Everyone desires for a soft, smooth, and even skin tone but, it is not something that can be achieved easily. Some parts of the body like knees and elbows are more prone to becoming dark. It is caused due to the friction or pressure and lost moisture which makes the skin area harder and darker. Among all the beauty related issues, it comes as one of the most common problems. Well, you don’t need to waste your time and money in lavish saloons to get rid of your dark elbows and knees fast. They can easily be treated using some of the simple home remedies. By using these, you will be able to roam around wearing your favorite sleeveless shirt or the mini skirt you have avoided to flaunt lately.
Lemon is a strong anti-oxidant, bleaching agent and helps regenerate of new skin cells (1). To lighten dark elbow and knees take lemon cut it in two halves and rub it on elbows and knees while squeezing. After applying, leave it for about 20 minutes and wash it with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can apply a mixture of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey, and wash it with water after 20 minutes.
- You can also try lemon and gram flour paste. Mix both of these ingredients until they form a paste-like consistency, and rub it on the skin. Let the paste dry and wash it with water.
Note: Avoid direct sun exposure for 3 hours after applying lemon on the skin.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is well known for its positive effects on the skin. Rich in vitamin E, coconut oil gives you with an even skin tone (2). It not only helps lighten the darker area of skin but also repairs the damaged and burned skin. After taking a bath, massage elbows and knees with coconut oil for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat the procedure several times a day.
- You can also mix one teaspoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of lemon juice and apply it for 20 minutes every day.
- Another way to use coconut oil is by adding the walnut powder in the coconut oil, and applying it on the dark patches 3-4 times a week.
Yogurt is a great skin lightening agent. It cleanses and moisturizes the skin and helps lighten the skin color as well (3). To use this remedy, mix one teaspoon of white vinegar and yogurt each, and apply it on the dark area. After it dries, wash it with lukewarm water, and apply a moisturizer on it.
- You can also apply a paste of gram flour and yogurt for 20 minutes every day. To prepare the paste, mix 2 teaspoons of gram flour and 1 teaspoon of yogurt together, and remove it by massaging with wet fingers. Repeat the process thrice a week.
- Another way to use yogurt is to mix it with almond oil. Together, they will even the skin tone and moisturize it as well.
- Or, grind 8-10 almonds to get a coarse texture. Add 2 tbsp of yogurt to make a paste. Wet your fingertips and apply this paste to your elbows and knees. Rub in a circular motion gently. Leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off using water. Do it once or twice a week to get an even skin tone.
A scrub made of sugar can easily help you lighten the skin tone. It exfoliates the skin and soften the skin area of knees and elbows (4). To prepare this scrub at home, you only need two ingredients that are sugar and olive oil. Mix them in equal amounts to make a thick paste and using a small quantity of this mixture, gently massage your skin. After massaging for 5 minutes, wash it off with mild soap and water. Do it once daily and repeat as needed.
- Apart from that, It can also be used with lemon. Mix both of them in equal parts and rub it on the skin. Wash it with the help of a mild soap and water. Use it once or twice a week.
Note: You may get a sticky skin from the regular use of this remedy.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a boon for several skin conditions like acne and dark knees and elbows. Being rich in cleansing properties, it also helps treat the hyperpigmentation that is usually seen around the elbows and knees (5). Prepare a paste by adding baking soda and milk in equal quantities, and rub it on the affected areas for 2-3 minutes. Use lukewarm water to wash it off. Pat it dry properly. Do it every day to get the noticeable results. You will be astonished to see the miraculous effect of this remedy on your skin.
This is another wonderful home remedy that you should try. This combination can never go wrong as turmeric is a good antiseptic, milk is a natural bleaching agent, and honey is a moisturizer (6) (7). Mix all of these together, and apply it on the darker area. After leaving for twenty minutes, wet your fingers and gently rub for 2-3 minutes. Use this paste on a regular basis.
- Or, mix turmeric powder and milk cream together to form a paste. Massage for 2-3 minutes, and leave it to dry for 20 minutes. Scrub the skin gently while washing off the paste. Repeat it on a regular basis.
8. Cocoa and Shea Butter
One of the reasons of a dark elbow and knees is dry skin which can be easily treated with the help of these amazing moisturizers. Cocoa and Shea butter are natural fats, which keep the skin soft and healthy (8) (9). Apply them before going to bed every night.
