Searching for a quick relief from wisdom tooth pain? Although you cannot prevent the eruption of third molar, but surely alleviate the pain by using some easy home remedies. A grown up person can have up to 32 teeth, and third molar appears in the last. Wisdom tooth shows its emergence between the age of 17 and 25. The partial outbreak of wisdom tooth causes infection and certainly give you pain. Bad breath, headache, jaw pain and swelling, tenderness and redness of the gums, fever, pain in the adjacent teeth, or an unpleasant taste while biting food, are some of the common symptoms of wisdom tooth pain. Try out these amazing home remedies to stop wisdom teeth pain. However, in case of unbearable pain and inflammation one should seek a dentist.
Home Remedies to Prevent Wisdom Tooth Pain
1. Clove Oil
Take some clove oil and apply it on the affected area. Repeat the same process 2 to 3 times a day. You may dilute clove oil with some amount of olive oil, if you find it too strong.
- Alternatively, place 2 or 3 cloves directly in your mouth close to the painful area.
2. Gargle with Salt Water
- Or else, mix pepper and salt in equal amount; add some drops of water to form a fine paste. Now, apply it to the aching tooth. Leave the mixture for a few minutes. Repeat the same process 2 to 3 times a day until your pain is completely gone.
3. Alcoholic Beverage
Liquor can also be helpful in alleviating the wisdom tooth pain (6).
You might be wondering, right? Take some brandy or vodka in a bowl. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply it to your affected site to numb the area.
Crush a few garlic cloves and hold it next to your painful tooth. Or else, chew 1 or 2 garlic cloves to get rid of wisdom teeth pain.
- Instead, prepare a paste by mixing 2 crushed garlic cloves with black salt. Apply, and let it stand for some time and then spew out.
Cut a raw onion and chew the slices for a few minutes. Moreover, if you are suffering from severe swelling and pain, you can put a small piece of raw onion directly to lessen the soreness. The anti bacterial activity of onion cures toothache (10).
The anti inflammatory properties of asafoetida is useful to cure toothache (11).
Put some asafoetida on the infected tooth. Or else, mix two tablespoons of lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon of asafoetida powder. Heat the mixture and immerse a cotton ball in it. Now, put the soaked cotton ball on your painful tooth.
- Instead, slice a lemon and squeeze out the juice. Soak a cotton ball and apply it to the infected area for a couple of minutes.
7. Vanilla Extract
Take a cotton swab and pour 3 or 4 drops of vanilla extract. Hold it onto the infected area for a few minutes. Repeat this process thrice a day, until the pain is gone.
8. Cabbage Leaves
The lactic acid present in cabbage cures the pain associated with a wisdom tooth. It also possess anti inflammatory properties which cure gum inflammation (14).
Just roll over a cabbage leaf with the help of a rolling pin so that the leaf becomes tender. Roll and stuck it between the wisdom tooth and the gum.
Note: Before placing cabbage leaves on the inflamed area, take out its veins.
- Instead, brew ginger tea and use it as a mouthwash. Just put some slices of ginger in a mug and add 1 to 2 cups of boiling water. Allow it to steep for 20 minutes, let it cool down. Swirl the infusion in your mouth and then throw it off.
10. Baking Soda
Prepare a fine paste or brush the area gently with baking powder to get rid of wisdom tooth pain.
11. Tea Bags
Just place the used tea bag in the refrigerator. After an hour, take out the frozen tea bag and keep it over the inflamed area.
- Besides, brew a cup of black tea and sip it slowly. Both these methods will help lessen the pain.
12. Chewing Gums
Yes, you read it right! Chewing gums can also alleviate the swelling and pain associated with the wisdom tooth. Simply chew gum throughout the day.
Chewing gum is very useful for dental caries (20).
Place a thick cucumber slice around your wisdom tooth area for about 15 to 20 minutes to get rid of pain instantly.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and place it on the painful tooth for at least ten minutes. Or else, swirl ACV in your mouth for a couple of seconds. It not only alleviates pain, but whitens your teeth and prevents bad breath as well because of its anti inflammatory properties (22).
15. Oil Pulling
Take a cup and mix 1 tbsp each of coconut oil, sunflower oil, and sesame oil. Rinse your mouth with this prepared solution and spit it out after 15 to 20 minutes. Now, mix a spoon of salt in some lukewarm water and use it as a mouthwash, swish it in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat the same process 3 to 4 times a day.
16. Cayenne Pepper Paste
Mix one teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper and a few drops of water to form a thick paste. Apply this prepared paste to the painful tooth and allow it to stand for a few minutes. Cayenne pepper has outstanding pain relieving properties (25).
- You can also place a few hot chili pepper seeds directly to the wisdom tooth.
