Everybody desires to have an attractive body. To achieve that, we indulge in vigorous workouts and diets in order to get in shape. We start reducing weight and the tummy gets in shape within a few weeks. But the anger shoots up seeing the fat arms as they were, without an inch lost. How to get rid of the fat arms seems an unanswerable question at that point of time. The sleek sleeveless look that we girls always want is easily out of the sight, once you start putting on. Reducing fat from the arm is the toughest, but don’t get disappointed as it is not an impossible task. We first need to watch out for the causes for the bulging arms. Some of the reasons are a low level of testosterone (1), inadequate protein intake, and increased stress levels. If you too are depressed and not able to shed defiant arm fat, then you are at the right place. Here, we are providing you with some natural ways to reduce the arm fat at home.
Dancing is the easiest way of making the flabby arms skinny. The activity is enjoyable and rewarding too. When we perform arm specific exercises, we are overpowered by pain and boredom and don’t enjoy it. But during dancing, we let our body move in a free manner and go with the rhythm. Many stretching and exercises included in dancing reduce the arm fat. Along with that, the benefit of dancing is that it improves your general and psychological health (2).
2. Lifting Weights
If you are thinking how to lose arm fat fast, then lifting weights is the solution. It is a kind of muscle strengthening exercise (3). The arms put on fat as we do not lift anything heavy in our daily life, apart from groceries. Lifting weights is the most important exercise if you are sincerely trying to get your arms in shape. It tightens the saggy fat. Once the muscles become tight, the fat starts losing. It builds strength in our body. To obtain that shape, you need not purchase weights, just lift a heavy object, dumbbell, or a one-liter bottle. One of the many exercises to do is:
- Sit on a surface and hold that item with both of your hands and keep it high above the head.
- Slowly bring the weight down at the back.
- Lower to the extent that you can.
- Then move it up
- The arms will be benefited if you move the hands slowly.
- Practice 3 sets of 20 reps.
3. Triceps Kickbacks
This exercise is beneficial in getting rid of the fat and toning the arms. For this, you require weights of 1 kg in both the hands. It builds the strain in your arms that is essential for reducing those extras.
- Bend down on the knees.
- Stoop your upper body forward towards the ground.
- Make a right angle with your elbows.
- Next, stretch your arms in the backward direction straightening them.
- Repeat it 8-10 times and perform 3 sets every day.
Alternatively, you can also try one-hand triceps kickbacks (4) which would give you a similar effect.
Note: You can sit on your knees or stand with your knees bent, whatever is convenient to you.
4. Triceps Extensions
This exercise involves the use of weights which works wonders in toning the arms by building tension in them.
- Lie down on the floor on your back with knees bent.
- Hold weights in your hand and stretch them above your chest.
- Now, slowly make a right angle with your arms in such a way that the weights touch the floor.
- Then lift the hands to the initial position.
- Repeat this exercise 15-20 times.
Note: Don’t overstretch your wrist while extending toward the back (5). It may cause a sprain.
5. Chair Dips
Chair dips is a great way of reducing triceps (6). The exercise not only drives away the ugly fat from the arms but also strengthens our back muscles. To practice this, you need a chair or bed. Anything that is stable and at least 2 feet higher than the ground, will work for this exercise.
- Stand two steps away from the furniture.
- Rest your hands on it and keep your upper body straight. The arms should be shoulder width apart.
- Now move up and down with ease. Bend your knees while going down.
You will notice that all the pressure rests on your hand and hence would affect the arm fat directly.
6. Push Ups
Push-ups are one exercise that works in improving the strength of our body. It involves arm and knee strength. While the push-up basically works on the muscles of the chest, shoulders and arms, the support is required from other muscles which result in more of muscles integrated to the exercise. Here is how to perform it:
- Lie down on the floor resting on your stomach.
- Now keep your feet together and put your hands on the floor, rising above the ground with elbows straight.
- Then, move towards the floor bending the elbow.
- While coming down, ensure that the stomach does not come in contact with the ground. This puts pressure on the stomach muscles and helps reduce flabby stomach. Do 3 sets of 10 reps every day to get that perfect toning for your body.
