Canker sore or aphthous ulcer is a type of ulcer that appears inside your mouth, tongue, lips or cheeks. This may occur several times a year and to people of any age group. Generally women and teens are more prone to this type of ulcer. Unlike cold sore this does not spread to other people. The cause of canker sore is unknown but it is assumed that it can be caused due to tissue injury, bacterial infection, food allergies or trauma to mouth. Complex canker sore can also be caused due to immune system imbalances, iron deficiency, nutritional problems or gastrointestinal diseases. There are no such glaring symptoms of the disease but you may observe itchy or burning sensation in the mouth or red and yellow crater. You can get rid of these sores effectively with some home remedies and they do not require medications. Here we have prepared a list of several simple natural remedies that can help you with the sore. Check them out.
Home Remedies To Treat Canker Sore
Clove is known to treat pain for ages, especially pain in the mouth. The compound eugenol is responsible for its pain relieving properties. You can use clove in several forms:
- Put a piece of clove in your mouth to get relief from the pain caused by the canker sore.
- You can mix clove oil with other essential oils like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil in about 1 to 20 parts of ratio and apply it over the canker sore using a cotton swab or cotton balls after swishing your mouth with lukewarm water. Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Apply a little clove paste over the affected area twice a day. To make this, mix clove powder with olive oil in enough amount to cover your sore.
- Alternatively, you can make a tea and add a few cloves in it to drink it once a day.
Note: The best oil to use with clove oil is coconut oil as it has some effects against the bacterial function.
Honey provides relief in the itching and burning sensation caused due to canker sore. It is anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial in nature. All you need to do is:
- Apply one tbsp. of raw honey on the infected area twice or thrice a day to get rid of the canker sore fast.
- Combine ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder to a teaspoon of honey and make a fine paste. Apply this paste on the canker sore and wait for some time. Gargle well with lukewarm water and repeat it twice a day.
- Or, you can mix some honey with ginger paste to get rid of the sores effectively.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey to 1/4th cup of coconut milk and using a piece of cotton, rub this mix gently over the sore twice or thrice a day.
3. Cayenne Pepper
One should not consume spicy food when they are suffering from canker sore but, this pepper unlike others is helpful in treating the infection. A compound capsaicin in this pepper is responsible for its medicinal properties. Some methods to consume it to treat the sores are:
- Make a paste by adding a little water to the fresh pepper and blending it. Apply a layer of this paste on the ulcers and let it rest. It may cause some discomfort for some time but it is fine. Re-apply this 2-3 times in a day.
- You can eat some candies that use cayenne pepper as one of their chief ingredients.
- You may also add a tsp each of myrrh powder, cayenne pepper, and goldenseal powder into a cup of water and rinse your mouth with it.
Note: It may be harmful for kids under 2 years of age and high doses for longer duration may be harmful.
Yogurt is natural cooling agent and it helps balance the bacteria in the mouth that causes canker sore. It is made by bacterial fermentation that is, using yeast or bacteria to convert carbohydrates into organic acids. Include plain yogurt with live cultures (confirm that it contains live cultures before buying and make sure to purchase a plain one, not flavored ) in your diet as much as possible.
5. Salt Water
Gargling with salt water helps reduce the swelling and inflammation of the cells in the mucous membrane at the back of the throat caused by the canker sore. For this, take ¼ cup of warm water and to it, add ½ tbsp of salt. Swish your mouth with this at least three times a day to get relief from pain and puffiness. This method will also help get rid of canker sore on tongue.
This method will not cure canker sore but will prevent it from spreading and also provide relief. If your ulcer is in the position where it keeps on rubbing with the teeth or braces then prepare a mix using beeswax and coconut oil. Just melt 1 tbsp of beeswax with 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Apply this gently over the infected area after it is cooled down. You can also apply this over the braces so that it does not touch and harm your ulcer.
Note: Make a thick paste if you are using it for braces. For this add more beeswax to the mix.
Raisins are not only tasty but healthy too. All you need to do is soak a handful of raisins in a cup of water overnight. Next morning, apply these raisins on the affected area or you can eat them by draining the water and in some cases, you can drink the water as well. Do this regularly to cure canker sores.
8. Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda neutralizes the acidity in mouth and also balances the pH level of mouth. It soothes the pain caused by canker sores. It also possesses anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that kill the bacteria which causes this ulcer. To cure the ulcer, baking soda can be used in the following ways:
- Make a paste by adding water to baking soda and apply it directly on the affected area of your mouth using a cotton bud or finger. Let it sit for some time and wash off thoroughly later on. Do this at least once every day.
- You can directly apply the powder to the affected area and wash off after 5 minutes.
- Else, to prepare a mouth wash, just mix 1 tsp of baking soda to a glass of lukewarm water and rinse your mouth with this. This can be done once a day.
- Baking soda can also be used with salt. For this, take equal amount of salt, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda. Wash your mouth with this solution 5 times a day.
- You can clean your mouth with aloe juice and apply baking soda after it. Repeat it 2 times a day.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide balances the level of good bacteria in the mouth and also prevents future canker sores. It is a disinfectant and an antiseptic therefore it reduces swelling and inflammation caused by the ulcer. As it is antibacterial so it also heals canker sores. It can be used in several ways:
- Take desired amount of hydrogen peroxide and dilute it with equal amount of water. You can also use milk of magnesia if desired. Use a cotton ball or a cotton bud and apply this mix on the infected areas of your mouth.
- To prepare a mouthwash, add 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide to a glass of water or you can also use it directly. Rinse your mouth with the prepared solution. Swish for 2 minutes and spit later on. You can do this twice or thrice a day.
- Or, mix hydrogen peroxide and water in the ratio of 1:1. To this, add 1 or 2 zinc lozenges and stir until dissolved. Use the mix 2-3 times a day to gargle.
Note: If you are rinsing your mouth without diluting the liquid, make sure that you don’t swallow it.
10. Vitamin E
To keep the tissues in mouth oiled and to ease the burning sensation caused by the canker sore, you can apply vitamin E oil. For this just cut a vitamin E capsule and squeeze out its liquid. Apply it on the affected areas. It will create a protective layer over the infection and prevent it from spreading and hence help heal quickly.
11. Vitamin B-12
The canker sore may be caused due to deficiency of vitamin B-12 also. This deficiency is generally prevalent in kids but can be found in adults too.
- Just like vitamin E, the content of vitamin B-12 capsule can be directly applied over the infected areas of your mouth.
- Alternatively, you can take vitamin B-12 capsules daily.
Caution: Consume capsules only after consulting a doctor only when the deficiency of this vitamin is the reason behind your sore.
12. Black Tea Bag
Black tea contains tannins which is astringent in nature and hence reduces the inflammation caused by the canker sore. It also catalyzes the healing process.
- All you need to do is just put one tea bag in hot water for some time and then take it out to put it over the canker sore for 15- 20 minutes. Do this 2-3 times every day for faster healing.
- You can also prepare black tea by brewing 1 tsp of black tea in a cup of warm water for some time. Drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day.
13. Milk Of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia is helpful because it has antacid which counteracts with the acidic environment which reduces the functioning of the sore-causing bacteria.
- You can apply the milk directly over the canker sore. Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Alternatively, Add equal amount of milk of magnesia and Benadryl allergy liquid. Rinse your mouth with this. Swish for at least a minute or two and spit out. This will speed up the healing process and will form a protective layer that prevents irritation caused due to hot, cold or spicy food.
Note: Make sure you do not swallow the liquid.
To get rid of canker sore you can also use coriander. It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-fungal in nature which can effectively treat and soothe the canker sores.
- To make a paste, you will need 1/4 tsp of coriander powder 1 tsp of honey (optional but recommended) and 1 tsp of milk. Apply this mix on your ulcers after washing them thoroughly with lukewarm water. Leave it there for 5 to 10 minutes and wash again with warm water after that.
- You can also boil some coriander leaves or seeds in some water and swish your mouth with it 3-4 times a day.
- Another method is to take coriander juice orally by sipping it and keeping it in your mouth for few moments so that it can show its magic on the ulcers in a better way.
This is another wonderful ingredient that helps heal the canker sore. Onions contain sulfur and anti-bacterial properties which is the main reason behind its healing properties.
- You can apply a slice of onion on the affected portions of your mouth for 15-20 minutes. Repeat this two-three times a day.
- Alternatively, grate the onion and squeeze it to extract the juice. Apply this juice over the infected areas of the mouth.
