If your hair gets exposed to sun and dust frequently, and you are not able to oil them regularly, then chances are that you will suffer from dry hair. This condition persists when sebaceous glands that discharge oil into hair shafts become dry due to activities like sunbathing (exposure to sun), swimming in chlorinated water, regular / excessive washing with shampoo, heredity problems, malnutrition, dehydration, skipping conditioners, using cotton pillow while sleeping, anorexia nervosa, excessive use of blow dryers, underactive parathyroid, dandruff, menses, using hot water during washing, high porosity, etc. Frequent hair breakage, split ends, itchy scalp, and lack of luster or shine are some of the indications of dry hair. Excessive hairstyling is not recommended, as it may damage natural beauty of the strands. Try these effective home remedies to get rid of dry hair and have healthy scalp with manageable locks.
Home Remedies for Dry Hair
Use following dry hair remedies for effective results.
1. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is considered as an effective dry hair treatment. Mix equal quantities of lemon juice and sesame oil. Apply this mixture on the scalp and wrap your hair with a hot towel. Wash them off after an hour with shampoo. Its vitamin and mineral content helps strengthen hair by increasing blood circulation.
2. Unboiled Milk
Soak a cotton ball in some unboiled milk and apply it on your scalp. Leave it for an hour and then wash it off thoroughly.
- Alternatively, mix some egg yolk, olive oil and half tbsp of sugar. Keep it aside. Dip a cotton ball in milk and apply it over the scalp. Keep it for 15-20 minutes. Now apply the prepared egg mixture and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then, wash off with lukewarm water.
Take ½ cup of yogurt. Add a teaspoon each of honey and ACV to it. Mix well and apply to hair roots. Or else, apply plain yogurt on the scalp. Let it stay for 30 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. You can also add mustard oil or olive oil in yogurt.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Dip a cotton ball in some apple cider vinegar and apply it directly on the scalp. Alternatively, dilute some ACV and apply it after shampooing your hair. This is the best dry hair treatment that naturally conditions your strands.
- Alternatively, in 3 cups of water, boil a handful of rosemary leaves for 5-10 minutes. Strain this mixture and add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar, 10 drops each of peppermint and rosemary oils. Apply it as a conditioner. Wash your hair after 10-15 minutes if required or leave them.
- Mix some white vinegar with apple cider vinegar and pour it over your strands after shampooing them. This remedy helps close the cuticles and restore the natural shine of hair.
5. Coconut Oil
Massage some coconut oil on your scalp and leave overnight. Wash it off in the morning for glossy and beautiful hair.
- Alternatively, mix some coconut oil and olive oil. Massage your hair with this mixture. Leave it overnight. Wash them off in the morning with a mild shampoo to avoid dryness and itchy scalp.
Resolve the problem of dry hair by using eggs. Mix two eggs with ½ cup of olive oil and apply it on the scalp. Keep it for an hour and then rinse off with mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can directly apply white part of egg onto the scalp. Leave it on for 1 hour and then wash off with mild shampoo.
- Mix 2 tbsp of coconut oil / olive oil with 3 eggs. Add 1 tbsp each of honey and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the scalp for 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Beat 2 eggs in ½ cup of full-fat yogurt and add 1 tbsp of almond oil. Massage this mixture onto your scalp and wrap your head with a hot towel. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Mix 3 eggs, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of vinegar, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of rosemary essential oil. Stir this mixture well and apply it on the scalp for around 20 minutes.
Mix 2 over ripe bananas with 1 tbsp each of honey and olive oil. Apply this paste over your scalp for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Alternatively, blend 2 ripe bananas with 2 eggs. Add 2 drops of honey to this mixture. Apply on your hair, keep it for an hour, and then rinse off with mild shampoo. The richness of potassium, magnesium and vitamins in banana make it a great remedy to restore the natural look and luster of hair.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Soak 50 grams of fenugreek seeds overnight and grind them in the morning. Add 1 tbsp each of yogurt, olive oil and honey to it. Apply this paste on the scalp and keep it for 45 minutes. Finally, wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can also apply plain fenugreek paste over your scalp. Fenugreek is an effective remedy for treating dandruff and hair fall.
- Mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of yogurt or buttermilk and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Apply this mixture on your strands and keep it for 20 minutes. Then rinse off with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can combine 3 tbsp of olive oil and ½ cup of honey. Apply this paste over the scalp and wrap your head with a warm towel. Shampoo your hair after 30 minutes.
- Or else, mix 4 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of glycerin and 2 tbsp of honey. Apply this as a conditioner after shampooing your hair. Wash off after 10-15 minutes.
