Overly enlarged pores, pimples, and blackheads – are you suffering from any of these skin problems? If your answer is yes then you stand a chance of having oily skin that precipitates frequently or might have a combination skin type that ranges from dry to normal in some parts while oily on other parts like T-zones (forehead, nose and chin). Although production of oil from skin is a natural process, but secretion of excessive sebum from sebaceous glands leads to acne. This can be due to genetic factors, hormonal changes, stress, puberty, ultraviolet radiation effect, overexposure to heat, long hot baths and showers, seasonal changes, prolonged medication (birth control, pregnancy, or hormonal control pills), some ingredients in soaps, and over usage of skin care products. Read on and find out the possible home remedies to get rid of oily skin.
Home Remedies for Oily Skin
1. Egg White
Whip one egg white and apply it all over your face. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Alternatively, mix juice of half lemon into 1 egg white and whisk it thoroughly. Apply it over your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes, then wash off with warm water.
- Instead, mix 1 tbsp each of honey and oatmeal with one egg white and make a smooth paste. Apply this onto your face. Moreover, gram flour can be added instead of oatmeal.
- Besides, combine egg white, lemon juice and grape juice extract and apply it all over your face and neck. This mask tightens the skin and works as a natural cleanser to help you get rid of excess oil.
Note: Regular intake of raw egg white can aggravate the problem of oily skin, as it binds biotin strongly. Hence, its external application is very useful.
2. Lemon Juice
Mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with 2 tbsp of distilled water and apply it over your face. Leave it on your face for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice, ½ tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of milk. Apply this paste over your face for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Repeat this procedure for 1 week to witness positive results.
The lactic acid content in yogurt helps exfoliate the skin, and thus, removes excess oil from the face. Apply one tbsp of yogurt over your face and leave it for some time until it dries out completely, then rinse off with cold water. This must be done once daily for flawless skin.
- Alternatively, blend 1 tbsp each of yogurt and honey; add some ground oatmeal. Spread it over your face, leave it for 5-10 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Moreover, you can also apply fresh buttermilk over your face to treat oily skin.
Cut a tomato into half and rub it over your facial skin in circular motion. Rinse off with cold water after 15 minutes. Do it once daily for a few days until results become apparent.
- Alternatively, mash some tomato and avocado; and apply this mixture over your face. Allow it to dry and then wash off after 15 minutes. This helps in closing pores and gives a smooth shine to the face.
Apply the shreds of grated apple over your face. Let them stay there for about 15 minutes and then wash off with tepid water.
- Alternatively, mix grated apple (or apple juice) with some yogurt and lemon juice. Spread it over your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash off with cool water.
- Alternatively, mash one apple, ½ cup of cooked oatmeal, 1 beaten egg white. Blend them together and spread it on your face. Keep it for 20 minutes and then wash off. The alpha hydroxyl acid present in apple tones up the skin.
Cut cucumber slices and rub them over your face before going to bed. Leave it overnight and then wash your face with warm water in the morning. This is a natural home remedy for oily skin.
- Alternatively, mix juice of half cucumber and ½ lemon and apply it over your face for few days. This is a very effective remedy to treat oily skin. This even aids in diminishing freckles and dark tone of skin.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and ¾ cup of water; then apply it over your face. The alpha hydroxyl acid present in ACV helps moisturize the skin and is one of the best remedy for oily skin.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water and drink it daily before going to bed. This remedy helps balance the hormones in body and lessen oiliness of skin.
Mix 2-3 drops of lavender or sandalwood oil in ½ cup of milk and apply the mixture over your face. Massage this mixture for 2-3 minutes and then go sleep. Wash this off with warm water in morning. This must be practiced daily to get rid of oily skin.
- Alternatively, you can even apply raw milk over your face and wash it off with warm water after it dries. This is a very effective remedy that treats oily skin.
Apply some honey on your face and keep it there for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water. The exfoliating nature of honey reduces excess oil off the face. Besides, it opens up the pores and prevents wrinkles.
