Yeast infection is a fungal infection which is generally caused by candida albican. Yeast infection in women is common but it can also affect men equally. Yeast is found in the intestinal tract, genitals, and throat. In normal condition, it is not harmful, but uncontrolled growth results in several health problems. The symptoms of the infection include vaginitis, rectal itching, hyperactivity, panic attack, inflammation, and itching around the affected area, etc. Thrush (mouth yeast infection) may be observed in babies. The infection can also develop beneath the skin folds, under the nail beds, lower abdomen, breasts, and around dentures. Use of antibiotics, steroids, oral contraceptives, ailments like diabetes, stress, and pregnancy can expose you to the risk of yeast infection. Some of the lethal infections require proper medications, but if the infection is not severe and in its initial stage, it can be treated with simple home remedies. Here is a list of some popular and effective natural remedies that you can try.
Home Remedies for Yeast Infection
This is one of the most effective remedies for yeast infection during pregnancy. Include yogurt (plain and unsweetened) in your diet. The bacteria lactobacillus acidophilus in the yogurt prevents the growth of infection in the body.
- If you are suffering from vaginal yeast infection, apply yogurt on your tampon and insert it into your vagina for 1-2 hours. You can do it two times a day.
The anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antibiotic properties of garlic help treat yeast infection effectively. Crush some garlic cloves and make a smooth paste by blending it with a little water. Apply the paste on the affected area twice a day.
- You can also include the cloves in your diet.
- Or else, apply garlic oil by mixing it with an equal amount of vitamin E oil.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be used both orally and externally to cure yeast infection. ACV has lots of enzymes that kill yeast in our body. It also balances the pH level and strengthens the immune system. Mix 2 tbsp of the vinegar in a glass of warm water and have this solution twice or thrice a day and preferably on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, take a clean piece of cloth and dip it in ACV. Apply this to the affected area. Remove after 3-4 minutes. Do this twice daily, until the infection disappears.
- Mix 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 quarts of warm water. Douche with the solution daily.
- To prevent yeast infection, you can have vinegar bath. For this, add 2 cups of the vinegar to your bath tub and bathe for 15 minutes. You can do this every day until you see the results.
Note – If the infection is severe and you cannot bear the burning sensation, you can use diluted vinegar. Wash off the infected area after 15 minutes.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial and a good source of caprylic acid, which helps kill the yeast and heals the infection by forming a protective layer over the infected area. Apply the oil twice or thrice a day on the affected area and cover it with a piece of cloth.
- Include the oil in your diet. Have 3-4 tbsp of the oil daily. You can use this as cooking oil or as a substitute for butter.
- You can douche with coconut oil by mixing 2-3 tbsp of the oil in 1 quart warm water. Repeat till the infection disappears.
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes in case of oral infection. Do this twice or thrice a day.
This is one of the best home remedies for the treatment of vaginal yeast infection and UTI (urinary tract infection). The juice of cranberry is anti-bacterial and helps maintain the pH level of the urine, thereby preventing the growth of fungi. Drink a glass or two of unsweetened cranberry juice daily.
6. Boric Acid
Boric acid is also a useful remedy to get rid of yeast infection. It has antiseptic, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties that help cure the infection. Apply diluted boric acid on the affected areas of the skin and leave it for some time. Wash it afterward and pat dry.
- For vaginal infections, take powder of boric acid and size 0 gelatin capsules. Fill the whole capsule with the powder and place one in your vagina every night.
- If you use boric acid capsules as a vaginal suppository, it may result in skin irritation.
- Don’t take it internally (by mouth) and also avoid using it on open wounds.
- Keep it away from the reach of children.
- Boric acid is not recommended for pregnant women.
7. Salt Bath
Salt bath provides relief from the inflammation and eases the discomfort caused due to yeast infection. All you need to do is add some salt/Epsom salt in your bathtub and sit in it for a few minutes. This will also reduce the swelling and itching, if any. You can also add 1 cup baking soda to the bath water for more effective results.
8. Cold Compress
Though this method doesn’t treat the infection, but it provides relief in swelling and irritation caused due to the infection. Just apply the ice pack on the affected area. If you don’t have an ice pack, just put some ice in a clean cloth, tie a knot and apply it. Do this twice or thrice a day or as required.
9. Vitamin C Rich Food
This is one of the best ways to prevent yeast infection. Include food rich in vitamin C in your diet as much as possible. You can add oranges, lemon, kiwi, papaya, broccoli, etc. Besides preventing fungal growth, vitamin C also boosts up the immune system.
Like garlic, onion is also anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial. It reduces the infection and distress. Include onion in your diet. You can also apply the paste of onion on the infected areas of the skin.
