Endometriosis is a disease in which the endometrium develops on the outer side of the uterine cavity and tissues lining the pelvis, instead of growing inside the uterus. Although the exact cause of this ailment is not known, some possible reasons are pelvic pain, dyspareunia, dysmenorrhea, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, and menstrual spotting (1). The symptoms of endometriosis include menstrual cramps, pelvic pain, rectal pain, pain during intercourse, lower backache, pain during bowel movements, etc. (2). If left untreated, it can lead to fertility problems. If you are wondering how to get rid of endometriosis or just looking for natural remedies, you are at the right place. Our home remedies for endometriosis will reduce the discomfort from cramps and help treat the condition.
1. Castor Oil
Castor oil is known to be quite an effective endometriosis treatment. It helps the body get rid of excess tissues and toxins.
- Mix 1/4 cup of castor oil and 8 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Soak a cloth in this mixture and microwave until it gets warm. Place it directly on the lower stomach.
- Place a hot water bottle on top of it.
- Do this for around 30 to 60 minutes.
Finally, rinse off with water.
- Castor oil should not be used internally (3).
- This remedy should not be used during the menstrual flow.
This amazing spice is known for its strong anti-inflammatory properties and many people are surprised to know that using trumeric for endometriosis is a highly effective treatment.
For Turmeric is also proven to have anti-endometriotic properties.
- Take 2 cups of boiling water
- Add 1 teaspoon each of ginger powder and turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and honey.
- This solution should be consumed once daily until the problem is solved.
- Alternatively, take capsules of turmeric, (300 mg) thrice a day to get relief from endometriosis.
Note: You should not consume turmeric if you are on blood-thinning medications.
3. Sitz Bath
Often naturopathic practitioners recommend cold and hot sitz bath to relieve the symptoms of endometriosis. While a hot bath helps relax the pelvic muscles, cold bath alleviates the pain and reduces the inflammation.
- Take 2 bathtubs, 1 filled with hot water and the other one filled with cold water.
- Add 8-10 drops of lavender essential oil or rosemary essential oil in both the tubs and stir well.
- For 3-5 minutes, sit in the hot water tub and then for 1 minute, sit in the cold water tub.
- Repeat around 2-5 rounds and do it thrice a week.
Note: This remedy must be avoided during menstruation.
4. Clay Pack
For getting rid of pain and inflammation, clay packs are simply one of the best home Remedies for endometriosis.
- Use these packs on the pelvic area or lower abdomen for a healing effect.
- Make a paste of water and clay and apply at least half an inch thick layer on the lower abdomen.
- Cover it using a dry cotton cloth and let it dry.
- Keep it there for around an hour.
- Do it daily.
It provides both the healing and cooling effects to the body and relieves the symptoms of endometriosis.
5. Ice Pack
Using ice packs on aching areas is one of the easiest home Remedies for endometriosis. Application of ice can provide immediate pain relief.
- Put some ice cubes in a thin cloth and wrap it.
- Place it in the pelvic area for around 15 minutes.
- You can apply it as often as required.
Those who are suffering from endometriosis are found to have high-stress levels (5). When you exercise, your brain releases chemicals named ‘endorphins’.
They work as painkillers in the body and help reduce the symptoms related to endometriosis.
To treat this disease, it is important to lower the estrogen levels in your body. A moderate workout daily can help you balance these levels. It might include back, hip, pelvic, and abdominal stretching.
Note: Guidance from a trained physical therapist can be sought.
It triggers the release of hormones. This therapy reduces inflammation and regulates the levels of prostaglandins.
Note: For the best results and assuring safety, you must visit a licensed practitioner.
8. Omega-3 Rich Diet
Endometriosis can be treated to a great extent by a healthy diet(7). Apart from flax seeds, you can consume foods packed with omega-3 fatty acids such as chia seeds, sardine, fish oil, salmon, tofu, walnuts, beef, salmon, etc.
- Flaxseed is considered as one of the best natural remedies for endometriosis. Since flaxseed contains omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, it helps slow down the growth of abnormal endometrial tissues.
- Soak around 3-4 tablespoons of flax seeds in 1 cup of water overnight. Next morning, strain and drink this water. Follow it daily until the symptoms subside.
- Other than that, ground flax seeds can also be added to yogurt, soups, smoothies, and salads.
Watermelon contains high amounts of lycopene, a compound which provides vegetables and fruit with coloring. Research states that if you consume lycopene, the risk of fibroid growth is gradually reduced.
