Halitosis is the other name given to bad breath and sometimes becomes the only reason for your low confidence level and affects your personality badly. Major cause of bad breath is the bacteria at the back of your tongue, or the food particles that stuck between your teeth. Other causes of halitosis are poor dental hygiene, alcoholism, large doses of vitamins, smoking, tonsillitis, blood disorders, dentures, menstruation, a throat or lung infection, sinusitis, cancer, gum disease, consuming a diet low in carbohydrates, cavities, gall bladder disorders, or medications. Symptoms of bad breath include a bitter metallic taste, thick saliva, post-nasal drip, and a white coating on the tongue. To avoid these symptoms we must cultivate the habit of regular tooth flossing, brushing, and tongue cleaning or scrapping. Generally, the odor is released from the upper digestive system involving stomach, teeth, mouth, esophagus and gums. It is very essential to maintain the dental hygiene so as to get rid of bad breath. Have a look at these effective and tested home remedies.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath
1. Fennel Seeds
Chew about ½ tbsp of fennel seeds after every meal to freshen up your mouth.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare fennel tea. Steep 1-2 tbsp of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for about 5-10 minutes. Have this drink after it cools down. This is an excellent cure against halitosis.
Boil one tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and strain it. Drink this tea 2-3 times daily until you get rid of bad breath. Its bactericidal property will diminish the bad odor from mouth and prevent the further occurrence of bacteria.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix one tbsp of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and have it before your meals. This will aid in digestion and also reduce the bad breath.
- Alternatively, you can gargle with this mixture to impede bad odor.
Chew few cloves and spit them afterwards. This is very natural cure for bad breath.
- Alternatively, boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp of ground cloves, allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes. This can be taken as tea or can be used as mouthwash twice a day.
5. Lemon Juice
Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water and rinse your mouth with this solution. This is one of the best home remedy to get rid of bad breath, as it inhibits the growth of bacteria. Besides, you can add some salt.
- Lemon rind can also be chewed occasionally for refreshing your mouth flavor.
Eat raw guava or fresh small guava leaves. It is rich in manganese, calcium, oxalates, minerals, iron, malic acid and oxalic acid that help keep your teeth and gum healthy. This fruit will cleanse your mouth deeply through its scrubbing action.
7. Baking Soda / Soda Bicarbonate
It helps balance the acid levels in mouth. Mix half tbsp of baking powder in one glass of lukewarm water. Swish this solution all around your mouth.
- Alternatively use baking powder as dry tooth paste and brush your teeth with it to stop bad breath.
Note: This must not be swallowed.
Chew some cardamom seeds to freshen up your breath. The rich aroma and therapeutic properties help keep the bad breath at bay.
Avocado can be eaten as raw fruit in order to combat halitosis. Alternatively, you can prepare its juice and add banana to make it appetizing. It even helps get rid of bacteria and food debris stuck in your tooth and intestines. So, have one daily to keep your mouth clean and fresh.
10. Pineapple Juice
Drink a glass of pineapple juice every day. This helps treat the problem of bad breath effectively.
Include yogurt in your daily diet. Try this method for about 6 weeks, and you will get rid of bad odor forever. The healthy bacteria in yogurt wards off bad breathe and detoxify your body
It is rightly said, “An apple a day keeps doctor away.” If we say, “An apple a day keeps bad breath away,” that is also held to be true. The anti-bacterial properties and fiber content combines along with saliva and lessen the bad breath in mouth. Eat 1-2 apples every day for the treatment of halitosis.
13. Sunflower Seeds
Chew some sunflower seeds followed by a glass of water. This is one of the simplest and effective home remedy to get rid of bad breath.
Chew a tbsp of aniseeds. It aids in digestion and helps combat bad breath.
The antioxidant properties of berries freshen up your breath. It puts off the stinky bacteria in mouth. You can top these berries in a bowl of sugar free yogurt.
16. Healthy Salad
Chop some apples, carrots, celery, walnuts and cranberries. Mix them in a large bowl and add 4 spoonfuls of yoghurt. Sprinkle some cinnamon and serve. All the ingredients used within this salad will help prevent the foul odor from mouth.
Squeeze out lemon juice and add little honey to it. Have this twice daily on empty stomach.
Drink plenty of water. Even if you cannot brush every time, swish some water in your mouth after every meal and then clean your mouth properly. Water helps loosen the food particles that get stuck in between the teeth. Besides, it helps in salivation process and prevents bad odour.
19. Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix hydrogen peroxide along with water and use it as a mouth wash before brushing. This is a very good remedy to cure bad breath.
Drink some milk before or during the meal to neutralize the sulphide content that causes bad breath in mouth.
21. Chewing Gum
Try a sugarless chewing gum, it effectively prevents bad breath. Alternatively, make use of gums with xylitol; it thwarts the replication of bacteria in mouth.
The flavor of coriander prevents the strong odors caused due to the ingredients like onions and garlic.
- Alternatively, add some salt to the roasted whole coriander seeds and chew them as a mouth freshener.
