Your hands and feet are the first ones to be noticed by anyone you meet, but somehow they are also the most overlooked parts. We take special care of the complexion of our face, but the constant exposure to dust, pollution, and the sun takes its toll on our hands and feet. We use best of the sunscreen lotions to prevent the darkening of the skin, but, Sun doesn’t spare anyone. There are all kinds of skin lightening creams available in the market, but they usually contain a lot of harmful chemicals and bleach. However, certain natural home remedies can help you in getting clean and fair hands and feet without having to spend a fortune on it. Here, we have listed some of the best home remedies for whitening hands and feet.
Home Remedies to Get Fair Hands and Feet
1. Orange Peel
This is one of the best home remedies for fair hands and feet. Dry some orange peels in the sunlight. Once dried completely, grind them in a juicer and store in a mason jar. Add some milk to it to make a thick paste. Clean your hands and feet with water and apply this paste on the skin. Let it work for 20 minutes. Then, wash it off with cool water. Do it three times a week for best results.
2. Raw Milk
Raw milk is one of the easiest and most effective remedies to make hands and feet complexion fair. It contains lactic acid that exfoliates dead skin cells. This acid is also a natural bleaching agent which helps lighten the skin gradually. Raw milk penetrates into your skin and cleanses it thoroughly. Also, it is a great moisturizer. Wash your hands and feet with water. Soak a cotton pad in raw milk and dab it on your hands and feet. It will collect the dirt from your skin. Now, take some raw milk in your palms and massage it gently on your feet and hands. Let your skin absorb it for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with normal water. Repeat it daily to get the desired results.
Cucumber has a cooling effect which is helpful to heal sunburns. You can rub fresh slices of cucumber on your dark skin areas. Do it for 5 minutes and leave for another 10-15 minute to let the skin absorb its juice. Wash with water.
- Alternatively, mix one tbsp each of lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply it on your skin and wait for 15-20 minutes. Use cold water to wash it off. Repeat it daily.
- Or, add a few drops of honey to a grated cucumber. Put this mask on the dark skin areas. Rinse it off with water after 15-20 minutes. Perform it twice a day.
4. Gram Flour
Gram flour is packed with ample nutrients that keep your skin healthy and give back its natural texture. It also removes excess oil from your skin. Combine gram flour and rosewater to make a thick paste. Smear it on your skin and wash it off using cool water, once it gets dry.
- Alternatively, combine two tbsp each of gram flour and milk, one tsp of turmeric powder, and half a tsp of lemon juice. Mix properly and apply a coat of it on your hands and feet. After washing, it will give a glowing complexion.
The skin-whitening properties of honey help treat uneven skin tone. Mix one tbsp each of honey, lemon juice, and milk powder and stir well to make a paste. Rinse your hands and feet with water and pat it dry. Now, apply this paste on the dark skin areas. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off later.
- Alternatively, you can apply raw honey to the darker areas of your skin. Wait for a few minutes and then, wash it off with cool water. Repeat it daily.
Potato has natural skin bleaching properties. It is really effective in reducing pigmentation on your skin. Simply rub fresh slices of potato on your skin, wait for 10 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Or else, extract fresh juice from a potato and apply it directly on your skin. It will give you instant results.
Take a few almonds and soak them in water overnight. In the morning, make a paste after removing their skin. Add a tsp each of gram flour and milk and a few drops of lemon juice to it. Massage this paste on your hands and feet. It will give you a fairer skin tone if used regularly.
- Or else, use almond oil on your skin. Heat it indirectly by placing the bowl containing almond oil in hot water. Massage this oil directly on your skin for 15-20 minutes. Afterwards, take a tissue to remove the excessive oil by pressing it gently on the skin. Do this daily in the beginning and gradually reduce it to once a week later.
Note: People who are allergic to almond oil should avoid using this remedy.
Oatmeal helps remove dead skin and promotes the growth of new skin cells. It further improves your skin tone. Mix 2 tbsp of oatmeal with one tbsp each of curd and lemon juice. Blend all the ingredients well to make a paste. Apply it on the affected skin areas. After 15 minutes, wash it off using fresh water. Perform it regularly for two weeks.
