Are you experiencing foul-smelling, extreme vaginal discharge along with the fatigue? Is it accompanied with severe pain and irritation in the cervical area? If you said yes worriedly, then you might be suffering from the excessive vaginal discharge problem or leucorrhoea. The uncontrollable vaginal discharge can be caused due to hormonal imbalance, bad or inappropriate eating habits, abundance of toxins in your body, wounds resulting due to itching, unhygienic lifestyle conditions, anemia, diabetes, and infections that may occur due to sanitary pads, colored toilet paper, bubble bath, etc. (1). You may also feel an increase in discharge during pregnancy (2).
The common symptoms of leucorrhoea are foamy, white or yellow discharge with an unpleasant vaginal smell, intense pain, redness, and irritation in the cervical area, constipation, irritability, headache, indigestion, pain in the abdomen, dark patches under the eyes, and fatigue (3). However, you can get rid of smelly vaginal discharge by following some simple home remedies. Scroll down to learn more.
Home Remedies for Excessive Vaginal Discharge
Banana has enormous health and beauty benefits. The high fiber content of this fruit helps you get rid of leucorrhoea. Eating one ripe banana or over-ripe banana is an excellent natural home remedy to curb the extreme vaginal discharge (4).
- Alternatively, you can take one ripe banana, add a little clarified-butter to it, and eat it twice every day for positive results.
2. Okra or Lady’s Finger
Lady’s finger or okra is a highly effective natural treatment to cure the problem of undesired vaginal discharge. It is mucilaginous in nature and possesses antihyperlipidemic, anti-fatigue and antidiabetic properties (5). Thus, it helps remove mucous from your system.
Take 100 grams of okra in a container. Add one litre of water to it, and boil it for about 15 to 20 minutes to prepare a remedial infusion. Allow it to cool down. Add some sugar to sweeten the drink, and have it every day as frequently as you can to get rid of the milky vaginal discharge.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are a great cure for leucorrhoea (6). Simply, add 2 tsp of these seeds to four cups of water. Simmer it over moderate flame for about half an hour, strain it, and use it as a natural douche.
- Alternatively, you can make a tea by using fenugreek seeds. Boil some of them in a water container, strain it, and drink the medicinal tea regularly to stop the unwanted vaginal discharge.
- Or, soak a tsp of these seeds in water overnight. Strain the water next morning and add half a tsp of honey to it. Drink this water on an empty stomach to see the results.
- Apart from that, you can also prepare a solution of seeds with turmeric powder. Have it regularly to treat the vaginal problems such as leucorrhoea, post menstrual foul odor or vaginitis.
Mango is an effective fruit to cure leucorrhoea as many parts of it can be used for the purpose. The properties like antihyperlipidemic and antidiabetic along with the presence of several nutrients are useful to cure various health ailments (7). Its seeds ensure a normal vaginal discharge.
All you need to do is, grind dry mango seeds to make a powder, add a small amount of water to it, and prepare a fine paste. Apply this paste inside and outside your affected vaginal tract to stop the white discharge.
Yogurt is a wonder food and a natural cure to curb vaginal discharge during pregnancy. It contains high amounts of good bacteria that regulate internal infections, cure the problem of uncontrollable discharge, and help you enjoy a healthy pregnancy. Also, it promotes a smooth digestion. Eat some yogurt daily to keep such infections at bay (8).
- Alternatively, apply yogurt around the vaginal area to treat the infections. Wash it off with water after a few minutes.
6. Rice Water
Rice water is a rich source of starch. It also has demulcent properties which are helpful to treat inflammation and itching caused by leucorrhoea.
Wash the rice, strain the water, add a dash of honey for sweetening it, and drink it regularly to get rid of weakness, itchiness, and other symptoms that accompany the excess of vaginal discharge.
- Another option is to use this rice water as a douche. It will soothe the irritation in the genital area.
- Alternatively, you can make a mixture of Ipomoea Sepiaria root with rice water and take 1 teaspoon of it to get rid of this problem (9).
Take a lot of fresh cranberries, extract juice out of them, and drink it at least thrice daily to prevent the discharge from your vagina.
8. Stay Hydrated
Drinking plenty of water or any other healthy liquid is another natural effective home remedy to get rid of the symptoms of leucorrhoea (11). Adequate intake of water helps regulate the vaginal infections and eliminate them. Make sure you drink at least eight to ten glasses of water daily.
9. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds have the antimicrobial property that controls and cures the vaginal infection (12). Take one or two tablespoons of cumin seeds, grind them well, mix the ground seeds with a dash of honey, and apply the paste to your vaginal area to cure the infections and curb vaginal discharge.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare a healthy decoction of cumin seeds and use it to cure leucorrhoea.
Alum is nothing but sulfate of aluminum that you generally use to purify the water. However, alum is a traditional remedy to regulate bleeding and bacterial infections. It possesses astringent and antiseptic properties that restrict the growth of bacteria. Mix half a teaspoon of alum powder in water and use it for washing your vagina.