Banana is a highly nutritious food. It fights against the bacteria that cause bad breath. So include bananas in your every day diet.
24. Coffee Beans
Roast some coffee beans and chew them to prevent foul smell in your mouth.
25. Mustard Seeds
Swallow half teaspoon of mustard seeds. Or else take two tsp of mustard oil and add some kitchen salt. Swish it around your mouth for a couple of seconds and spit out the saliva.
Add a tbsp of cinnamon powder in a cup of hot water. Steep it for around 5-10 minutes and strain the mixture. You may also add cardamom and bay leaves. Allow it to cool and then swish your mouth with this solution to refresh your breath.
- Alternatively, you can chew cinnamon sticks to kill the bad breath causing bacteria.
Have a piece of cheese post meal. It prevents mouth odor, and neutralize some dietary acids. Go for a low fat cheese to cure the problem of bad breath.
Herbal Remedies for Bad Breath
The chlorophyll in parsley helps deter the mouth bacteria and combat bad breath. Chew some fresh parsley sprig.
- Alternatively, you can also dip parsley in some vinegar and then chew them thoroughly.
- Instead, take handful of parsley leaves and crush them in a mixer. Drink its juice to refresh your breath. Cloves can also be added.
29. Tea Tree Oil
Mix few drops of peppermint oil, lemon oil along with tea tree oil in a glass of water and swish in the mouth.
- Alternatively, mix few drops of tea tree oil in your toothpaste and use it regularly.
30. Oregano Oil
In order to cure halitosis, pour a few drops of oregano oil in a glass of water. Drink this solution two times a day to get rid of bad breath.
Mint leaves acts as a wonderful mouth freshener. Chew few mint leaves frequently to keep the problem of bad breath away.
32. Eucalyptus Leaves
Eucalyptus leaves effectively treat the problem of bad breath. Munch some leaves; or else, boil handful of eucalyptus leaves in some water. Use this solution as mouth wash. It is an excellent mouth freshener that helps reduce the problem of foul breath.
Brush your teeth using the twigs of margosa. It helps remove the food particles that get stuck in between the teeth, i.e., major causes of bad breath.
34. Green Tea
The antioxidant present in green tea detoxifies your body and prevents further occurrence of bacteria. Thus, aid in keeping away bad breath. Steep green tea leaves in hot water for 5 minutes and strain this mixture. Drink it two times a day.
- Alternatively, you can also go for black tea.
Note: Tea must be unsweetened, for best results.
Add some myrrh tincture to water; or alternatively massage your gums with a cotton swab drenched in tincture. This will cure the problem of bad breath.
Note: Half tbsp of tincture in ½ cup of water must be taken thrice a day.
36. Stinging Nettle
Steep 10-15 leaves of stinging nettle herb in water for about 5-10 minutes, and strain the mixture. Allow it to cool and then sip it 2-3 times a day. This herbal remedy effectively combats halitosis.
Brew a tea by boiling 10-15 leaves of basil in a cup of water. Steep it for 10-15 minutes. Strain this mixture and sip it thrice daily when it cools.
Squeeze out roots, leaves or flowers of dandelion to extract its juice and have it once a day. This helps detoxify the liver, and aids in reducing bad breath.
Cilantro is a breath deodorizer as it contains chlorophyll. Chew fresh cilantro herb sprig for that refreshing flavor in mouth. Or else, add them to your salad or any other food.
40. Peppermint Essential Oil
Take a cup of water; add one tablespoon of baking soda and few drops of peppermint oil in it. Use this solution as a mouth wash.
Brew tea from sage leaves; or munch it on directly. This herb freshen breath and prevents halitosis.
- Change your toothbrush after every 2-3 months.
- Increase intake of zinc, vitamin C and vitamin E rich foods.
- Consult a dentist in case of swollen gums, bleeding gums or pus in gums (a condition called pyorrhea).
- Visit your dentist at least two times a year for a regular dental checkup.
- Meal must be a combination of fruits, nuts, vegetables, seeds and grains. These help in treating the problem of halitosis.
- Over-the-counter medications like decongestant or antihistamines helps reduce the production of mucus in nose; and thus, avoids post nasal drip bad breath.
- Use humidifier in summers to avoid post nasal drip bad breath.
- If none of the remedy seems to work, get yourself checked for tonsil stones, trimethylaminuria, sinus, diabetes, reflux or liver problems.
- Make use of tongue scraper or toothbrush to clean your tongue as bacteria are generated after every meal.
- De-stress yourself.
- Ensure proper cleaning of dentures and braces in mouth.
- Reduce the intake of coffee.
- Avoid over consumption of foods rich in sulphide like onion, ginger and garlic.
- Stay away from refined sugars and concentrated drinks, as it promotes growth of anaerobic bacteria.
- Reduce protein intake in diet. Foods like meat and eggs must be avoided to stop bad breath.
- Fishes like anchovies, tuna and seaweeds must be avoided, as they enhance bad breath.
- Shun alcohol and tobacco.
- Avoid spicy food, since it increases nasal secretions and causes foul odor in mouth.
- Don’t skip meals.