Moreover, lycopene provides relief from clotting and pain during periods.
10. Charcoal Poultice
Making charcoal poultices and applying them to your uterus and abdomen in the night can help you get rid of toxins, and ease the inflammation and pain.
Note: For best results, it is recommended to use poultice for 5 consecutive nights.
Pineapple is said to reduce inflammation to a great extent. Consuming fresh pineapple juice daily, along with other herbal remedies would help in accelerating the process of healing. It contains bromelain, which is helpful to treat inflammation and relieve the pain.
It is a great home remedy for endometriosis. Honey acts as a perfect anti-inflammatory sweetener. You can use it instead of sugar. In order to enjoy beneficial properties, sweeten your drinking water with honey.
Note: Make sure that you use certified and pure organic honey.
13. Vitamin E
Research studies have revealed that vitamin E, being a lipid-soluble antioxidant, reduces the chronic pelvic pain in women suffering from endometriosis (8).
Vitamin E facilitates healthy uterine lining and protects cell membrane from damage. Consume food which is rich in vitamin E, so that you get a daily dose of this vitamin.
- If you are taking blood-thinning medicines, avoid intake of vitamin E as it accelerates the anti-clotting activity and the risk of bleeding also increases (9).
- It should also be avoided during the menstrual cycle.
Poor circulation is quite common in endometriosis and at such times, cinnamon helps by improving it. Moreover, it contains ‘cinnamaldehyde’, a natural component for naturally increasing progesterone.
15. Cruciferous Vegetables
Consuming these vegetables on a regular basis help alleviate the complications of endometriosis with ease.
Herbal Remedies for Endometriosis
16. Wild Asparagus
Wild Asparagus is packed with folic acid and helps treat endometriosis. A deficiency in folic acid is one of the causes of endometriosis.
Moreover, it also has vitamin E, which alleviates the cramps and pain.
- Mix a tsp of powder of this herb in a glass of milk and drink it twice daily until you feel relieved.
17. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is an effective cure for pain, swelling, and inflammation associated with endometriosis. This herb has several health benefits and if you wish to reduce stomach difficulties, start consuming chamomile tea.
- To make this tea, add 2-3 tablespoons of chamomile leaves in boiling water and allow it to boil for 10 minutes. Strain the tea and consume.
- Alternatively, intake capsule or tincture of chamomile herb but under the supervision of your doctor.
Note: Don’t take medications with chamomile as it can result in side-effects.
Dandelion is one of the best home remedies for endometriosis.
This herb detoxifies the bladder, prevents free radicals, improves the immune system and lessens the estrogen.
- To endometriosis symptoms, steep dandelion flowers in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and sip it.
This tea might taste bitter, so, you can add honey to it. You can also use dried root or leaves of this herb to prepare the tea.
19. Saraca Asoca
It is able to pacify the inflammation and regularize the lining of the uterus.
- Grind the bark to prepare a powder.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this powder and mix it in 250ml water.
- Heat the water for 15 minutes, strain the liquid and drink it twice a day.
It is known for its analgesic, immunoregulatory and anti-inflammatory properties and also helps control the cell growth. It is recommended to drink raw cannabis juice.
- Or, you can also take cannabis oil in the form of capsules.
- Apart from that, cream or lotion of cannabis can also be used to get relief from the pain.
21. Burdock Roots
Burdock root acts as the best treatment for gynecological conditions. For quick effect, add this herb to your diet. It eases the functioning of the liver as well as improves the metabolism of hormones.
- Drink 2 cups of burdock root tea every day till the symptoms subside.
- Another option is to eat this herb as a vegetable.
Motherwort, another natural herb, is no less than a blessing for women suffering from endometriosis.
The herb is quite beneficial as it ensures smooth functioning of the reproductive system.
It improves the blood flow and prevents clotting during menstruation.
- For preparing motherwort tea, boil some water and add a tbsp of this herb to it.
- Let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Consume it thrice daily for better results.
23. Essential Oils
Essential oils are one of the best home remedies for endometriosis. The best essential oils for endometriosis are thyme, chamomile, oregano, angelica, clary sage, rosemary, lavender, and geranium. You can use these essential oils in aromatherapy or in the bath.
- Alternatively, mix these oils with any carrier oil and massage in a circular motion.
24. Dong Quai
Another effective herb, Dong Quai balances progesterone and estrogen levels and lowers estrogen when it is very high.
The overall hormone levels during menopause are properly balanced with this Chinese herb. It also ensures a proper blood flow to the reproductive system.