- You can even combine honey along with your natural conditioner and then wash off your hair. It helps in hair growth and gives shine to your dull and lifeless hair.
10. Olive Oil
- Warm some olive oil and apply onto your scalp with your fingertips. Keep for 1 hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, mix one egg and peeled cucumber. Add 4 tbsp of olive oil to it and apply this paste on your scalp. Wear a shower cap and cover your hair for 15-20 minutes. Then wash them off with warm water.
- Or else, mix olive oil with egg yolk in equal proportion. Add some water if required. Apply this paste on your scalp for about 20 minutes. Then wash off with warm water. This is one of the best treatments for dry hair.
- Apply half cup of full-fat mayonnaise to your scalp and wash off after 30 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup of almond oil to ¼ cup of mayonnaise. Add 1-2 eggs as required in this mixture and apply it onto the scalp. Use diluted vinegar for washing off hair.
- Alternatively, massage your scalp with mayonnaise oil and rinse off after 15 minutes.
Mix some beer with egg and essential oil (few drops of jojoba oil and 8 ounces of dark beer). Apply it on hair and rinse off after 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, add 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of beer. Shampoo your hair and use this mixture as a conditioner.
Avocados are rich source of vitamins A, D, E, K and H (Biotin), protein, iron, magnesium, copper, amino acids and potassium. These metabolize fats and proteins and are essential for healthy hair.
- Make puree of the inner part of avocado. Mix ¼ cup of milk and 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil. Apply this puree on hair roots and wash off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to avocado paste. Spread it on your hair and then rinse off after some time.
- Or else, mix some mayonnaise with avocado pulp and then apply it directly on the scalp.
- Apply coconut oil on the scalp. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Mash a banana and mix some avocado in it. Apply this on the scalp. After 10-15 minutes, wash off with warm water.
- Mix puree of 1 ripe avocado, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of olive, castor, coconut, jojoba, or almond oil, and 1 tbsp of yogurt. Apply this mask on your hair. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 30 minutes.
Boil a cup of water and add a packet of gelatin to it. Stir it continuously to form a thick gel. Apply this to your hair after shampooing. Keep it on for 5 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a mixture of gelatin, apple cider vinegar and few drops of rosemary oil and apply this over scalp after shampooing your hairs. Keep it on for 15 minutes then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat it at least once a week.
Take 1 cup each of papaya, banana, and yogurt, 1 tbsp each of honey and coconut oil. Mix all the ingredients. Apply this paste on strands. Leave it on for about 30 minutes and then rinse off. This pack acts as a very good conditioner and helps reduce dryness of hair.
16. Foods Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Include nuts, seeds, dairy products, eggs, walnut, beans, fish, olive oil and meat in your diet, as they all are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Thus, they help in providing vital nutrients to hair along with reducing dryness of hair.
17. Lemon Juice
Mix juice of 1 lemon in 1 cup of water. Apply it on your hair after washing. This will strengthen and give a natural shine to your strands.
Make puree of 2 cups of cooked and chopped pumpkins. Add 1 tbsp each of honey, coconut oil and yogurt. Blend these properly and apply the paste in your hair for 30 minutes. Wash off with water.
- Alternatively, blend 1 cup of pumpkin and ½ cup of yogurt. Apply this paste in your hair. After 30 minutes, rinse off with shampoo. Pumpkin acts as a natural moisturizing agent and provides nourishment to hairs; hence, reduces the problem of dry hair.
19. Almond Oil
Simply massage your hair with almond oil. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
- Blend one raw egg and ¼ cup of almond oil. Let this mixture rest on hair for 40 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
20. Cocoa Powder
Prepare a paste of honey, cocoa powder, apple cider vinegar and yogurt. Apply it on hair. Wait for 5-10 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Cocoa powder works effectively in removing dryness of hair.
21. Sugar Water
Dissolve some sugar in half cup of water and then apply this solution on your strands. This also helps in treating dry and damaged hair.
Crush 1-2 aspirin and mix them with regular shampoo to wash off your hair. The salicylic acid in aspirin restores the natural shine of your strands.
23. Shea Butter
Melt around 100 grams of shea butter in a double boiler. Allow it to cool and add 20 grams of apricot kernel, 20 drops of lemongrass oil, 10 drops of rosemary oil, and 40 grams of cornstarch. Use this mixture as a conditioner. It is a natural remedy to protect your hair against harmful UV rays.