- Alternatively, make a thick paste from one tsp of powdered oatmeal, a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply this mask on your skin and wait for it to get dry. Rinse it off with fresh water. Do it daily to improve your skin tone.
Tomatoes are natural skin-bleaching and whitening agent that balances the pH level of your skin. Thus, make it look brighter by reducing the production of excessive oil. Apply the pulp of a small tomato to your skin after grating it. Or else, rub its slice. Wait for it to dry. Then, wash your skin with fresh water.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of lemon juice to a tbsp of tomato juice. Apply this mixture to the affected skin areas. Rinse it off after a few minutes.
- Or else, add pulp of a small tomato to 2 tbsp of yogurt. Leave for 10 minutes after applying it to your skin. Wash it off with normal water.
- Another option is to add four tbsp of buttermilk to 2 tbsp of tomato juice. Apply it to your skin using a cotton ball. Wash it off after 30 minutes. It helps reduce the sunburn.
10. Rose Water
Rose water cleanses your skin deeply. Mix 2 spoons of glycerin and 3 spoons of borax powder with 2 cups of rose water. Swab this mixture on your hands and feet. Wash off your skin with fresh water after 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of rose water to four tbsp of gram flour. Pour water into it to make a fine paste. Apply this paste on hands and feet. Wash it off once it dries.
The presence of lactic acid in yogurt makes it an effective bleaching agent. Smear it on the affected areas. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash off afterwards. Using it daily will improve your skin tone.
- Alternatively, you can add honey to the yogurt to enhance its effects.
Turmeric balances the amount of melanin in your skin. Thus, improves your skin tone. Make a thick paste of turmeric and milk cream. Apply it on your legs and hands. Let it dry for a few minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. It is very effective for skin whitening if used regularly.
- Alternatively, mix turmeric powder and olive oil to make a fine paste. Apply a thin layer of this paste to your hands and feet. Wash it off after 10 minutes. Do it thrice a week to see the results.
Note: Avoid direct sun exposure after using any turmeric remedy on your skin as it may blemish the skin.
It has bleaching properties that give an instant glow to your skin. Remove the skin of a papaya and rub the inner side of its skin on the darker areas. Wash your skin with cool water and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Add a cup of lemon juice to a mashed ripe papaya. Apply this mixture on your skin and massage gently. Wait for 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water. You will see noticeable results after using it once a week, regularly.
14. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for your skin. It also has skin-whitening properties. Mix a few drops of lemon juice to two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. Apply this mixture on your skin using a cotton ball. Rinse it off with lukewarm water after fifteen minutes.
1) Do it before going to bed for best results.
2) Apply sunscreen while out in the sunlight after using this remedy.
15. Vinegar and Salt
Vinegar is a good whitening agent while salt will help exfoliate your skin. Fill a tub half with lukewarm water. Add one tsp of rock salt and half a tsp of vinegar to it. Soak your feet in it for 10 minutes. Then, scrub your feet gently using a soft bristled brush. Afterwards, wash your feet using plain water. Repeat it regularly for a few days to lighten your skin tone.
- Alternatively, you can mix three tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 2 tsp of baking soda to make a paste. Smear it on the affected skin and wait for 15 minutes. Wash it off using warm water first and then with cold water. Apply some moisturizer on your skin after patting it dry. Do it once or twice a week.
Note: Dilute 2 tbsps of ACV with one tbsp of water if you have a sensitive skin.
Lemon has natural bleaching properties. You can cut a lemon in half. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over these halves and rub these slices on your dark skin areas. Salt helps to remove the dead skin cells. Thus, this mixture gives you a fairer and younger skin. Apply a good moisturizer so that your skin doesn’t get dry.
Note: After using this remedy avoid direct sunlight for at least 1-2 hours.
17. Rice Flour
Rice contains para-aminutesobenzoic acid which works as a natural sunscreen. Take a cup of uncooked rice and grind it to a fine powder. Now, add milk to it. Apply this paste on your skin and leave for about half an hour. Rinse it off using warm water. Do it twice or thrice a week.
