paste and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it off and apply Vaseline or petroleum jelly (You can also use homemade lip balm).
Use mint juice for massaging your lips. This recipe works wonders if used with rosewater. Massage daily for the natural cure of black lips.
Heat milk (1 liter) in a pot and tie the pot’s mouth with a clean cloth. Cut nutmeg (50 grams) into pieces and place it on the clean cloth. Bring milk to a boil. Simmer for 10 -15 minutes until the milk vapor is absorbed by the nutmeg. Remove the nutmeg pieces and let them dry. Grind nutmeg and turmeric root (50 grams) into a powder and combine. Add cow’s ghee to make a paste. Store it in an airtight container. Apply to the affected area. Repeat until results are visible.
29. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil gives natural color to your lips. Apply a few drops of it on the daily basis.
Rub coriander leaves or apply coriander juice on the lips. Leave it on for the whole night. You will observe the difference in the morning. It is an effective home remedy for the black lips resulted due to smoking.
- Use a sunscreen-based lip balm with good SPF before going out. This prevents your lips from harmful UV rays.
- Eat healthy diet. Include green veggies and fruits in your food.
- Use natural products on your lips.
- Remove makeup before sleep.
- Give up smoking as it plays a big role in making your lips dark, besides eroding your health.
- Cut down intake of coffee and tea.
- Don’t suck your lips.
- Don’t use chemical-laden cosmetics.