- Add raw onions in your diet and leave it for some time in the mouth to heal the ulcers internally.
This is one of the effective remedies for canker sore. Just take a piece of alum and rub it gently over the areas affected with canker sore.
- Take a pea sized alum and keep it in your mouth for about a minute and don’t swallow the saliva. After one minute spit out the saliva and alum. Do not rinse your mouth with water. Within 24 hours, the pain will disappear.
- You can also make a paste by adding a drop of water to 1/8 teaspoon of powdered alum in a cup. Apply it directly over the canker sore. Rinse well after a minute or two.
17. Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial and hence, beneficial to soothe the pain of canker sores. Oil pulling method not only cures the canker but also prevents ulcers and removes all the toxins and bacteria from the mouth.
- For oil pulling, swish some coconut oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes (initially for 2-3 minutes) and then spit it in a dustbin. Do this oil pulling twice a day, daily for best results.
- Alternatively, if you are uncomfortable with the pulling method, just apply some oil on a cotton ball and place it on the canker sore. Do this twice or thrice a day to heal it effectively.
18. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is another effective remedy for canker sore on gum and mouth. The acidic nature of the vinegar is responsible for killing bacteria that causes this sore. This may be little harsh on application but it is fast fix for the sore.
- Just apply apple cider vinegar to your canker sore of mouth, tongue, lips and wherever you have the ulcers. Do this up to three or four times a day. Repeat daily until you notice changes.
- Or, mix 2 tbsp of aloe vera juice and 1 tbsp of ACV. Rinse with this mixture by swishing around in your mouth for a couple of minutes. Use cold water after this to clean your mouth thoroughly and to remove the unpleasant taste of the mix.
- Alternatively, you can mix equal parts of ACV and brewed, cooled down black tea in a container and shake it well. Swish the mixture in your mouth for about 1-2 minutes and then spit it out. You can try this remedy before and after morning and evening meals and could refrigerate the mixture for up to 48 hours.
Papaya contains papain and is a rich source of beta-carotene. Therefore, it not only reduces the inflammation but treats the sore effectively. All you need to do is add fresh papaya to your meals. Eat at least a bowl full of papaya daily. Alternatively, you can chew in some papaya leaves too.
Caution: Pregnant ladies should not consume papaya.
Turmeric has been used since ages for the treatment of numerous ailments and diseases. It has lots of anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial properties. It is also effective in treating canker sore and its symptoms.
- For this remedy, the ingredients you will need includes: lemon juice, turmeric and rose water. Firstly, soak some pieces of turmeric in lemon juice for a day. Next day, take a piece out of it and blend it with rose water to form a paste. Apply this paste on the infected areas of your mouth, tongue and lips. Let it stay there for some time and wash it off later.
21. Plum Juice
For treating canker sore of mouth and tongue, you can use plum juice. It will reduce the swelling, pain and redness of the sores.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of the juice and rinse your mouth with this by swishing for at least 2 minutes a day.
- Alternatively, soak a cotton swab or cotton ball in the juice, apply it directly to the affected area for 5 minutes after washing the area with lukewarm water.
This is one of the best homemade remedies to get rid of canker sore fast. Grapefruit contains essential bioflavonoid and anti-bacterial properties which can cure the canker sore real fast.
- For this remedy to work, you will need grapefruit juice and water. Mix 5-6 drops of grapefruit juice with some water and gargle with this mixture at least once or twice a day.
- Or, you can mix 1 tbsp of grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water to rinse your mouth.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tbsp of grapefruit seed extract into a glass of water. Use this water to rinse your mouth 3 times a day.
23. Ice Pack
This is the simplest and easiest way to heal the sore. All you need to do is put a piece of ice over the sore and gently rub it. This will not only reduce inflammation but will reduce the sore also. Repeat this several times a day, daily until you see visible results.
24. Indian Gooseberry
Mouth ulcers can be a result of deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals from the body. Below are some remedies to overcome the problem using this ingredient:
- To get relief in pain, prepare a paste by crushing some gooseberries and apply the paste directly over the affected areas. Repeat it twice a day for better results.
- Or, you can use dried gooseberry powder 1-2 tsp and add 1 tsp of honey to it to make a fine paste. Apply this paste in the same manner as mentioned above.
- In addition to above remedies, you can also drink gooseberry juice to improve immunity and thereby treat canker sore.