7. One Arm Push Up
One-arm-push-up results in highest spine compression (8). This exercise is painful but delivers good results by reducing the arm fat real fast.
- Lie down on the floor with the stomach in contact with the ground.
- Put your left arm on the right shoulder, on a ball or at the back.
- Then keep your right palm flat on the floor.
- After attaining the position, lift the upper part of your body upwards until the right arm gets completely straight.
- Repeat the exercise fifteen times.
- Perform the same exercise by switching the side for effective results.
8. Counter push up
Push-up strengthens your arms, chest, and shoulders (9).
- Balance yourself on feet and place your hands on the edge of a table or a counter, which would not move by the application of force by your body.
- Bend your elbows and bring your toes near the object or wall.
- Move back from the counter, leaning the body while standing on the toes.
- Keep your back straight while you balance your body.
- Bend your elbows and lean towards the counter to touch it and then move back to the earlier posture.
- Repeat this 20 times. Do 3 sets of it every day.
Arm scissors is a kind of warm up (10). This exercise looks as if the scissor is being opened and closed. It is the best cardio exercise for arms.
- Stretch your arms to the side and bring them forward crossing each other.
- Open up your arms and repeat this exercise again with the left hand at the top of your right hand this time.
- Move your legs similar to the hands. Let them be apart when the hands are stretched at the side and cross them with the hands being crossed.
- Repeat this 10 times and do 3 sets daily.
10. Arm Circles
Arm-circles is counted as a stretching exercise that tones up the arms (11). This is yet another exercise that is recommended by almost everyone and is extremely popular for getting arms in shape.
- Stand in a way so that your feet are width apart.
- Stretch your hands straight at the sides.
- Then move them in a circular fashion fifty times clockwise.
- Then make 50 small circles anti-clockwise.
- To make it more effective, you can hold water bottles in your hand.
The movement in clockwise and reverse-direction tones our jiggly arms including the biceps, triceps, back muscles, and shoulders (12).
11. Triceps Dips
This is a powerful exercise for toning the arms. The exercise does not need any additional equipment; it can be easily performed by putting your hands on the ground. This workout tones the body and removes the excess fat. Sit on the floor in such a way that your hands and feet are joined.
- Keep your hands on the floor pointing towards the hips.
- Place the feet flat on the floor by bending your knees.
- Try to lift your hips upwards keeping the arms straight backward. This puts pressure on the arms.
- After that, bend your left elbow while lowering your hips as near to the floor as possible, without touching the ground.
- Now, straighten your left arm and bend the right elbow to repeat the same process.
Note: Keep your arms at an angle of 90 degrees so that you can get down, hold, and strengthen your body while keeping it straight (13).
12. Medicine Ball
This may sound like a new term to you, but it is quite common nowadays. A medicine ball is a heavy ball similar to basketball. It is used for upper body strength, muscle strength, and overall power for the body (14).
- Lie down on your back and lift your legs straight up in the air.
- Hold the medicine ball in your hand and stretch your hands starting from chest to the highest position that can be reached.
- Bring them back and repeat the process fifteen times.
13. Jump Rope
Skipping comes under weight-training exercises (15). This reminds us of the childhood days where this exercise used to be one of the favorite games for us. Skipping rope is great for keeping the body fit, and this exercise is advised by all the trainers. We reduce the weight by jumping continuously, and the hands are benefited as they rotate with each jump. It is beneficial for the overall body too.
Water makes approximately 70-75% of the muscles (). If you are fed up of fat arms, then opt for hydration. You need to incorporate a minimum of 8 to 12 glasses of water in your daily diet to get your arms and body in proper shape. Hydration eliminates the toxins from the body. Avoid packed sugary drinks or juices rich in calories and low in nutritional value, as they would worsen the situation and delay the process of losing the arm fat.
15. Resistance Bands
These bands are typically made for toning the arms (17). The center of the band is supposed to be kept under the feet (a width apart), and the corners are to be stretched by hand in the upward direction. This is the best exercise in order to reduce the arm fat. Alternatively, you can attach the center of the band to some support and pull the free end by both your hands stretching them out and in standing at a fixed position.
16. Airplane Extension
This exercise develops tension in the arms. It affects the stomach and leg muscles too. This kind of stretching increase the exercise performance and reduces the chance of any injury (18).