- Alternatively, get an alum stick, soak it in the water, and rub it on your vaginal opening gently once or twice daily (13).
The antibacterial properties of garlic are highly effective in eliminating the harmful bacterial infection that causes the excess of vaginal discharge. Also, powerful antifungal properties of garlic help you get rid of fungal infections substantially (14).
Consume one or two raw garlic cloves along with a glass of water the first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Also, you can also add garlic to your regular cooking.
- Alternatively, you can crush a few garlic cloves and prepare a fine paste. Apply this paste on your affected vaginal area and let it stand for ten minutes. Later, wash it using regular water.
- Another option is to use garlic with turmeric. You can consume this mixture internally to get relief from the symptoms of leucorrhoea.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the effective home remedies for curing vaginal infections as it combats against yeast infection (15). Its antimicrobial and antifungal properties help you get rid of the vaginal infection (16). Also, apple cider vinegar balances your pH levels.
Fill your bathtub with water and add three cups of apple cider vinegar to it. Sit in the water for about 20 minutes. This will help cure leucorrhoea effectively. Follow this for four to five times in a week.
- Alternatively, mix eight ounces of water and one ounce of apple cider vinegar and drink it every day to prevent the growth of vaginal infection causing bacteria in your body.
- Also, you can dilute apple cider vinegar with water and rinse your vagina gently with it.
Note: The use of ACV as a douche is not scientifically proven.
13. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps treat imbalanced pH levels, eliminate the foul smell of vaginal discharge, and treat leucorrhoea effectively. Add one or two teaspoons of baking soda to your glass of water, mix it well, and drink it daily.
- Alternatively, add half a cup of baking soda to your bathtub filled with warm water and sit in it for 20 minutes. This remedy helps eliminate the vaginal infection, discharge, and odor instantly (17).
Ginger is known for its numerous medicinal benefits that help cure a range of health disorders, including the problem of unwanted discharge from the vaginal area.
Get two teaspoons of dry ginger powder, add it to 250 ml of water, and boil it till the water is reduced to half. Drink this medicinal decoction for three weeks and you will get good relief from leucorrhoea (18).
Take one tablespoon of turmeric powder, grind some garlic, mix turmeric powder with ground garlic to make a paste. Eat it regularly. This remedy is highly effective in curing heavy white vaginal discharge accompanied with itchiness.
Herbal Remedies for the Excessive Vaginal Discharge
16. White Dead Nettle
The use of White Dead-Nettle or Lamium Album is a traditional remedy to treat the abnormal discharge from the vagina (21). The flowering tops of this herb possess antispasmodic, expectorant, resolvent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, astringent, tonic, diuretic, vasoconstrictor, and styptic properties which are highly beneficial in curbing the vaginal discharge effectively.
Take some flowering tops of White Nettle, prepare the infusion, and use it to treat vaginal discharge problems.
- Alternatively, you can use fresh flowering tops to prepare an external compress and apply it to your vaginal area to get the noticeable results.
17. Green Tea
Drinking one or two cups of green tea daily helps you treat this problem effectively. It has antioxidant and immune effects (22). You can add a dash of honey to the green tea to sweeten it if you can’t drink the unsweetened version.
- Also, you can add blackberry leaves to your green tea.
18. Tea Tree Oil
This oil is quite effective in preventing the discharge (23). The antiseptic properties of tea tree oil aids in getting rid of bacterial infections quickly and effectively.
Add five drops of tea tree oil to your bathtub filled with warm water, sit in it for half an hour, and wash with plain water later. Follow this twice a day.
- Alternatively, add a couple of drops of this oil to water and rinse your vagina with the solution. Follow this remedy two to four times every day.
Note: Always use the diluted tea tree oil as concentrated version can be harmful to your skin and health.
19. Smilax China Powder
20. Indian Gooseberry
Indian Gooseberry is a natural cure for leucorrhoea (25). Just have a freshly extracted powder of Indian Gooseberry, add a dash of honey to it. Transfer this paste to a glass of water, and drink it regularly.
- Alternatively, you can add Indian Gooseberry powder and honey to your milk and drink it.
- Also, you can apply the paste of Indian Gooseberry powder to your vaginal tract for positive results.
21. Walnut Leaves
The astringent and antifungal properties of walnut leaves are highly beneficial in healing various infections, including vaginal infections (26). Prepare an infusion by steeping the fresh leaves of walnut in water, boil them for about 20 minutes, strain them, and use it as a douche on your vaginal area thrice daily for quick and positive results.
22. Guava Leaves
The usage of guava leaves can be proved to be an effective herbal remedy to treat leucorrhoea (27). Steep fresh guava leaves in water, simmer it for half an hour, strain it, and use it twice every day as a natural douche on your vaginal area till the pain, irritation, and severity of the discharge is decreased.
