Heartburn is the condition of acute pain below or behind the breastbone (1). The condition is caused due to the stomach acid, which refluxes upwards and comes in contact with the lining of the esophagus. It is also known as GERD or gastro-esophageal reflux disease (2). The symptoms may be burning sensation in the throat, a rumbling stomach, a bad taste in the mouth, etc. (3). There may be several reasons behind this condition, like oily &spicy food, chocolates, citrus fruits, etc. Apart from the food, some medicines like ibuprofen can also cause heartburn. There are several home remedies for heartburn that do work but the best ingredient is available in your kitchen. Try baking soda for heartburn. It works..
But is baking soda good for heartburn too? The answer is yes.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is great for heartburn because it is alkaline in nature and it balances the pH of the body.
It is an antacid which means it is a base and hence, it neutralizes the acid in our body (4,). Therefore, it is one of the effective remedies for heartburn. Now, let’s have a look at the methods for using it.
1. Baking Soda with Water
The easiest way to use baking soda for heartburn is to use it with water. It has been already proven that the soda provides relief in the condition of heartburn (6). Just dissolve 1 tsp of the soda in a glass of cold water and drink it after the fizz disappears. Repeat it 2-3 times, daily for satisfactory results.
2. Baking Soda and Lemon
Lemon juice helps with digestion and other liver problems since it is rich in vitamin C, B-vitamins, calcium, and other minerals (7). Mixing it with baking soda helps relieve the symptoms of heartburn too. Just add ½ tsp both of baking soda and lemon juice in a cup of warm water and drink it every day to heal the condition.
3. Baking Soda with Honey
Honey has been used since ages to provide relief from allergies, upset stomach, and many other ailments (8). It consists of numerous vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium, sodium, zinc, B-vitamins, and vitamin C (10). Baking soda, when combined with honey forms a perfect combination for the treatment of heartburn.
4. Apple cider vinegar and baking soda for acid reflux
For the remedy, mix 1/4th tsp of baking soda, 2 tbsp ACV in 200 ml(or a glass) of water. Drink it twice or thrice a day before meals. Do this for a maximum of 5 days.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tsp of baking soda, ½ tsp of lemon juice, and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink it daily to get relief from the condition.
5. Simply Baking Soda
These days baking soda is also available in the form of tablets, capsules, pills, solution, granules, etc. (12).These can also be taken orally to cure the symptoms of the heartburn and the condition.
Note: For the daily dosages, please consult a doctor. Too much consumption of soda can cause other problems.
1) Stop smoking and consuming tobacco to get rid of heartburn.
2) Avoid coffee, chocolate, peppermint, etc., while taking the treatment for this disease.
3) Don’t eat anything before 3 hours of going to bed as that may worsen the condition (13).
4) Take medicines only after consulting a doctor.
5) If the problem is severe or persists for a long time, consult a doctor.
6) If you are following a low sodium diet, then you should refrain yourself from using baking soda.
8) Pregnant women should avoid using baking soda.