- Lie down on the ground with stomach touching the ground.
- Initially, stretch the arms sideways.
- Lift your arms chest and feet off the floor.
- Then stretch the arms upwards looking at the ceiling.
- Relax and start off with your initial position. Do this repetition 10 to 15 times.
17. Arm and Leg Lift
Arm and leg lift prevents rounded shoulders (19). This exercise offers the benefit of toning both the leg and arm muscles.
- Raise your body with the help of hands and legs.
- Hands should be in alignment with the shoulders and knees aligned with the hips.
- Lift your right hand and straighten it in the forward direction.
- At the same time, lift your left leg and stretch it backward.
- Stay in this posture and then return to the initial position.
- Repeat the exercise by lifting left hand and right leg and vice versa.
- Practice the exercise at least 20 times every day.
18. Jumping Jacks
jumping jack is a combination of aerobics and muscle strengthening exercise (). This is a good exercise when you are opting cardio. The exercise can be beneficial as it puts the correct amount of pressure on your biceps and triceps for toning them.
- Hold the dumbbells in your arms and stretch them out in level to your shoulders.
- Next, jump up in the air swinging your hands up over your head and spreading your legs apart.
- Then jump again bringing hands to the initial position and shut the legs in.
- Repeat it as long as you can daily.
In order to lose arm fat, yoga can help you a lot. The various body postures enlisted in yoga are meant for stretching the complete body. It keeps the body physically fit and mentally calm. Yoga has many benefits (21) and the following poses in yoga are meant for getting slim and evenly toned arms.
- Side Plank
This exercise is for beginners (22). Exhale and put your right foot on the left and stretch your right hand straight in the upward direction. The body should lie in a straight line with abs tightened up. Look at the ceiling. Inhale and unwind yourself.
- Four-Limbed Staff Pose
It has positive benefits on bone formation (23). Lie down on your stomach. Keep your elbows at 90 degrees and lift your body up. Support your body on the palms and the tips of your feet. Keep the body straight and exhale during the process. Repeat it several times each day.
- Upward Dog
Lie down on the floor, resting on the stomach. Next, lift your upper body straight in the sitting posture and lower your hips towards the floor. The body should be supported by your straightening hands and untuck toes. Inhale while lowering your hips to the ground and exhale while lifting them up to form the downward dog. Let your head extend to allow your eyes to look up ().
it is a popular exercise to increase core strength (25). Breathe in and straighten your arms such that shoulders are placed over the wrist. Support the body on palms and the feet. While performing the exercise, the body should be in straight line from head to toe. The exercise should be implemented with the right posture as a wrong posture would not benefit to that extent (26).
- Downward Dog
This exercise helps reduce the back fat along with the arm fat. Along with shedding the fat, downward dog and deep breathing support in emotional and behavioral disorders too (27). To perform this, stand straight with feet being a width apart. Now, bend down and touch the ground with both hands, raising your hips upwards. Make sure that the arms and legs should be completely straight while doing so.
20. Shed the Fat in Water
Swimming is the best way to tone up the body and get rid of flabby arms. It results in a considerable weight loss in less duration. Swimming not only reduces the arm fat but also helps shed the excess of pounds from the body. Particularly, freestyle swimming is beneficial for the arms; which involves back and front strokes with the periodic movement of the arms to kick out the excess fat and strengthening the arm muscles. Moreover, swimming has many health benefits associated with it (28). Swim for at least one hour every day to see the glorifying effects.
21. Stick to a Healthy Diet
Increase the intake of vegetables in your diet and opt for unsweetened green tea. Incorporate a protein source, a low fat and carb source in every meal. Include fiber-rich food that increases the metabolic rate leading to burning of more calories. Avoid consuming sugar-rich cakes, starch containing food, soft drinks, candies, and fried food. Lower levels of insulin help your kidney shed excess sodium and water from the body, reducing the water weight. In addition to that, the food should be taken within 2 hours of the workout. You should maintain your daily calorie intake based on your body weight, height, and your fitness level. Set a goal of eating five hundred calories less every day; amounting to 3500 calories less in a week which is equivalent to 2 pounds. Staying physically fit protects us from diseases and boosts our health (29). Again, fad diets for reducing weight may result in some health problem, so instead, go for a healthy diet plan (30).