25. Food Rich in Vitamin C and Iron
Consumption of food that is rich in vitamin C helps with the problem of canker sore. This vitamin repairs the mucous membrane and helps rebuild the skin surrounding the ulcer. Incorporate vegetables and fruits that have high content of this vitamin such as oranges, tomatoes, kiwifruit, strawberries, lemon, etc., in your diet to heal quickly.
Buttermilk is slightly acidic in nature which is why it is helpful in canker sore. This acidic property helps reduce the pain caused due to the sore.
- Apply plain (unflavoured) buttermilk over the affected area twice or thrice a day to heal the sore.
- Prepare a solution by mixing equal amount of buttermilk and paste of harir herb. Gargle with this solution to get relief rapidly.
Cucumber is known to provide soothing and calming effect on various skin infections and ailments due to its high water content. Besides high water content, the essential compounds in cucumber helps heal the sore faster. It is extremely beneficial for sores of the tongue. Just crush some cucumber properly to strain the juice out of it and apply it over the affected portion. Repeat this several times a day for effective results.
Cardamom helps reduce swelling and eliminates the pain caused due to canker sore. To get relief, mix thoroughly 1 tsp of cardamom extract with 1/2 tsp of honey. Massage gently with this solution using a cotton bud and leave it for a couple of minutes. Wash it off after some time with regular water. Repeat this process twice or thrice a day for satisfactory results.
Herbal Remedies For Canker Sore
29. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm consists of mucilage which forms a gel like consistency when mixed with water. It is effective for the treatment of canker sore as it provides relief in inflammation and pain.
- All you need to do is take 1 tsp of slippery elm bark powder and add enough water to form a paste. Stir well and apply this on to the affected area.
- Or, you can suck on some slippery elm lozenges to get rid of those sores faster.
- Alternatively, you can also rinse your mouth with tea prepared with this powder. Just add 1 tsp of this powder to a cup of water and gargle or you can drink it too.
Note: Pregnant women should strictly avoid it as it could cause an abortion or miscarriage.
30. Cactus Juice
Cactus juice treats canker sore by dehydrating and eventually shrinking the ulcer. It exerts a drying effect on the ulcer. All you need to do is let the juice in your mouth for at least 20 seconds. Repeat the process twice a day for at least 3 days to get rid of the ulcers completely.
31. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is another effective remedy for lip and mouth canker sore. It is wonderful healing ingredient and it not only cures the sore but also eases out the pain caused due to it.
- Just take a fresh aloe leaf and take the gel out of it. Apply it directly on the affected area. Repeat this several times a day to get relief.
- Alternatively, rinse your mouth with aloe juice 2 or 3 times a day.
32. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves have lots of medicinal properties which are helpful in various mouth sores.
- For the treatment of canker sores, chew 3-4 basil leaves at a time, at least thrice and up to 6 times a day.
- Alternatively, prepare a mouthwash to kill the germs by adding some of the basil leaves in a glass of water and boiling it. Use this solution to rinse your mouth after straining.
Licorice is a root of glychyrrhiza glabra which possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Due to this property, it eases the pain and soothes inflammation.
- You can suck a stick of licorice root regularly to get relief from canker sores.
- Take some licorice root extract and apply this directly on the ulcer and let it sit for some time. Wash it afterwards. Do this twice or thrice a day and it will reduce the ulcer size and promote fast healing.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare a mouth wash. For this soak 1 tbsp of licorice root in 2 cups of water for at least 3 hours. Strain and rinse thoroughly with swishing for 1-2 minutes. Do this twice a day to get relief in canker sore.
- Besides this, drink at least one cup of licorice tea daily. For this put a tea bag of licorice tea in a cup of boiling water and let it be covered for 10 minutes, then drink.
Note: Overdose is harmful and pregnant or breast-feeding mothers should avoid using it.
34. Indian Lilac
This plant has been used for ages to treat several infections and diseases. It is a wonderful antibacterial and anti-fungal plant and is effective in the treatment of canker sore. It can be used in several ways.
- Take handful of lilac leaves and boil them in water. When boiled, strain the water and let it cool down. Gargle with this water after every meal.
- Alternatively, you can eat some leaves of this plant once a day to kill bacterias in the mouth.
Note: As the taste of the leaves are extremely bitter, use a mouthwash to rinse your mouth afterwards.
