Cold sores or fever blisters are painful, burning irritants that are caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus. They are typically seen on or around the mouth and take about 7 -10 days to heal. Fever blisters are contagious and generally caused by stress, lip injury, trauma to the skin, cosmetic surgery, hormonal changes, dental treatment, overexposure to sunlight, virus that can be easily spread through cuts or bruises on the skin, through indirect contact, like using a lip balm or sharing a towel / handkerchief, kissing, hugging or close contact with an infected person. If left unattended that can turn into to blood blisters in the mouth. As well as blood blisters, you may observe symptoms like swollen lips, fever, itchiness, pain and irritation, headache, and swelling of lymph nodes. Here are some wonderful home remedies to get rid of fever blisters.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fever Blisters
1. Whole Milk
Milk helps fight the fever blister virus and fasten the healing process. You may use it in either ways:
- Simply dip a cotton ball in cold whole milk and place it on your infected area for 10 minutes. Repeat the same process a couple of times every day until you see improvement.
- Alternatively, drink a glass of warm whole milk after adding 1 teaspoon of turmeric twice a day for the next 7 days.
Take a clean washcloth and wrap up a few ice cubes in it. Apply it on the area affected by the fever blister for 10 to 15 minutes. Carry out this process after every 3 hours. Apply a lemon balm ointment onto the area afterward.
3. Tea Bags
Take a cup of boiled water and soak a tea bag (black/green) for a minute. Remove and allow the tea bag to cool down. Press the teabag on your fever blister for a couple of minutes and repeat the same process for 5 to 6 times a day until you get rid of fever blisters.
Due to its antibacterial properties, garlic is considered best for healing the fever blister. Crush 2 to 3 garlic cloves to prepare a fine paste. Apply it on the affected area and let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat the same procedure thrice a day for 2 days.
White toothpaste helps treat the fever blisters efficiently. You may employ toothpaste in any of the following ways:
- Dab some white toothpaste on your blister and let it stand for a whole night. Later, clean it with a damp washcloth and apply some petroleum jelly.
- Mix together one-half tablespoon of salt and one teaspoon of white toothpaste. Use cotton to spread this paste on the affected area before going to bed. Next morning, wash it with lukewarm water and repeat the process every day.
Note – Avoid using gel or colored toothpastes.
Make a thick paste by combining 1 cup of yogurt, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Using a cotton ball, apply this paste on your blisters. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then clean it with lukewarm water. Do it once every day. Or else, you can also eat a cup of yogurt 2 to 3 times a day.
7. Vicks Vaporub
Apply some vicks vaporub on the affected area as soon as the blister starts appearing, in order to prevent the itchiness.
8. Vitamins E and C
Increase consumption of foodstuffs that are rich in vitamins E and C such as red berries, tomatoes, broccoli, red and green bell peppers, kiwi, leafy green vegetables, avocados, spinach, and whole grain. Alternatively, you may also apply a cotton swab dipped in Vitamin E oil to eliminate the scars caused by the blister.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apply apple cider vinegar directly on the blisters, or else mix it with some water and consume it. Alternatively, you can also apply white vinegar on your infected skin area using a cotton ball.
Apply Vaseline on the blister so that they remain soft and heal at a faster speed.
Apply some honey directly on the lips or tongue to get relieve from the pain. Besides, it also controls infection.
12. Grapefruit Seed
Add 2 to 3 drops of grapefruit seed extract and some aloe vera juice in a cup and dab it on the blister.
Take a raw onion, cut its small pieces and massage it on your fever blisters. It prevents blisters from getting worse.
14. Plum Juice
To get some relief from the pain caused by fever blisters, wash your mouth with some fresh plum juice. Instead, you can apply it on the infected skin with a cotton ball.
15. Reishi and Astragalus
Apply a mixture of astragalus and Reishi mushroom to cure the fever blisters. Moreover, you can also spread 600 mg of Reishi powder paste on the affected part.
16. Table Salt
Moist your fingers in water and rub a pinch of table salt on them. Now, press the blister with your fingers for a couple of minutes. Alternatively, soak a cotton ball in hot water, add some salt on it and apply it on the affected skin area two times a day for the next 3 days.
17. Baking Soda
Mix some baking soda in water to make a paste. Apply and leave it on for 5 minutes. Wash it off and perform this remedy once or twice a day.
Note – Wash your hands thoroughly after using this remedy.