24. Castor Oil
Apply some castor oil with your fingertips in your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. It helps in getting rid of various problems like dandruff, hair loss, split ends, dry scalp, breakage, and dry hair.
25. Clarified Butter
Apply some clarified butter to your strands and scalp. Keep it for some time and then wash off. The unrefined fats present in clarified butter acts as a natural conditioner, which nourishes hair and helps reduce dryness.
26. Argan Oil
Apply some argan oil in your scalp and wrap your head with a warm towel. Rinse off after 1 hour with a mild shampoo.
27. Black Tea
Prepare some black tea and let it cool. Now pour this tea on your hair after shampooing. This is a conditioning agent and adds natural shine and softness to your hair.
28. Bottle Gourd Juice
Extract some juice of bottle gourd and apply it in the roots of your hair. Wash your hair after 30 minutes.
Herbal Remedies to Cure Dry Hair
29. Chamomile Tea
Brew chamomile tea. Add ¼ cup of olive oil to it. Allow this mixture to cool and pour it on your hair. Chamomile tea is a natural remedy that repairs split ends and dryness of hair.
30. Tea Tree Oil
Add tea tree oil (a few drops) to your regular shampoo or conditioner. Its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties combat itchiness of scalp and dryness of hair.
31. Essential Oil Treatment
Oiling is one of the best treatments for dry hair. Make use of essential oils like sandalwood, rosemary, geranium and lavender to massage your hair.
- Mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of jojoba oil, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of safflower oil, yolk of an egg, 4 drops of geranium oil, sandalwood, and neroli essential oil. Massage this mixture on your scalp for about 15 minutes and then wash off your hair with warm water.
32. Herbal Shampoo
Take 250 gm fenugreek, 500 gm acacia concinna, 100 gm soap beans, 250 gm green gram, and one packet each of basil leaves and curry leaves. Let them dry in the sun for a few days and crush them to make a fine powder. When required, take a small quantity of this powder and make a paste along with water and use.
Take 3 tbsp of henna and mix some tea liquor and yogurt into it. Leave it to stand overnight. Apply this on your strands in the morning. Leave it on for 2 hours and then wash off with a mild shampoo. Regular application of henna improves quality of your hair and make them silky smooth and shiny.
34. Curry Leaves
Take about 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add 5-6 curry leaves in it. Heat it for some time, and then apply this oil onto the scalp after it cools down. Wrap a warm towel on your head for 15 minutes and wash off after 12 hours. This treatment will soothe your scalp and make your hair shiny and soft.
35. Hibiscus Flowers
Take about 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add petals of 1 hibiscus flower into it and heat. As this mixture cools, apply it over the scalp. Leave overnight and wash off in the morning to get healthy strands.
36. Aloe Vera
Drinking aloe vera juice or applying this juice to hair is a great remedy to treat dryness of hair. Apply some aloe vera gel directly on the scalp, keep it for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
- Alternatively, mix 4 tbsp of aloe vera gel, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and 3 tbsp of yogurt. Apply this mixture over your scalp and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Squeeze out some aloe vera gel. Add crushed hibiscus flowers and 1 tbsp of olive oil in the paste and apply over hair. This must be kept for 15-20 minutes. Then wash off with warm water.
- Mix 2 tbsp of castor oil with half cup of aloe vera gel, 2 tbsp of fenugreek powder, 1 tbsp of basil powder. Combine well to make a thick paste. Apply this paste to hair before you hit the hay and wash off in the morning. It acts as an excellent moisturizer and helps in getting rid of dry hair.
- Make use of cold water to rinse your hair.
- Wash hair at an interval of 2-3 days.
- Get your hair trimmed regularly.
- Have healthy food including fruits and green leafy vegetables.
- Practice meditation and stress relieving activities.
- Massage your hair with oil before washing them.
- After every wash, apply conditioner.
- Cover your hair while going out in the sun.
- Make use of satin or silk pillow while sleeping.
- Wash your hair with filtered water since chlorinated water is harmful for hair.
- Heat the oil a little before massaging as this leads to better absorption of oil.
- Do not tie your hair tightly.
- A comb with plastic bristles must not be used to manage hair.
- Do not comb wet hair.
- While massaging your hair, don’t be too harsh as this may result in hair loss.
- Do not use cotton pillow while sleeping.
- Avoid smoking.
- Do not use flat iron on wet strands.
- Avoid using hair dryers.
- Do not over style your hair. Reduce hair styling to once a week.
- Avoid using shampoos and conditioner containing sodium lauryl sulfate, as they may irritate the scalp and cause dryness of hair.