Upset stomach can be described as pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen. It is also referred as indigestion or dyspepsia. The common causes of an upset stomach include gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), food allergies, menstrual cramps, stress, anxiety, acidity, food poisoning, appendicitis, motion sickness, an allergic reaction, indigestion, infection in the stomach, hernia, stones in the kidney, food poisoning, overeating, excessive drinking, infection in the urinary tract, constipation, infection in gall bladder, a side effect of medication, ulcers, or even pregnancy. People may experience symptoms like heartburn, cramps, chills, nausea, vomiting, fever, passage of blood while vomiting, difficulty in breathing, watery or loose stools, abdominal bloating, and loss of appetite. To lessen these symptoms quickly, try out some simple and easily applicable home remedies to soothe an upset stomach.
It is one of the most popular and highly effective remedies to settle an upset stomach. Take 1 cup of buttermilk and add one-half teaspoon of dry ginger powder. Stir well and drink this mixture 3 to 4 times a day for up to 2 days. You may add a pinch of asafetida for quick results.
- Alternatively, add a few slices of fresh ginger in 2 cups of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Allow it to cool and drink multiple times a day.
Note – Don’t try this remedy if you are suffering from high blood pressure.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar ranks among the best home remedies to cure an upset stomach. Take a glass of water and add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. For better taste, you may add some honey. Consume this tea with your daily meal.
Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt on daily basis to treat an upset stomach. You may add apple slices or banana for better taste.
Take a glass of buttermilk and mix 1 mashed banana. Drink this thrice a day for up to 2 days. Besides, you can mash a banana in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of tamarind pulp and a pinch of salt. Consume this mixture two times daily for maximum 2 days.
5. Cumin Seeds
You may consume cumin seeds in following ways:
- Take a cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and boil the mixture for 5 minutes. Drink this warm mixture frequently for 2 days.
- Alternatively, take a glass of buttermilk; add a little bit of black salt and one – half teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds. Consume this concoction for 3 days after having your meal.
- You can also consume 1/4 teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds powder mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of honey thrice every day.
6. Cinnamon Powder
The carminative properties of cinnamon powder calms down upset stomach and balance the digestive tract. Here are three different ways in which you can consume cinnamon:
- Take a cup of hot water and add one – fourth teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Mix well and allow it to steep for 5 minutes. Sip this prepared decoction slowly. Consume this at least 4 times a day and repeat the same process for 2 days.
- In a glass of warm water, add 1 tablespoon of pure honey and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Stir well and drink it thrice a day for few days.
- Take a lightly buttered toast and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder. Eat it a couple of times for some days.
7. Fennel Seeds
The volatile oil in fennel seeds helps secrete the digestive juices. To ease the upset stomach, crush 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds and add one cup of hot water. Cover this with a lid and steep it for the next 10 minutes. Consume it three times a day until you see improvement.
- Moreover, you can have one or one and a half teaspoons of fennel seeds every day after meal.
8. Blackberry Twigs
Take a glass of water and add some dried blackberry twigs. Boil them for 15 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool down. Strain and drink thrice a day.
9. Coconut Water
Coconut water hydrates your body, and its cooling properties soothe the burning sensation. This is one of the most popular remedies for upset stomach. Just sip coconut water to reduce the uneasiness.
10. Rose Water
Consuming rose water can give you quick relief from upset stomach.
Take some parsley leaves and soak them in water for a couple of hours. Consume this water 2 to 3 times a day.
12. Stone Apple
In a glass of buttermilk, add pulp of stone apple. Mix well and drink it to treat stomach ache. Or else, you can also consider consuming its juice to treat an upset stomach.
13. Carrot Juice
Take 4 cups of water, a teaspoon of dried peppermint and four sliced carrots. Cook all together on medium heat for 15 minutes. Now, using a juicer, blend the mixture. Squeeze a lemon and sprinkle ground ginger to increase its effectiveness.
14. Cumin Seeds, Dry Mint, and Asafoetida
Make a fine powder by mixing and grinding some dry ginger, dry mint, roasted cumin seeds, black pepper, coriander, garlic, asafoetida and rock salt. Take this powder before meal with a glass of lukewarm water.
15. Tamarind Leaves
Grind 3 grams of fresh tamarind leaves to form a thin paste. Add 1 gram of rock salt and consume it.
16. Pomegranate Seeds
Take some pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle some black pepper and salt to increase its effectiveness.
Take half teaspoon of warm asafoetida along with some milk to get relief from stomach pain.