9. Bleaching Fruits
Citrus properties in some fruits make them a good natural bleaching agent. Juices of fruits like lemon, orange, strawberries, and tomato can be applied to the darker area every day to lighten them. You can also drink juices of these fruits to have a speedy effect.
Considered as one of the oldest methods to treat the skin darkening, milk is another good remedy to cleanse the skin (10). Though it is a slow process, its lactic acid properties clear away the pigmentation and dead skin cells. Dip a cotton ball in milk and apply it on the elbow and knees regularly.
Potatoes are used by the majority of people to lighten dark hands and feet because of their strong bleaching effects. Cook a potato and mash it. Mix it with yogurt, and apply the prepared paste on elbows and knees. Wash them with the help of water after 20 minutes. Repeat the process every day.
- Alternatively, you can also rub the raw potato on the affected skin to lighten its tone.
12. Buttermilk, Oatmeal, and Almonds
These three ingredients can be the key to your flawless even tone skin. While buttermilk has skin exfoliating, bleaching, and skin lightening effects. Almonds and oatmeal help deter the dead skin cells (11). To make the paste, first grind oatmeal and almonds together, and then mix it in buttermilk. Massage it on knees and elbow and leave it for 20 minutes. Repeat the process 2-3 times a week.
13. Chickpea Flour
In a bowl, mix 2 heaps of chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, 2 tablespoon milk, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Apply this paste and then wash it after 20 minutes. Apply rose water on the washed area and repeat the process twice a week.
14. Onion and Garlic
Everybody knows the health benefits that onion and garlic provide us with. But, they can be used to minimize the darkening of elbows and knees. This remedy includes many ingredients which together will help to rejuvenate and clean the skin. Take one onion and one clove of garlic and chop them. Apply them on knees and elbows for 15 minutes. Wash it with water and then apply a mixed solution of glycerin, lemon juice, and rosewater. Repeat the process often.
15. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is rich in linoleic, erucic, and oleic acids that are helpful in keeping the elbow and knees clean and moist (12). Apply mustard oil on the dark area after bathing. After 2-3 hours wash the mustard oil from the skin with warm water.
16. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil helps treat the majority of skin diseases (13) and also brightens the blackened skin. All you have to do is massage vitamin E oil on elbow and knees daily, and you will see great changes in your skin tone.
- You can also add sugar in vitamin E oil. After it dissolves a little bit, apply it on the elbow and knees and massage for 10 minutes. Leave it overnight and use lukewarm water to wash it off in the morning.
17. Olive Oil
Olive oil is another good home remedy to clean dark elbows and knees. It not only cleanses the skin but also softens it. To use olive oil, warm it a little bit and massage on the skin for 2-3 minutes before sleeping. Follow the same procedure twice a week.
- Another option is to mix a tbsp of olive oil with two tbsp of lemon juice and half a cup sea or table salt. Use this paste to scrub your knees and elbows. Leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with soap and water. Use a moisturizer after patting dry as lemon juice tends to dry the skin. Do it once daily for a few days.
Vaseline has the speedy power to lighten the skin tone and making it baby soft. Wash the ashy knees with chickpea powder and water and after drying them, when they are soft and moist, apply Vaseline on it. Repeat the process of applying Vaseline every night before sleeping only.
Almonds can do natural exfoliation. Use powdered almonds and almond shell and mix them in fresh cream. Apply this prepared scrub on your skin on a daily routine, and you will notice that the skin is becoming light in color with every passing day.
20. Oatmeal Scrub
You can easily escape the costly scrubs that you have tried to lighten the skin of elbow and knees with your homemade oatmeal scrub, which is not just cheap but effective too. Grind some oats and mix the powder with fresh cream (you can also use honey and cold cream in place of fresh cream). Apply the paste on the skin and after two minutes, start massaging the area. Use your fingertips only to massage.
Extremely helpful in vanishing dark spots– apricot can provide you with early skin benefits. This remedy does not require any method, recipe or process, all you need is raw apricot. Cut it into pieces and place it on your knees. Now tie it on your elbows for half an hour approximately. Wash the particular area with water after that.