Mix 1 gram of vitamin C, 1 gram of lysine and 1 gram of flavonoids and consume it 5 times a day. Alternatively, take 1,000-mg capsule of lysine thrice a day followed with a glass of juice.
Note: Consult a physician for its dosage, as high dosage of lysine may cause serious ailments.
19. Cornstarch Paste
Take a small bowl and place 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Add some fresh water to form a paste. Apply it on your blister before you hit the hay. Next morning, wash it off gently with water.
Take a cotton ball and soak it in alcohol. Now, dab it on the affected area. It will burn initially, but gives effective results.
21. Petroleum Jelly
Use petroleum jelly on fever blister as it prevents infection from spreading and keep the skin moist.
22. Hydrogen Peroxide
Apply hydrogen peroxide in either way:
- Immerse a cotton ball in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Apply it on the affected area and leave it for a couple of minutes. Later, wash with a wet washcloth and pat dry. Repeat the same process 3 to 4 times a day for 2 to 3 days.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 2 crushed aspirins to make a paste. Use a cotton ball to apply this prepared paste on the blister. After 2 to 3 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water. Do it once a day for not more than 2 days.
Herbal Remedies to Treat Fever Blisters
23. Tea Tree Oil
In order to heal the fever blister quickly, use this herbal oil. Mix one part of tea tree oil in three parts of water. Apply this solution to your blister with the help of a cotton ball thrice a day for next few days.
- Instead, combine tea tree oil and olive oil in equal amounts. Add some eucalyptus oil and apply it three times every day for 4 to 5 days.
Mix together 1 tablespoon of licorice root powder in 1/2 teaspoon of water to prepare a thick paste. Apply it onto the infected area with the help of a cotton swab. Leave it for a couple of hours and apply it 3 – 4 times a day to cure fever blister.
- Moreover, you can also consume supplements or licorice root tea to get quick relief.
Note – Do not use this remedy if you have high blood pressure.
25. Rhubarb and Sage Cream
Another effectual remedy for the treatment of fever blisters is the combination of rhubarb and sage cream.
Take a bag of Echinacea tea and place it in a mug. Add 1 cup of freshly boiled water over it. Cover and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Press the bag to extract the juice and apply it on your blister.
27. Lemon Balms
The antiviral properties of lemon balm helps prevent fever sore outbreaks. You can apply creams that contain lemon balm on the affected part.
- Alternatively, you can prepare tea from dried lemon balm or add its fresh leaves to smoothies and salads.
28. Aloe Vera
Extract some gel from an aloe vera leaf and apply it on your fever blister using your finger. When it becomes dry, wash with lukewarm water and clean it with a soft towel. Do it several times a day for about 3 to 4 days.
Dip a cotton pad in pure vanilla extract until it becomes completely saturated. Dab it on the infected area. Hold the cotton pad for about a minute. Do it 4 times a day.
30. White Tea
Since, white tea is loaded with antiviral properties; it helps deactivate the herpes virus. Hence, prevents cold sore outbreaks.
31. Witch Hazel
Grab a cotton pad and soak it in 1 teaspoon of witch hazel. Apply it directly onto the blister and leave it on. Perform the same procedure 1 to 2 times every day.
32. Sage Leaves
Take a handful of sage leaves and steep them in hot water. Strain the solution and consume it thrice a day.
- Alternatively, you can place soaked tea bags on the affected area for 15 minutes to increase the effectiveness of this remedy.
33. Peppermint Oil
First, wash the blister with some fresh water. Afterwards, soak a cotton ball in water and then dip it in the peppermint oil. Dab it on the affected area. Do it two times every day and continue until it is no longer needed.
- Change your toothbrush after your fever blister is completely gone.
- Exercise, perform yoga, meditate or try aromatherapy.
- Limit intake of salt, fats, and alcohol.
- Increase consumption of legumes, whole grain fiber, fruits, vegetables, and protein-rich food.
- Increase intake of foods rich in zinc.
- Apply sunscreen on your face.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Never touch the blister as it may spread to other body parts, such as chin or eyes.
- Avoid kissing or hugging, sharing toothbrushes, drinking cups, razors, towels, silverware, eating utensils or other items of an infected person.
- Avoid sun exposure.
- Stay away from spicy foods.
- Avoid intake of refined sugar, chocolate and nuts.
- Don’t consume food high in arginine like nuts, wheat, chocolate, etc.