22. Herbs to Reduce Weight
There are many benefits of herbal tea and they help a lot in the reduction of fat, and to release the toxins from our body. They regulate the metabolism easing the arm fat reduction. Besides reducing weight, herbal tea is effective in curing many other diseases (31).
Boxing has its roots in Greece and Rome and dates back to 1681 (32). The workout is tried and tested and is sure to burn the calories deposited on the back of your arm. The punches that you hit forcefully are sure to reduce the fat accumulated on your arm. You can enroll for boxing classes or buy your own pair of gloves with a punching bag and start practicing on your own. Just imagine your opponent to be on the other side and start hitting. The aggression dovetailed in this way can help you lose some inches from the arm. Take up any form of martial arts as that would harden the muscle and reduce arm fat.
24. Jump Squats
The best exercise for reducing fat arms is squats. It is one of the most commonly referred to exercises which get the heart rate up. Follow the instructions below to get your shape done. Although there are many varieties of squats (33), beginners can kick off with this simple one.
- Keep your fingers at the back of your head. Elbows should be parallel to your body.
- Bend your knees and jump high, as high as you can.
- On landing back return to the squat position.
- Repeat it several times a day.
25. Half Moon Rotation
Exercises build stamina and provide flexibility and strength to your body (34). This is a medium intensity workout and is quite effective in toning the biceps, triceps and the shoulder muscles. You get to see awesome results with this simple exercise that focuses on multiple muscles at the same time.
- Stand straight with your legs hip width apart.
- Stretch your arms straight sideways.
- Keep the face of the palm facing down.
- Rotate your thumbs back till the palm starts facing in the upward direction.
- Next rotate the thumbs in a forward direction until the palms face down.
- Repeat the exercise 30 times.
Note: You can hold weights in your hands to increase the difficulty level and make the workout more intense.
26. Prisoner Squat
It is very difficult to shed the jiggly fat on the upper part of the arm but prisoner squats ease the problem and are beneficial for the beginners as they help reduce arm fat tremendously.
- Stand straight with feet placed shoulder apart.
- Keep both the hands at the back of your head.
- Lower yourself as far as you can, bending the knees.
- Wait for a minute.
- Get back to the initial position and repeat.
Note: Perform squats carefully as deep squats may result in an injury (35).
27. Single Arm Lateral Raise
Single-arm lateral raise is a part of army training exercises. It is a powerful exercise to cut out the jiggles from the arm. This exercise is efficacious in strengthening the core muscles. It tightens the triceps and is effective for back muscles too.
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Get the body in plank shape with arms shoulder-width apart and legs separated a little more than hip width.
- Remaining in this position, lift one of your arms to the shoulder height sideways or in the forward direction.
- Get into the initial position.
- Now, lift the other arm to shoulder height in the forward direction.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times for each side.
28. Lateral Plank Walk
This exercise will shape up your shoulders and define the deltoids. It melts down the fat deposited on the arms and abs at the same time (37) and provides strength to the core muscles. Though slightly tough to perform, it delivers desired results.
- Lie down on the floor on your stomach.
- Move your right hand and keep it in the left direction, and left hand in the right direction in a criss-cross manner. Stretch your left leg in the left direction and right leg in the right direction at the same time.
- Stretch your abs towards pelvis and proceed in this direction taking two more steps, completing a rep.
- Change the direction and take 3 steps in the right direction.
- Perform 15 reps in each direction.
29. Triceps Rope Extension
triceps-rope-extensions strengthen your triceps (38). The exercise focuses on stretching, strengthening your hands and making them flexible. It even increases the hands range of motion. To get slim and toned arms, follow the instructions given below.
- Fix rope to a high cable pulley.
- Select an appropriate weight and hold the rope with both hands facing towards it.
- Keep your elbows at right angle position in the beginning.
- Do not move the upper arm and extend the rope to the maximum level passing through hips getting a full extension.
- Slowly get back to the starting position and repeat.