Asparagus is another solution to stop vaginal discharge naturally yet effectively. Mix withania somnifera and asparagus, boil it for some time, let it cool down, and drink it to find relief from the irritation due to the excess of vaginal discharge (28).
24. Banyan and Fig
The bark of banyan tree has anti-inflammatory, astringent, and antiseptic properties, thus, it is quite helpful to heal leucorrhoea and related problems (29). A concoction prepared by using the bark of fig and banyan trees acts as a natural douche for your vaginal tract and cures the problem of uncontrollable discharge from it.
Boil one tablespoon both of the powder of bark of fig tree and banyan tree’s bark in one liter of water till the water reduces to half. Let it get to the lukewarm temperature. Using this remedial solution for douching will help you maintain your vaginal area healthy and free from any infection.
25. Amaranth Root
The antibacterial properties of Amaranth root help treat several infections, including vaginal infections, effectively (30). Natural compounds in this herb promote healing of your reproductive organs substantially and cure the problem of brownish vaginal discharge effectively. Grind fresh, healthy amaranth root, add a little water to it and drink the medicinal solution twice every day for the desired results.
- Also, you can add fresh amaranth leaves and branches to the boiling water and use it to cure leucorrhoea effectively.
Antioxidant, diuretic, astringent, and antiseptic properties of saffron are highly effective in treating the problem of white vaginal discharge (31). Also, it boosts your immunity and promotes quick recovery.
Boil one teaspoon of saffron in a quarter cup of water till one tablespoon of water remains, mix one-third portion of the solution in the equal quantity of water, and drink it three times a day to obtain positive outcomes.
27. Pomegranate Leaves
Pomegranate is highly beneficial when you eat it as a fruit, but its leaves also offer medicinal benefits. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anticarcinogenic properties that are quite beneficial in the treatment of leucorrhoea (32,33).
Collect 30 fresh leaves of pomegranate, wash them thoroughly, add ten peppercorns to them. Grind them to a fine paste. Add this remedial paste to half a glass of drinking water, strain it, and drink the liquid every morning for three weeks.
28. Indian Lilac
Indian Lilac, also known as Azadirachta Indica, is highly effective in treating this problem. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antihyperglycemic, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties (34). Thus, it helps minimize itching, combat vaginal infection, and get rid of discomforts that you may suffer due to leucorrhoea.
Take a handful of fresh Indian Lilac leaves, boil them in water. Strain it and let it cool. Rinse the affected vaginal area with the cooled solution for some weeks.
- Alternatively, dry roast some fresh Indian Lilac leaves using a pan, let them cool, crush them, and make a fine powder. Add some water to two teaspoons of this medicinal powder, mix it properly to make a paste. Apply this remedial paste on the affected vaginal area twice every day for some days to obtain relief.
Basil offers incredible medicinal benefits and cures various health conditions, including leucorrhoea (35). Mix the freshly extracted juice of basil leaves with the equal portions of honey and have it in the morning daily for about two weeks.
- Alternatively, mix half a teaspoon of cumin powder and one teaspoon of fresh basil juice and have it with a glass of cow’s milk for three weeks. You can add crystallized sugar to it.
Coriander is one of the common home remedies to keep a check on the vaginal discharge (36). Soak 10 grams of coriander seeds in 100 ml of water overnight. Strain it in the morning and drink this water on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy for one week and experience positive results.
- Or, soak a few coriander leaves in a bowl of water overnight. In the morning, strain the water. Consume it before having anything else in the morning.
31. Betel Leaf
Betel leaf is traditionally popular as a miraculous home remedy for certain health issues such as a headache, leucorrhoea, conjunctivitis, rheumatism, constipation and much more (37).
To cure this problem, boil a betel leaf in one glass of water for 5 minutes, strain it and drink it twice or thrice every day. Repeat the same process for 2 or 3 days in order to do away with vaginal discharge and related problems.
- Do fasting as it unclogs lymph, promotes deep cleansing, and detoxification. Fast by drinking only water.
- Follow good hygiene practices, particularly for genital areas to prevent the risk of bacterial infections.
- Follow hydrotherapy or hip bath.
- Have adequate sleep and rest.
- Use aromatherapy. Go for aromatic essential oils such as rosemary, sandalwood, and oregano oil.
- Exercise daily to boost your immunity, improve the blood circulation, and eliminate bacterial attacks.
- Consult your doctor before trying any of the remedies especially if you are pregnant.
- Don’t eat fried and spicy food preparations.
- Avoid consuming food prepared by using white flour.
- Restrain yourself from tea, alcohol, coffee, and other condiments that can aggravate the vaginal discharge.
- Don’t eat food products made by white sugar.
- Ignore eating canned or tinned foods.
- Don’t wear synthetic, tight or dirty undergarments.
- Avoid using sprays and chemical products as they may aggravate the problem.
Did you follow any of these home remedies to stop the excess of vaginal discharge? Which home remedies worked the best for you? Share your experience and knowledge with us by leaving a comment below.