17. Swedish Bitters
Mix a small quantity of Swedish bitters liquid and water. Swirl this solution in your mouth for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
18. Black Pepper Powder
Mix some powdered black pepper, salt and water to form a paste. Leave it on for a few seconds. You can also apply crushed black pepper directly to the aching tooth. Its anti inflammatory properties, besides healing pain, also treats sensitivity problems as well (26).
19. Peanut butter
Apply some peanut butter directly to the tooth several times a day to relieve the pain. It contains several minerals and vitamins that cure inflammation (27).
20. Hot and Cold Treatment
Hot and cold compress gives relief to a major extent. Just cover an ice cube using a clean cloth or gauze. Place it either on the cheek or to the painful tooth till that area becomes numb. Do this thrice a day to cure wisdom tooth pain (28, 29).
- You may also place a hot water bag and put it on the side of the aching tooth or you can gargle using warm water (30).
This antiseptic spice has tremendous health benefits apart from its culinary uses. Combine powdered turmeric and water to make a paste. Use a cotton ball and apply it on the affected area. Do this twice a day to reduce inflammation (31, 32).
Herbal Remedies to Prevent Wisdom Tooth Pain
Due to the healing properties of spilanthes herb, it is popularly called as “toothache plant.” Chewing its leaves or flower buds can numb the painful gums and give relief from pain associated with wisdom teeth (33, 34, 35).
24. Guava Leaves
The pain blocking and anti-astringent properties of guava leaves alleviate the problem of aching teeth (37).
Take 1 or 2 soft guava leaves and chew them slowly. The anti-spasm properties of its juice heal the aching tooth.
- Otherwise, you can also boil 4 – 6 guava leaves in a cup of water for about five minutes, strain and let it cool down. Use it as a mouthwash. Do this twice a day to get significant relief from pain.
Take some peppermint oil and massage it to the affected area. Leave it on for a couple of minutes, and then rinse it off with the help of salt water (warm). The antiseptic properties of peppermint oil speed up the healing process (38).
- Alternatively, take a cup of hot water and add one teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves. Cover the mixture with a lid and allow it to steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Use it as the mouthwash. Swirl this mixture in your mouth for 30 seconds. Later, spit it out and repeat the same process with the remaining solution.
26. Cinnamon Oil
27. Tea Tree Oil
Rub some tea tree oil with your fingertips on your tooth. Or else, mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and ½ tsp olive oil. Use a cotton ball or fingertip to apply this mixture on your painful tooth. The antimicrobial components of tea tree oil reduces pain caused due to wisdom tooth (40, 41).
Note – Make sure you don’t swallow the tea tree oil.
Take a fresh Echinacea root and place it on the aching tooth. Apart from that, you can also prepare a tea and drink it. Further, apply the tea bag onto your wisdom tooth to make this remedy more effectual.
You can also chew Echinacea roots for curing toothache (42).
29. Bayberry Bark and Vinegar
Prepare a paste of vinegar and bayberry bark. Apply it on the affected area to cure the pain linked with a wisdom tooth. Tannins present in this herb treat the inflamed area and heal the wound quickly (43).
30. Oregano Oil
Dilute 1 drop of oregano oil with one tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Massage your tooth gently with this oil using your fingertips.
31. Lavender Oil
The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of lavender make it a beneficial remedy for aching gums (47).
Just put some lavender oil directly on the painful wisdom tooth and rub it with your fingertips. Or else, soak a cotton ball in the oil and place it on the tooth.
Take a cup of water and add two drops of myrrh oil. Use this mixture as a mouthwash.
Myrrh is an antiseptic, that is why it cure toothache (48).
- Besides, mix 2 cups of water and one tsp of powdered myrrh. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes, strain and allow the solution to cool. Now, in ½ cup of water, add one tsp of this solution. Swirl this prepared mixture and repeat this 5 to 6 times a day.
33. Goldenseal Tincture
Rub some goldenseal tincture on the painful tooth. Keep it for 5 minutes to get rid of pain instantly.
To lessen the problem of wisdom tooth pain, combine one teaspoon of natural sea salt, two teaspoons of dried sage, and one shot of alcohol. Leave the mixture for 5 minutes. Then use it for gargling.
Crush some plantain leaves and apply them to the painful tooth. To increase its efficacy, sprinkle a pinch of salt on the leaves. Since this herb is loaded with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it heals pain (53, 54).
- Drink plenty of water all through the day.
- Eat only soft foods, such as rice, pasta, or soup.
- Brush your teeth and tongue on a regular basis (55).
- Gently tap the painful tooth using your nail for temporary relief.
- Clean your mouth gently.
- Massage your gum by placing your index finger and thumb on it.
- Chewing frozen fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, apples, carrots, etc., reduces the tingling sensation of the gums.
- Eat cheese to get quick relief from the pain.
- Don’t chew hard, sticky or crispy foods (56).
- Avoid drinking fluids with a straw.
- Quit smoking (57).
- Avoid intake of too much sugar in your diet (58).