- Alternatively, mix some ground almonds with honey and gently massage this paste over your oily skin. Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then wash off your face with warm water. This is very useful home remedy for oily skin and must be practiced at least once a week for best results.
10. Clay Mask
Take 1 tbsp of facial clay (bentonite) and add 2 tbsp of witch hazel, 2 drops each of cypress oil and lemon oil for fragrance. Mix all the ingredients properly. Leave the mask for 10 minutes or until it dries. Then, wash off with cold water. This is extremely helpful in putting oil off the face.
11. Mango Mask
Massage your skin for 5 minutes using the mango pulp. Wash off with warm water when it dries. This provides cooling effect on the oily skin.
12. Healthy Diet
Lightly cooked vegetables that contain less oil and spices go a long way in maintaining healthy skin.
13. Orange Peel
Collect some dry orange peel and add some raw milk to it. Make a smooth paste and apply it over face and neck. Let it stay for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with cold water. This is one of the best home remedy for oily skin.
Include physical activities in your daily routine as this helps increasing the blood circulation; thus, makes you sweat which opens up the clogged pores. Clean up the excess sweat that comes up. Besides, the sweat will wash away the dirt.
- Alternatively, do 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily to improve blood circulation.
15. Sea Salt
Mix one teaspoon of sea salt with water to form a smooth paste and apply it over your face and neck. Wash off with warm water after 5-10 minutes.
Note: This remedy must be done once a week only as this causes excessive drying of skin.
16. Baking Soda
Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda in 2-3 tbsp of water to make a fine paste. Apply this paste over your facial skin and wash it off when it dries. It’s anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties helps treat the oily skin.
Mix ground coffee with some honey and use this mixture to scrub your face. Wash it off with warm water after it dries. This delicious smelling scrub is a very good exfoliant that is best for oily skin.
18. Coconut Milk
Apply coconut milk directly over face and neck. This works in same way as milk removes extra dirt and grime, in order to provide soften the skin.
Boil some water in a container for 2 minutes and remove it from heat. In order to provide steam to your face and neck area, cover your head with a towel. Wipe off the extra dirt from your face after steaming. This remedy makes your skin clear and soft.
20. Gram Flour
Add some rose water to gram flour and apply this paste over your skin. Wash it off with warm water when it dries. This is very effective remedy in getting rid of oily skin.
Note: Moisturize your skin after applying this remedy.
Make a paste of papaya and use it to scrub your face.
- Alternatively, mix some ground oatmeal along with meshed papaya and scrub your face with it for 2-3 minutes. This acts as a natural exfoliant that removes extra dirt from face; hence, makes your skin healthy and glowing.
22. Ice Cube
Wrap an ice cube in a thin cotton cloth and rub it over your face to get rid of oily skin. Use this remedy before makeup so that it stays for longer.
23. Fuller’s Earth
Make a fine paste by mixing ground fuller’s earth with rose water. Apply it over your face. Normal water can also be used in absence of rose water.
- Alternatively, combine egg white, fuller’s earth and yogurt. Apply it as a facial mask and keep it for 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and apply some moisturizer. This home remedy will effectively lessen oil from the skin.
Take some cornstarch and mix it with water to make a fine paste. Rub this over your facial skin and wash off after 10 minutes. This remedy helps get rid of oily patches over skin; thus, adds up radiance.
Mash half banana and add some honey to make a fine paste. Keep it for 15 minutes and wash off afterwards. This acts as a natural moisturizer and is a perfect treatment for oily skin.
Herbal Remedies For Oily skin
26. Green Tea
Make an extra strong cup of green tea and allow it to cool. Soak a cotton ball in this solution and dab it over your face. Let it stay for 5-10 minutes, and then wash off with cold water. This is full of anti-oxidants and skin-purifying nutrients that eliminate extra oil from the skin.
27. Aloe Vera
Apply gel of fresh aloe vera leaf over your face and neck. Let it dry and then wash off with water. This is extremely effective remedy for treating oily skin.
- Alternatively, boil the aloe vera leaf in some water and then grind it along with one tbsp of honey. Apply this mixture evenly on the face and neck. When it dries wash off with cold water. If done regularly, this remedy makes skin oil free.