30. TRX Triceps Extension
Again, the exercise focuses on building the core muscles. Strong core muscles promote healthy back and give you a good posture (39). Not only does it get your arms a sexy look, but also sheds the fat from the back.
- Suspend the TRX cables at a high position such that the handles reach exactly above your waist.
- Stand straight and hold the handles by your hands looking at the floor.
- Keeping feet joined lean forward keeping your body in a straight line and making a 50-degree angle with the floor.
- Rest in this position for a while and then return to the initial position.
31. Diamond Push Ups
This exercise is one of the warm up exercises done in the army which prevents any muscular injury while training (40). This targets your arms and chest. Besides, making your arms slim, it develops your abs too.
- Lie down on the floor through the stomach.
- Take the position of a plank.
- Your hands should be closer than the shoulder width. Join them through the thumb and index fingers, making a diamond shape.
- Lower your body while inhaling until the chest is a cm apart from the ground.
- Take the body back to the initial position (plank) using your triceps muscles, breathing out slowly.
32. Aero box
Aero box is similar to boxing but without a punching bag. The exercise requires you to do boxing in the air which tightens your arms. It comes under the category of fitness boxing that increases the upper body strength majorly (41).
- Stand straight and hold weights of 1 pound in each hand.
- Step left foot 6 inches forward and move the right foot 6 inches back.
- Keep the fists in front of your face.
- Strike with the left fist and then with the right.
- Speed up slowly.
- Continue with the exercise for a minute.
- Shift the feet and repeat.
33. Weighted Punch
This is same as the aero box, which is a type of aerobics (42) except the position of legs and the direction of punching. It is a great workout for the upper body. The exercise rewards you with thin and strong arms.
- Hold 1 pound weight in both the hands in front of your face.
- Stand in a way keeping your feet hip-width apart, palms facing each other.
- Bend your knees a little, keeping the upper portion straight.
- Keep your right hand as it is and punch upwards with your left hand as high as you can.
- Bring your right hand to the initial position and punch with your left hand upwards.
- Keep on doing the exercise for a minute.
34. Floor Pull Up
The workout puts your body weight on the arms as you lift your body through them. It is a great exercise for sculpting and providing strength to the arms. Follow the steps below to perform this exercise.
- Lie down on the floor keeping the head and shoulders under a strong table.
- Hold the edge of the table tightly with both the hands at a shoulder distance and palms facing inside.
- Pull yourself up by holding the rod as high as you can keeping the neck straight.
- Rest for a second before returning to the initial position.
- Repeat the exercise for a minute.
1) In the absence of a table, put a pole on two chairs separated by a few feet.
2) Follow a proper procedure to perform this exercise (43).
35. Equalizer Dip
Dips work well to shape shoulders, chest, and triceps (44). Equalizer dips come under strength training that focuses on chest, triceps, front shoulders and arms. They develop tension in the arms that helps cut the flab, giving arms a sleek look.
- Stand between the equalizer bars.
- Place your hands firmly on the equalizer bars.
- Stretch your legs a little forward.
- Look forward and lower yourself while inhaling.
- Exhale as you get back to the initial position.
- Keep the upper body straight and firm.
- The shoulders must not reach below the elbows.
Note: Make sure to keep your shoulders back and chest up. The shoulders should not go below the elbows.
- Try your hand at sports like tennis, badminton, and squash that strengthen your arm muscles.
- Include an adventure trip; rowing down the boat tightens the arm muscles shedding the extra fat.
- Try to reduce weight from the entire body as that would make your arms slim naturally. Join the gym and workout regularly.
- Say a big no to sports nutrition bars after a workout. Eat high fiber carbohydrates to nourish the muscles.
- Perform some warm up exercises before going for weights. Lift only that much weight which can be comfortably handled by you.
- Jump start your day with a cup of green tea and consume 3-4 cups in the entire day as that helps burn calories and boost metabolism.
- Stretch your arms at the back once in every hour and set aside some time for walking.
- Say a big no to junk and processed food.
- Do not commit the mistake of skipping breakfast as that would lead to excessive eating (generally snacks) for the entire day (45).
- Avoid using elevators whenever possible and go for stairs.
- Instead of eating heavy meals twice in a day, opt for smaller meals at regular intervals.