Fenugreek is another effective ingredient that helps cure ulcer. For the remedy:
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Blend it into a smooth paste the following day with pure honey. Apply this paste on to the canker sore of lips, tongue and mouth to reduce the infections and to heal faster.
- Alternatively, you can boil some fenugreek seeds and swish your mouth with the boiled water for 5 minutes. You can also drink the water if desired.
- You can also include fenugreek in your diet by adding it to your veggies.
- Or, if fresh fenugreek leaves are available, then prepare an extract by boiling a handful of fenugreek leaves in a glass of water. Use this extract at least twice a day to gargle.
Note: Pregnant ladies should not exceed the consumption more than it is in the food.
It is a wonderful herb that kills the bacteria and virus that are responsible for the diseases and symptoms related to it. The calming property of the herb cures the pain and inflammation to a great extent.
- Take a handful of fresh sage leaves or if not available, take 3 tsp of dried sage leaves. Add it to 2 cups of water. Boil it for 10-15 minutes and let it cool down. Swish your mouth with this for 2 minutes at least. Do this 3-4 times daily.
- Or else, apply sage powder directly on the sore or you can make a paste out of it by blending it with water. Apply the paste directly on your ulcer on tongue, mouth or lip. Repeat it several times a day to get effective results.
Note: High dosage may be harmful.
This is another effective remedy for canker sore on gum, tongue and mouth. Goldenseal is anti-inflammatory and hence it reduces swelling and pain in the ulcer. Besidesits pain killing effect, this herb also kills the bacteria that are responsible for canker sore as it is antiseptic and has astringent properties too.
- Just apply the powder directly over the affected part or apply the mixture of goldenseal powder and water with a cotton ball and leave it there for a while it wash it off later on. Repeat it 2 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can also drink a tea made up of goldenseal root to soothe the pain of the canker sores.
- You can also add 1/4 tsp of goldenseal powder, 1 tsp of myrrh powder, 2 sprigs of parsley (chopped), and 3 cloves into 2 cups of hot water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Later, rinse your mouth with this tea for effective results.
- Or, apply wet teabags of goldenseal on the affected areas.
- Prepare a mouthwash by adding 1/2 tsp of goldenseal powder, 1/4 tsp of salt to a cup of warm water. Use the prepared solution to rinse your mouth and speed-up the healing process.
38. Sorrel Herb
This herb is astringent and antibacterial and is rich in vitamin C. If you want to get rid of the pain of sore immediately then, take a piece of sorrel herb and put it over the sore. Leave it there for a minute or so and spit out the saliva. Repeat this process several times a day with a break of a minute in between.
Note: Large amount of sorrel may increase the risk of kidney stones.
39. Tea Tree Oil
This is yet another easy and effective natural remedy for the treatment of canker sore. Tea tree oil will immediately numb the pain and can be used in the following ways:
- Dilute 2 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 tbsp of water. Take a piece of cotton and dip it in this water. Place it over the sore and hold it there for some time. Repeat again. Do this twice a day to heal the pain and cure the sore completely.
- Alternatively, you can mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in a glass of water and use it as a mouth wash to use 3 times a day. Repeat it for some days and see the difference.
- If your ulcers are severe, you can directly apply this oil over them twice or thrice a day.
40. Essential Oil Spray
Mostly all essential oils possess anti-inflammatory qualities and are anti-microbial also but, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil are the best for the treatment of ulcers. To make the spray, you will need 8 drops of eucalyptus oil, 10 drops of peppermint oil and 2 tbsp of olive or grape seed oil. Mix all of them in a small spray bottle to shake it well. Spray the mixture on the affected areas. Shake well before every use. Use it twice or thrice a day.
41. Kale and Carrot
Food plays a major role in any disease or ailments. It is essential to have a diet that is balanced and contains required minerals and proteins. Vitamin B complex is one of the compounds that helps heal the sores. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which helps it treating the canker sores more efficiently. To include this in your diet, prepare a juice using some carrots, five leaves of kale and some parsley or spinach. Add this to a juicer to extract the juice and drink it twice a day at least.
42. Oregano Oil
Oregano is not only a herb that makes your pizzas and pastas tastier but possess many medicinal properties too. It is antibacterial, antiviral and an antioxidant. These medicinal properties help it heal many types of mouth sore including canker.