- Instead, mix 2 tbsp of oatmeal with 4 tbsp of aloe vera gel. Combine properly to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste over your facial skin and scrub it off vigorously. This helps remove extra oil, dirt and grime from face; thus, adds up softness of facial skin.
28. Yarrow, Sage and Peppermint
Soak cotton in distilled herbs or their extracts, and apply it over your face as toner. You may wash your face with water after 10-15 minutes, in case required.
29. Witch Hazel
Soak a cotton ball in distilled witch hazel, and apply it all over your face and neck twice daily for 2-3 weeks. After three weeks, apply it only once. The tannins present in the witch hazel have astringent effects which tighten up the skin pores.
- Instead, grind one tablespoon of dry oats and moisten it with three tablespoon of witch hazel extract to form a smooth paste. Massage it over your face in circular motion for about 5-10 minutes. Later, wash your face with warm water. This helps open up the clogged pores.
Boil 1 tbsp of hyssop in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes. Let it cool and then apply with the help of cotton ball. You may wash off your face with warm water after 15 minutes, if required.
31. Herbal Mask
Boil one apple; mash it to form a paste. Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of lavender, sage or peppermint oil. Whisk the mixture properly and apply it over your face. Keep it for 5 minutes and then wash off with warm water. This is one of the best home remedy to prevent the excessive production of oil over facial skin.
32. Tea Tree Oil Toner
Mix 2 tbsp of tea tree oil in 2 tbsp of water and apply it over your skin.
- Alternatively, you can mix this herbal oil with your favorite toner and apply it over your face. You may wash this after 15-20 minutes, if required. This is very effective home remedy for oily skin.
33. Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil
Apply sea buckthorn oil directly on face. Alternatively, mix equal quantity of oil and water; and apply it over your face.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water before you hit the hay.
- If you have acne along with oily skin, choose a soap that contains benzyl peroxide salicylic acid or triclosan.
- Make use of liquid face wash that contain alpha hydroxyl acids like glycolic acid, citric acid and lactic acids. These help combat skin infections, removal of dead skin cells and reduction of oil in the pores.
- Make use of mild soaps and cleansers.
- Use a water based moisturizer after bathing.
- Stay hydrated, drink at least 10 glasses of water every day; and utilize humidifier / air conditioner in warm / dry weather.
- Wear gloves while working with detergents.
- Bathe when you perspire heavily.
- Check labels of medicated ointment and cosmetic. You must use them if they are named as ‘non-comedogenic’.
- Wear a non-oily sunscreen lotion while going out in noon.
- Remove makeup before going to bed. Switch to oil free / water based makeup; or avoid using makeup for few days.
- Never leave skin dry; always use moisturizer after washing your skin.
- Opt for foods rich in high fiber content as they help retain more water in the body; and hence, provide necessary moisture.
- In case of excessive oil, clean your face with blotting paper.
- Use loose translucent powder instead of pressed powder as that contains oil.
- Pin up your hairs, since they may add up extra oil to your skin.
- Wash your pillow covers regularly to avoid any kind of infection.
- Protect your skin against UV rays of sun.
- Include vitamin B (biotin) in your diet.
- Avoid scrubbing after or during bath. This may aggravate sebaceous glands.
- Stay away from too many skin care products. Avoid over cleansing, over exfoliating or over scrubbing your skin, as this may damage the skin cells and causing them to secrete more oil in order to compensate.
- Never prick or squeeze pimples.
- Refrain from fried, fatty, oily and high in carbohydrate foodstuff.
- Avoid tea and coffee intake or reduce it to minimum, as they dehydrate the body; thus, reverse the body’s process to secrete more oil to maintain the equilibrium.
- Shun carbonated drinks which are high in sugar content.
- Don’t stay stressed and take proper rest as increase in stress levels leads to generation of excess oil which may lead to clogging of pores.
- Alcohol based make up products must be avoided as they may cause excessive dryness.
- Do not experiment a newly launched skin care products all over the skin.
- Avoid using too many exfoliants and toners over your skin.
- Quit smoking, if you do.