18. Egg White
Egg white improves the complexion of your skin and restores its elasticity. Beat an egg and separate its white part in a bowl. Apply it to your skin and let it dry. Then, massage gently with wet hands. Wash it off with plain water.
- Alternatively, mix a tsp of olive oil and the juice of half a lemon in the egg white. Apply it to your skin and wait for 30 minutes. Rinse if off after that.
Onion improves the texture of your skin to a major extent. You can rub a slice of raw onion to dark hands and feet. It will lighten your skin tone.
- Another option is to mix half a tsp of honey with the juice of an onion. Apply it to the affected skin areas. Wipe it off using a wet cloth after it gets dried.
Note: Avoid using raw onion if you have sensitive skin.
Beetroot is really beneficial for your skin. Slice off a beetroot and rub it on your skin in a circular motion. Wash it off using a soap. Beetroot gives you an instant glow.
- Alternatively, mix a dash of turmeric with beetroot juice and apply it on the affected skin. Wait for 15 minutes and wash it off after that.
Take out the pulp from a pumpkin slice, add egg yolk, and a tsp of milk to it. Coat your limbs with this mask and let it dry. Use a damp cotton ball to clean it. It gives you bright and fresh skin instantly.
Alum has bleaching properties that help lighten your skin tone. Take a few crystals of alum and grind them to make a fine powder. Add honey to it and mix properly. Apply this mixture to your dark skin. Wait for about an hour or until it dries. Wash off with fresh water.
Saffron is a well known ingredient to be used for skin lightening. It is also helpful if your take it internally. For topical use, mix a few strands of saffron to a tsp of milk cream. Leave it for an hour to get soaked properly. Stir the mixture thoroughly after that. Clean your hands and feet with fresh water and apply this cream on the hands and legs. Wait for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Alternatively, add milk and a few strands of saffron to sandalwood powder. You can also add some rose water to make a paste. Apply this properly on your skin. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
1) If you have an oily skin, milk cream should be replaced with plain milk in the first remedy.
2) Don’t use rose water in the second remedy if you have dry skin.
Carrot helps treat suntan and thus, gives an even and lighter skin tone. You can make a peel mask for a fairer skin. Wash a peeled carrot with clean cold water. Cut it into small pieces and grind them to make a paste. Heat gelatine in some water and turn off the stove when it gets melted. Add carrot paste along with lemon juice and honey to it. Make a smooth paste by blending all the ingredients well. Put it into the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Apply it properly to your skin. Let your skin absorb it for half an hour. Peel off this mixture gently from your skin.Wash it off with fresh water and pat dry.
Grate a raw cabbage to extract its juice, add honey and a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Now, mix it with any binding medium like fuller’s earth, gram flour or rice powder. Let it settle for 10 minutes. Apply this paste on the dark skin. Rinse it off using normal water after it gets dried off. Pat dry and use moisturizer on your skin.
- Alternatively, mix ground cabbage leaves with a tsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of yeast dissolved in water. Smear it on your skin and wait for 15 minutes. Wipe it off using a wet cotton ball.
Radish is a natural bleaching agent that helps lighten the skin tone. You can apply grated radish or its juice on the darker areas of your skin. It will whiten not only your complexion but also remove blackheads and freckles.
Mushroom contains vitamin D that helps treat sunburn and the presence of kojic acid in it acts as a skin lightener. Take a few mushrooms and soak them in sesame oil. Use this gelled oil on your skin to lighten its tone. Wash it off with normal water after a few minutes.
Avocado can lighten your skin tone and soften it at the same time. Take a ripe avocado. Scoop out the fleshy part and mash it properly to make a paste. Now, add one tbsp of honey and 2 tbsp of milk to it. Blend the ingredients well and apply it to the affected skin. Wash it off after an hour. Use it regularly to get a fairer complexion.
- Or else, you can mix one mashed tomato with the pulp of one avocado. After applying it on your skin, leave it for about half an hour. Then, wash it off with warm water.