Glycerin is the agent used in many beauty products which help you maintain the moisture of your skin (14). Glycerin can be bought easily, and you just have to apply it on your skin before sleeping.
Note: It has a gluey texture so many of you might not like it, but it provides wonderful results.
23. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is the answer to your skin lightening question. Hydrogen peroxide will be easily available in your nearest pharmacy. On alternate days, dip a cotton ball in it, and apply on your darkened elbows and knees and you will be able to see surprising results in a week.
Along with having a lot of benefits for health and skin, tomatoes are another effective remedy in case of ashy knees and elbows. Mix 1 tbsp of fresh tomato juice, 1 tbsp of curd, and 2 tbsp of oatmeal together to form a paste like consistency and apply it on the skin. Massage for 5 minutes. Leave on for about 15-20 minutes and wash off the area using fresh water.
25. Borax Powder
This paste is a fool-proof remedy to treat your dark, patchy skin around elbows and knees. Mix about 3 tablespoons of borax powder and 2 tbsp of glycerin in 2 cups of rose water. Apply it with the help of cotton and wash it off after 20 minutes.
By now, we are aware of the benefits that honey and lemon provide us with, and using their scrub will help in removing the dead skin cells, that too, very easily. Take a teaspoon of lemon zest, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Mix them together and apply daily.
Cucumber can be seen as the best friend of our skin when it comes to lightening the dark areas. It has natural bleaching properties which make it one of the best remedies to be used for this purpose. Along with that, it removes the dead skin cells and keeps the skin well moisturized. You can rub a thick slice of cucumber on your knees and elbows for about 10 minutes. Wait for another 5 minutes. Then, wash it off using cold water.
- Or, take equal amounts of lemon juice and cucumber juice. Mix them with a pinch of turmeric powder. Dab it on the dark knees and elbows and leave it on for around 20 minutes. Wash it off with water. Do it daily to see noticeable results.
Papaya can also be helpful in treating dark areas of knees and elbows (15). All you need to do is slice a ripe papaya. Mash it to make a paste. Apply it to the affected areas. Leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with fresh water. Do it thrice a week to get the desired results.
Herbal Remedies for Dark Elbow and Knees
29. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera never disappoints our skin! It is an herbal skin cleanser and lightener which also reduce the damage caused to the skin by UV rays due to the exposure to the sun (16). To use aloe vera, extract its gel (you can also use the gel available in the market, but prefer to use the homemade one. Apply it on the skin. Let it rest for about 20 minutes and then wash it with warm water. For early results, apply it 2-3 times every day.
- Alternatively, you can use aloe vera mixed with honey for better results. Mix aloe vera and honey together in equal parts and apply it for 20 minutes at least, every day. Wash it with water.
Seldom people know the benefits of mint, it is high in antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which synthesize the white blood cells of the body (17). Take about half cup of water, boil it, and add few mint leaves in it. Squeeze juice of half lemon in it and let it cool for some time. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it on the area you need to cleanse. Apply it regularly.
Sandalwood powder has been used for its skin benefits (18). Mix turmeric powder and sandalwood powder with rosewater to make a paste. Apply it on your knees and elbows. Wash it off after a few minutes. Repeat it regularly until you see the results.
This medicinal plant of basil can also treat your dark elbows and knees. Make a paste of 2-3 drops of basil leaf extract and two spoons of milk with a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply it to the elbows and knees, and leave overnight. In the morning, wash it with lukewarm water.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Use exfoliating brush or loofah to lighten your dark elbows and knees. They will remove the dead skin leaving your body soft and smooth.
- A pumice stone can also be used for this purpose.
- Apply sunscreen lotions to your skin before going out in the sunlight. It will keep your skin moisturized and healthy along with a lightened skin color.
- Use moisturizer regularly to avoid dryness of the skin.
- Try to wear long-sleeved and full-length clothes when you are going out in high temperatures.
- Keep your skin nourished by following a healthy diet including essential minerals and vitamins.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day to keep the skin healthy and soft.
- Never scrub too hard that your skin gets damaged.
- Don’t exfoliate or scrub your knees or elbows if you have an open wound there. It may increase the risk of infection and worsen the condition.
- Avoid too much usage of chemical bleaching agents.
- Reduce putting the strain on knees and elbows as it may promote darkening of the skin.