18. Lemon Soda
Take a glass of soda, squeeze one lemon juice and add a little black salt. This fizzy drink will give you a burp which, in turn, helps release the gas. Alternatively, you may also drink some plain soda to get rid of your stomach ache.
19. Baking soda
In half glass of water, add ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Stir well and consume it.
Note – Do not use this remedy if you are on a sodium-restricted diet or have high blood pressure.
Grab an apple and eat it without removing its outer peel.
21. Hot Water Pad
Take a hot water pad and soak it in some hot water. Place it on your stomach to avoid uneasiness and pain.
22. Warm Water and Lime Juice
In 50 ml of warm water, add a little bit of black salt and 2 teaspoons of lime juice. Consume this solution at least three times a day to treat an upset stomach.
23. Cola Syrup
To get relief from stomach ache, try cola syrup.
24. Rosemary Oil
Bath in hot water mixed with a few drops of rosemary oil to soothe aching stomach.
25. Burnt Toast
Eat burnt toast to cure upset stomach. You may add some jelly to make it more appetizing.
26. CRAP Diet
It stands for foods that are rich in fiber content i.e. cherries, raisins, apricots, and prunes. Eat 1/2 cup of any of these fruits 3 to 5 times in a day.
Consume papaya enzyme capsules or fresh papaya to treat your stomach. Eat half kg ripe papaya in the breakfast to cure the problem of indigestion.
28. Anise Seed
In order to balance the digestive tract, it is recommended to eat anise seed after every meal. Use plain seeds instead of sugar coated.
It stimulates the production of digestive enzymes that helps soothe upset stomach. Take a glass of buttermilk and add a tsp of roasted coriander seed powder. Drink it twice a day.
30. Carom Seeds
Take ten gram each of carom seeds, black pepper, and dry ginger powder and mix five gram each of black salt, sugar and small cardamom. Now, grind them to make a fine powder. Filter the mixture. Store it in an air tight container. Take 2-4 grams daily twice a day.
31. Rice Water
Take a pot and add 1/2 cup of white rice and 6 cups of water for 15 minutes. When the rice becomes soft, take it away from the heat and leave it for 3 minutes. Drain the rice and savor the warm water by adding some honey or sugar.
32. Fenugreek Seeds
Since seeds of fenugreek contain ample mucilage, it gives instant relief. Simply swallow 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds powder followed by 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Consume it 2 to 3 times a day.
- Or else, take a glass of water, add 1 – 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder, and drink it two times every day for 2 to 3 days.
33. Black Pepper
In a glass of buttermilk, mix 1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper and cumin seeds powder. Drink this to heal stomach heaviness.
34. Caraway Seed Tea
Grab a cup and add 1 teaspoon caraway seeds and boiled water. Cover and allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Strain and consume at least 3 cups daily.
Note – Drink this tea on an empty stomach.
Herbal Remedies for Upset Stomach
Mint is an amazing herb that helps calm down the upset stomach. You may consume it in either ways:
- Take a mixing blender, add some fresh mint leaves and extract 1 teaspoon of mint juice. Add 1 teaspoon each of lime juice and honey. Stir well. Consume it two times every day for 2 to 3 days.
- In a cup of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon of dried mint leaves. Leave it for 10 minutes. Strain and sip this refreshing tea a couple of times every day.
Take a cup of water, add one teaspoon each of peppermint leaves and chamomile flowers. Bring the mixture to boil for 15 minutes. Strain, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink this tea thrice a day. The anti-inflammatory properties of this herbal tea soothe the digestive tract.
37. Basil Leaves
Boil a cup of hot water and add a tsp of basil leaves into it. Steep the decoction for ten minutes. Filter the solution and drink thrice a day.
- Alternatively, take 3 tbsp fresh yogurt and add few ground basil leaves, a dash of black pepper and one-fourth tsp sea salt into it. Mix all the ingredients properly. Consume it thrice a day.
Take a cup, add 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves and fill it with boiled water. Cover and allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Strain, and drink this thyme tea 3 times a day on an empty stomach.
39. Aloe Vera
40. Celery Leaves
Make a paste of two grams celery leaves and add one gram rock salt into it. Consume it for instant relief.
- Consume a healthy balanced diet including vegetables salad, green leafy vegetables, and fruits.
- Pick food that has less fat.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Perform yoga and other breathing exercises.
- Go for a small walk after eating food.
- Eat small portions of food. Chew your food slowly and properly.
- Shun caffeinated drinks, coffee, and alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid intake of processed foods such as chocolates, cheese, and cream.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Don’t eat fried or spicy foods.