- Take a piece of cotton and put 1-2 drops of wild oregano oil on it. Apply the oil through the cotton onto the sore for 10 minutes or so (without eating or drinking anything). It may cause some irritation or burning sensation for couple of minutes but, it will go away after sometime.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a mouthwash by mixing wild oregano with olive oil. Add 6 drops of oregano oil to 1 drop of wild oregano oil and rinse your mouth with it for minimum 2 minutes (longer if you can).
Note: Don’t use pure, essential wild oregano oil as it should not be put directly on the skin. Use a diluted version of it available in market (most commonly, it is mixed with olive oil already).
Echinacea is another herb that can treat mouth sores and ulcers including canker. It boosts the immune system and is filled with antiviral and healing properties. Swishing with liquid Echinacea for 2-3 minutes, thrice a day will heal the ulcer effectively.
44. Nettle and Chicory Tea
Nettle is a very good source of iron. This stingy plant is edible when cooked. Chicory also has lots of medicinal uses. To prepare an herbal mixture, assemble sage, chicory and nettle in the ratio of 1:3:3 in water. Keep the mixture aside for 24 hours after adding cold water to it. After it starts to boil let it steep for 5 minutes. Drink this thrice a day after straining the mixture.
45. Myrrh Herb
This herb consists of tannic acid and has lots of anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It can be used for treatment of canker sore.
- Just take a capsule and pierce it to get the powder. Apply this powder directly over the affected areas of your mouth twice a day.
- You can also rinse your mouth with the herbal extract. For this, take 200mg of the extract and mix it in warm water. Swish for 1-2 minutes with this water. Repeat daily.
46. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is very effective for the treatment of canker sore on lip and mouth. It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-bacterial in nature and therefore reduces inflammation and eases out the discomfort. It contains bisabolol, a component which is highly effective in treating the sores.
Chamomile can be used in various ways:
- Apply wet tea bag over the sore for some time. Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Dip the chamomile tea bag in a glass of hot water for some time and drink this tea at least twice a day to heal the sore. If you do not have teabags, you can use 3-4 dried flowers and prepare a tea by adding them to boiled water.
47. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is another wonderful cure for mouth ulcers. It reduces swelling and helps kill bacteria and germs developed around the sore. To use this, take some amount of oil on a cotton swab and massage gently with it over the affected area. Or, you can mix it with honey butter or any other oil. Repeat this twice a day at least for visible results.
48. Melaleuca Oil
Melaleuca oil is a wonderful natural moisturizer and anti-oxidant which repairs dead skin cells. To use this oil for canker sore, make a thick paste by mixing 1 tsp of the oil, some honey and egg yolk. Apply this paste on the affected areas and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash it off with regular water later on. Repeat this daily until you notice improvement in the condition.
49. Canker Root
Canker root or Coptis Groenlandica, is also known as yellow root or mouth root. The anti-inflammatory compound called berberine is responsible for its positive effect to treat canker sores in mouth.
- To get relief from the pain and swelling in the sore, chew small amount of fresh herb daily.
- Alternatively, drink a cup of tea prepared by brewing this root in water for some time.
50. Geranium Herb
Geranium Maculatum has been used for decades to get rid of canker sores. It is known to treat cuts, wounds and scrapes in native America for years. It is an astringent and therefore causes contraction in the tissues of canker sore. It helps stop bleeding too. You can apply salve or tincture of this herb directly over the sore to heal the mouth quickly. You can also dilute the extract of the herb in water and use it as a mouthwash which will relieve the pain.
General Note: Pregnant women, small children and breast-feeding mothers should avoid and consult a doctor before the intake of herbal remedies.
1. Eat food that can be swallowed easily such as soups, smoothies, etc.
2. Eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables that are rich in iron and other minerals.
3. If required, use a straw so that it does not hurt the sore.
4. Include yogurt, cheese, and banana in your diet plan.
5. Use petroleum jelly or lemon extract lip balm to moisturize the area and heal it faster.
6. Always wash your hands if you touch the sore.
7. Change your toothbrush before and after your sore is healed as it may spread viruses.
1. Don’t have too many hot drinks.
2. Don’t stress.
3. Don’t consume spicy and acidic food.
4. Don’t share your lipsticks and other cosmetics with others.