Herbal Remedies to Make Hands and Feet Fair Naturally
29. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can restore your original skin tone. It is able to treat hyperpigmentation thus, helps cure dark spots. Extract fresh gel from the leaves of aloe vera plant. Apply it on your hands and feet and wait for about half an hour. Wash it off with cool water. Do it twice a day for a week.
1) People who have an allergy with aloe vera should not use it.
2) Make sure that you don’t step out directly into the sunlight after using aloe vera on the skin. Cover the area to which you have applied the gel.
Sandalwood acts as a skin-lightening agent. You can use it with another bleaching agent that is lemon. Add juice of half a lemon to four tsp of sandalwood powder and some water to make a paste. Smear it on the darker areas of your skin. Wash off, once it dries completely.
- Alternatively, mix one tbsp each of sandalwood powder and almond powder. Make a paste and Apply it on your skin. Do it regularly to see a difference in your complexion.
- Or else, you can add milk to sandalwood powder and apply it to the affected dark skin. Wash it off after it gets dried.
Note: Don’t use lemon on the scars or acne as it has astringent properties.
Chamomile is one of the magical herbs for the skin. You can use chamomile flowers or chamomile tea bags for a facial steam. It can whiten your skin tone.
- Or else, boil chamomile flowers and let it cool down for sometime. Strain this mixture and soak your hands and feet in it.
Note: Ask your dermatologist before using this remedy.
It is a natural bleaching agent that can do wonders to your skin tone. Grate a horseradish, add half a tsp each of vinegar and lemon juice to it. Pour 3 drops of rosemary essential oil into this mixture. Stir and apply it on the dark skin gently. Wash it off after a few minutes.
- Alternatively, make a paste with grated horseradish and yogurt. Rub it on your skin and rinse it off using water.
1) Avoid contact of this herb to your open wounds.
2) Don’t use this herb without asking your dermatologist.
33. Lady’s Mantle
This herb is well-known for its skin lightening properties. Extract fresh juice from its leaves, soak a cotton ball in it, and dab it on your dark skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and then, rinse it off with water.
Note: You should not use this before consulting a dermatologist.
Bearberry helps improve the texture of your skin. Add 5-10 drops of bearberry extract to your regular lotion or cream. Apply it on your hands and feet to see the results.
- Alternatively, add glycerin and water to the bearberry extract and dilute it properly. Smear it on the dark areas of your skin. Rinse it off after leaving for a few minutes.
Mulberry inhibits the production of an enzyme called tyrosinase that forms melanin. Hence, usage of this herb gives bleaching effect to the skin, making it brighter. You can use mulberry extract along with your lotion to get a lighter skin tone. Do it twice a day.
Note: Consult your dermatologist before using this herb.
Glabridin, an active compound present in licorice reduces the production of melanin and treats the tanned skin caused by excessive sun exposure. Steep licorice root in the boiled water. After some time, strain this decoction and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply a layer of it on the dark skin areas. Leave it for overnight and wash it off in the morning using plain water.
- Alternatively, blend a small cucumber in a grinder, add a few drops of licorice extract, one tbsp each of lemon juice, sandalwood paste and tomato juice to this paste. Stir well to mix all the ingredients properly. Spread this paste on your skin. Once it dries, rinse off with fresh water. Do it twice a week.
37. Solomon’s Seal and Wild Strawberry
Both of them work efficiently to lighten your skin tone. Steep fresh wild strawberry leaves with Solomon’s seal in hot water. Let it cool for some time and then strain. Use the splash of this herbal water on your dark skin areas daily to obtain better results.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly to remove dead cells and get a younger looking skin.
- Use sugar to exfoliate your skin. Then, soak your hand in warm water to get a cleaner and fairer skin.
- Test a remedy on a smaller patch of your skin before applying it to the larger area.
- Use sunscreen before stepping out in the sunlight.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water in a day to detox your body and skin.
- Keep yourself stress-free.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Get a beauty sleep of at least 6-8 hrs.
- Always cover your hands and feet to avoid harmful sunrays.
- Don’t step out in the sun after using bleach on your skin.
- Avoid using too much of cosmetics on your skin as it may harm the skin.
- Avoid usage of harsh products to keep your skin healthy.