- Alternatively, heat an onion and place it over the affected areas. The fumes from the onion will reach the skin and eventually work against the fungi.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide kills the yeast and hence reduces the infection. 3% hydrogen peroxide is used for this purpose as a higher concentration may be harmful. Take some amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix it in a glass of water. Wash the genitals with this mixture once a day.
- For the treatment of oral infections, add ½ tsp of baking soda in the above solution to dilute it. Swish your mouth with this solution.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps kill the bacteria and fungus that causes the infection. Mix ½ to ¾ tsp of it to a glass of water and drink it instantly. Drink this over an empty stomach daily.
Honey provides relief in vaginal and other yeast infection. Apply some honey on the infected area for at least 20 minutes and wash off later. It reduces rashes and itch caused due to the infection.
Cinnamon possesses anti-fungal properties which help treat the infection effectively. For vaginal infection, mix cinnamon bark powder with honey and make a paste. Apply this paste on the vagina.
- Alternatively, prepare infused oil by adding cinnamon sticks to any carrier oil and heating it for an hour (with the lid on). Let it cool down and apply it topically over the infected area.
- Or else, boil one cinnamon stick in a cup of water for some time. After this, remove from flame and add lime juice and honey to it. Drink it daily.
This is one of the best natural remedies for yeast infection as it does not have any side effect, until and unless you are allergic to buttermilk. Drink at least two glasses of buttermilk daily.
16. Black Seeds
Black seeds, also known as nigella sativa, are an effective remedy for yeast infection. It boosts the immune system. To cure and get rid of the infection, at least 2 tsp of the black seed’s oil must be consumed daily.
Herbal Remedies for Yeast Infection
17. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be used internally as well as externally. It helps ease out the symptoms of yeast infection. It can be consumed in the form of juice twice a day. This will remove harmful toxins from the body and make the immune system stronger.
- Alternatively, apply the gel on the infected area directly twice or thrice a day.
18. Olive Extract
Olive leaves extract boosts the immune system and stabilizes the blood sugar level along with curing the yeast infection. To make this extract at home, just cut some olive leaves and put them in a container. Pour vodka over the leaves so that they are completely submerged. Cover with the lid. Keep this container in dark for about 4 weeks or more and strain it later. Apply this on the affected area twice a day.
- You can consume 250 to 500 mg of this extract twice a day.
- You can also consume the capsules of olive extract after consulting a doctor.
Note: Pregnant women and diabetic people should not consume this.
This is one of the best yeast infection home remedies. This can be used both internally and externally. To use this externally, crush some calendula leaves and make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the infected skin and cover it with a cloth.
- To prepare tea, steep some fresh leaves of calendula in hot water. Let it cool down, strain, and drink it twice a day.
- It is also available in tincture or tablet form but don’t consume it without consulting a doctor.
Note – Pregnant women should avoid internal consumption of this herb.
20. Basil Tea
Another wonderful home remedy for yeast infection is basil tea. Boil 2-3 cups of water. Add 1¼ tsp of crushed basil leaves to it (you can also add a paste prepared by blending a handful of fresh basil leaves) and cover it for some time. Drink this tea twice a day after straining. You can also use it for gargle, if you have thrush or mouth infection.
21. Black Walnut
Black walnut is a rich source of tannins, which kills bacteria effectively. For the treatment of yeast infection, the husk (hull) of black walnut should be consumed. To obtain husk, just soak the nut for some hours.
Caution: Black walnut will stop lactation. Avoid if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
22. Grapefruit Seed Extract
The anti-fungal properties of grapefruit seed extract control the growth of pathogens, such as bacteria, yeast, and fungus. It contains vitamin C and E. Take a glass of water and add 5-10 drops of the extract to it. Use this mixture to cleanse the affected area. For delicate parts of the body such as vagina, use a cotton ball to apply this solution.
- Add 10-12 drops of the extract in water or any preferred juice. Drink this mixture, 3 times a day.
23. Essential Oils
You can use lavender oil, melaleuca essential oil, lemon oil, etc., to get rid of yeast infection. Pour 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil in a small container and add 4 drops each of melaleuca and lavender essential oil. Apply the prepared mixture on the infected areas.
- Alternatively, mix 2-3 drops of lemon oil, cinnamon oil, tea tree oil and peppermint oil. Mix these well and use a cotton ball to apply it to your genitals.
24. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil consists of carvacrol and thymol, which cure the yeast infection. Simply apply the oil to the affected area twice a day, daily.
- Or else, mix 3 drops of the oil in a glass of water and drink this water twice a day.
Note – It can cause acid reflux in some people.