This herb works as a uterine tonic by toning and relaxing the uterus.
25. Evening Primrose Oil
Evening Primrose Oil is a rich source of GLA (Gamma Linoleic Acid), an omega-6 fatty acid which exerts incredible healing and inflammatory properties in the body.
Our body converts GLA into good prostaglandins when it is taken internally. It is helpful in regulating the functions of our body and controlling inflammation as well and makes an excellent home remedy for endometriosis.
Note: Use this herb only after consulting your doctor as it may aggravate the symptoms in some people.
26. White Willow
White Willow acts as a magical herb for people with endometriosis. It contains salicin and other agents that relieve pain.
Don’t worry as it wouldn’t cause peptic ulcers like Aspirin, but instead, would help ease the intestinal complaints, gastritis, and ulcers.
27. Red Raspberry
Another effective remedy for Endometriosis is Red Raspberry. It contains a component which tones the muscles of the pelvic region and the uterus.
It offers relief from heavy periods and pain associated with it. A tea from its leaves can be prepared.
- Infuse a few leaves in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and drink this tea twice a day to ease the symptoms of endometriosis.
Valerian is known for its sedative and pain relieving properties. Women with Endometriosis face sleeping disorders owing to the hormonal imbalance between progesterone and estrogen during periods.
Even Valerian essential oil has a soothing effect on the abdominal pain. Apply some portion of the oil on your abdomen and gently massage until it is absorbed.
29. Chaste berry
Chaste berry is a highly recommended drug for menstrual complaints. Although it does not contain any hormones, it stimulates the pituitary gland to produce more LH or Luteinizing Hormone.
In turn, the ovaries are stimulated to produce more progesterone. Chaste berry also acts well on women feel bloated, depressed or irritable during their periods.
30. Black Cohosh
The presence of salicylic acid in Black Cohosh helps relieve the pain. The herb doesn’t have estrogenic properties and deals effectively with issues like night sweats, mood changes, reduced libido and more.
1) Do not use it if you are allergic to allergic to aspirin or salicylates.
2) It should also not be used by pregnant and breastfeeding women.
31. Blue Cohosh
You can use Blue Cohosh alone or in combination with other herbs for easing painful cramps and regulating the menstrual cycle. It mainly acts on the uterus and eases the symptoms in women with endometriosis.
- It can be consumed in the forms of tincture, tea or capsules.
Note: It should be not used during pregnancy as it can cause abortion or miscarriage.
32. Blackberry Leaf
Blackberry Leaf is one of the most powerful home remedies for endometriosis.
It can effectively rebalance excess hormones. It is mainly used in the treatment of menstrual problems owing to its estrogen balancing properties.
- Blend 1 teaspoon of dried chaste berry, 1 teaspoon of wild yarn, 1 teaspoon of dried Echinacea roots, 1 teaspoon of blackberry leaf, 1 teaspoon of cramp bark and ½ teaspoon of motherwort.
- Simmer it in half a cup of water for around 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink daily.
Astragalus is a popular herb when it comes to endometriosis treatment.
It helps safeguard the immune system of the body and also supports the capabilities of adrenal glands.
The root of this plant comprises many medicinal qualities and can be taken in the form of capsules, extract, tea or soup.
- Put 10-60 drops of this plant fluid extract in a little water and consume it 1-4 times every day.
Nettle consists of biologically active compounds which help reduce inflammation. The compounds interfere with the production of inflammatory prostaglandins, which play a great role in relieving endometriosis pain.
- In order to make nettle tea, put 2 teaspoons of nettle leaf in 10 ounces of boiling water.
- Let it soak for 10 minutes and after that, strain it and consume.
35. Milk Thistle
This herb has been used since ancient times for the treatment of various ailments related to the liver, kidney, and gallbladder (11). The seeds of the milk thistle plant are an effective home remedy for endometriosis.
As we all know, it is a popular liver tonic and is imperative for detoxing excess estrogen and reducing inflammation and pain.
- Use a tincture of these herbal seeds and consume as directed on the package.
Ginseng is very helpful in curing endometriosis. It builds the body’s immune system and helps fight difficulties caused by endometriosis.
You should take Ginseng regularly at least for a year for seeing its miraculous effects.
- Take 1-2 grams of this herb and consume it in the raw form directly.
- Use it regularly until the disease is cured.
Note: Don’ take more than 3 grams of this herb.
37. Yellow Dock Root
Yellow dock root is quite good for liver health and facilitates healthy removal of toxins.
It helps build immunity and addresses hormonal imbalances, thus proving to be an effective home remedy for women with endometriosis.
38. Witch Hazel
If you want a natural cure for abnormal bleeding, then Witch Hazel comes to your rescue. Moreover, its astringent properties prevent further infections that can happen due to abnormal bleeding.
You can apply it topically on the pelvic area to get rid of endometriosis symptoms.
Apart from calming symptoms, Artichoke helps diminish the effects of estrogen on endometrial tissue outside the womb, thus reduce inflammation.
It takes care of the balance between testosterone and estrogen and treats the condition eventually.
Licorice is a famous Chinese herb and treats various health problems, including endometriosis.
It has a soothing effect on the liver and helps enhance its functioning. You must consume licorice daily to get rid of these symptoms.
The herb is known for anti-inflammatory, diuretic and anti-fungal properties.
You can use flowers, leaves, seeds, and petals of this herb to treat various health conditions.
42. False Unicorn Root
False Unicorn root has a balancing effect on reproductive hormones.
It also helps increase low progesterone levels, normalizing irregular periods and relieving premenstrual symptoms, proving to be a blessing for women suffering from endometriosis.
Calendula is quite effective when it comes to boosting the body’s immune system. For magical effects, combine it with Echinacea.
It helps improve blood circulation and also repairs connective tissue. Moreover, it’s a natural painkiller.
The anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties of this herb are really beneficial to keep endometrial growth under control.
Feverfew is an effective home remedy for the treatment of endometriosis. It is effective for treating menstrual irregularity and kills the pain naturally.
Moreover, it has anti-inflammatory properties, which help soothe symptoms of endometriosis. It inhibits the production of prostaglandins and thus, treats the condition.
45. Ladies Mantle
Lady’s Mantle or Alchemilla is a miracle for women who suffer from endometriosis. It helps you get relief from long-lasting or painful menstruation.
It is more effective as compared to other medications. This herb contains phytohormones, which affects the production of hormones in your body.
Ginger contains Gingerol, which is a chemical known to prevent platelets and blood cells from clumping and clotting, exactly what is seen in women with endometriosis.
This magical root clears the liver by removing the excessive toxins. You can consume raw ginger, drink its tea or add it to different recipes.
- To prepare the tea, grate ginger root and add a tbsp of it to two cups water.
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and mix honey in it.
- Drink a cup of this tea twice or thrice a day.
47. Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin B complex is very important for endometriosis suffers for a variety of reasons. Firstly, the liver needs them for converting excess estrogen into less dangerous and weaker forms. B6 has shown significant results in reducing the duration and intensity of period pains, which is a great relief for women.
48. Pelvic Massage
Pelvic Massage is a very effective treatment when it comes to dealing with the pain associated with endometriosis (13).
Another important cause attributed to endometriosis is stress. Pelvic massage is a good way of reducing stress and improving the function of immune system.
You can use essential oils like lavender or sandalwood for your massage.
- Stretch your body while lying in bed.
- Take a few drops of the essential oil and rub it on your pelvic area. Massage in a rotating pattern for 5-10 minutes in a gentle manner.
- Perform it once a day to get relief from the pain.
Note: Avoid this massage during your menstrual cycle.
For years, Goldenseal has been popular for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is used in the treatment of endometriosis as it relaxes uterine muscles, helps reduce excessive bleeding and deal with endometrial growths.
It relieves the sufferers of painful inflammations of endometriosis. This herb is also effective in healing inflammation and infections in the reproductive system.
50. Gotu Kola
It prevents the formation of adhesions in the uterus. This herb can also treat the disorders related to stress.
Peony is an herb which, if used in combination with other fertility herbs, works the best.
This herb has proven its effectiveness in dealing with painful menstruation, endometriosis, uterine fibroids as well as PCOS. It has exhibited analgesic qualities, smooth muscle relaxant ability, and anti-spasmodic activity.
- Try all possible ways of reducing stress and anxiety.
- Always maintain a healthy diet as it would help in fighting the disease.
- Sleep well. Make sure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep daily.
- Opt for regular physical exercise without much strain like yoga, walking.
- Drink mineral water as it is pure water and is free from chlorine.
- Do add fish to your diet, as it helps relieve the symptoms.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Do not eat excess animal fats.
- Do not smoke as it would cause a lot of harm.
- Do not include chicken or non-organic meat in your diet plan.
- Avoid junk food as much as possible.