25. Tea Tree Oil
It has therapeutic and anti-fungal properties. Terpinen in it helps alleviate the yeast infection. It not only treats the infection, but also reduces the marks caused by it. For curing vaginal infection, put a few drops of the oil on a tampon and place it in the vagina.
- For other areas, dilute the oil with equal parts of almond oil or olive oil and rub it over the infection gently twice or thrice a day. Repeat this daily.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tbsp of aloe gel with 2 or 3 drops of the oil and apply to the affected parts.
Precaution: Pregnant ladies should not use this oil as it can be harmful for the child.
This herb has been used since ages to treat bacterial and fungal infection, urinary tract infection, and vaginal yeast infection. It also helps boost the immune system. Add ½ tsp of the Echinacea tincture to ½ cup of water. Stir well and drink this twice or thrice a day, daily.
27. Palmarosa Oil
Palmarosa oil can also be used for yeast infection. Mix 4 drops of palmarosa oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil. Apply this mix to the affected areas.
28. Thyme Tea
Thyme is a rich source of vitamin C and prevents the uncontrolled growth of fungi. You can consume it in the form of tea. Boil one cup of water. To it, add 1 tsp of dried thyme. Let it steep for some time and drink it when it cools down. Have 2-3 cups of the tea daily.
29. Rosemary Tea
This herb kills the yeast due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. Prepare rosemary tea by adding some rosemary leaves in hot water. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, cool it down and strain. Use a cotton ball to apply it to the affected areas. Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Alternatively, drink the tea twice a day.
30. Pau d’Arco
Pau d’arco herb is antiviral in nature and is rich in lapachol and naphthoquinones. Consume it in the form of tea. Boil 4 cups of water and add 2 cups of Pau d’acro bark to it. Steep it for at least 15-20 minutes. Let it cool down. Strain and drink the tea in small portions throughout the day. Drink this tea daily until you see visible results.
31. Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm reduces the inflammation, fortifies the immune system, and detoxifies the body. The paste of this herb can be prepared by adding water to its powder. The paste must be of medium consistency, i.e., neither too thin, nor too thick. Apply this paste to the infected areas, twice daily until you see results.
Precaution: Discontinue usage if you experience any allergy.
A compound, called berberine, in goldenseal makes this herb anti-fungal and antibacterial. It strengthens the immune system by activating the white blood cells. It can be used in several ways, such as skin rinse, douche, and mouthwash.
- The root of this herb is also available in the form of tablets and capsules. It should be consumed only after consulting a doctor.
33. Oregon Grape
This is another effective natural remedy for yeast infection. This herb has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. It can be consumed in the form of tea. All you need to do is take two tbsp of dried Oregon grape root and add it to a glass of boiled water. Steep it for a few minutes. Drink it after straining. You can have three cups of the mixture daily.
Take 1 tbsp of the powdered bark and add it to 1 cup of water. Boil it for a few minutes and then let it cool down. Soak a piece of clean cloth in it and apply it on the affected area. You can also consume the infusion in the form of tea, twice daily. This remedy will give you relief from the burning sensation and itching.
35. Terminalia Chebula
This herb can be consumed in the form of tea. To prepare tea, mix 1 tsp of dried herb powder in 1 glass of hot water. Drink this before going to bed, everyday. Do not consume it in greater amount.
Caution: Do not give it to children as it is laxative.
36. Herbal Douche
The best way to treat the infection is to treat it with herbal ingredients. For preparing this douche, you will need thuja, lavender, chamomile, and calendula. Take 1 tsp powder of each of these herbs and add it to 1/3 cup of warm water. Stir well and let it steep for some time.
37. Witch Hazel
This herb reduces and eventually eliminates the infection caused by yeast. It also balances the pH level of the body. All you need to do is boil some leaves of witch hazel for 15-20 minutes. Let it cool down and wash the affected area with this water at least thrice a day. Repeat this daily at least for a week or so.
38. Margosa Leaves
Take a handful of margosa leaves and put them in a blender. Add a little amount of water and blend it to get a fine paste. Apply it on the infected skin and cover it with a gauge or a clean piece of cloth. Wash off after 30 minutes. Repeat this daily until you notice the visible results.
- Keep the vaginal area dry and wipe it thoroughly after using the toilet.
- Practice yoga and meditation.
- Consume probiotics.
- Reduce sugar and caffeine intake.
- Consult a doctor if the infection is severe.
- Wear loose clothes, preferably cotton clothes, so that proper oxygen and air circulation is maintained.
- Avoid harsh soap.
- Avoid sexual intercourse until the infection disappears.
- Avoid birth control pills as they may increase susceptibility to yeast infection.
- Avoid long baths as wet environment favors the growth of fungus.
- Avoid repetitive douching.